Rounding out the roster

rferry

It's safe to assume there are 22 spots accounted for on the roster. Cabrera, Castilla, Conine, Delgado, Easley, Encarnacion, Gonzalez, LoDuca, Lowell, Beckett, Burnett, Leiter, Valdes, Willis, Alfonseca, Jones, Mecir, Mota, Perisho, Reidling and Spooneybarger all having won jobs because their exceptional abilities and/or contract status.

Leaving just three spots available. For a little Hot Stove fun... If you had the chance to fill out the roster before spring training, who would you pick to join the big league club? Feel free to state your reasons. Or include a player (maybe a 13th pitcher?) not listed.

Below is a listing of potential candidates taken from the 40-man roster and non-roster invitees. Lefthanded and switch-hitters noted in parentheses.

Catchers

Mike DiFelice

Matt Treanor

Josh Willingham - also corner infield and outfield

Infielders

1B Admin Barnes (LH)

IF Wilson Delgado (SH)

2B/3B Joe Dillon - also corner outfield

1B Jason Stokes

IF Derek Wathan (SH) - also outfield

IF Josh Wilson

Outfielders/Firstbasemen

OF Chris Aguila

COF Mike Colangelo

LF Lenny Harris (LH) - also corner infield

OF Jeremy Hermida (LH)

OF Mark Little

COF Matt Padgett (LH)

OF Eric Reed (LH)

Di Felice

Wilson Delgado

Agulia

677831[/snapback]

Those are the 3 that I'd pick...

Although, I know this isn't very popular here, but I'd love to see Lenny back for one more year. I know he's basically a waste of a roster spot, but he came through pretty big towards the end last year and he's a great veteran presence to have.

Di Felice

Wilson Delgado

Agulia

677831[/snapback]

Those are the 3 that I'd pick...

Although, I know this isn't very popular here, but I'd love to see Lenny back for one more year. I know he's basically a waste of a roster spot, but he came through pretty big towards the end last year and he's a great veteran presence to have.

677858[/snapback]

Four words:

Eric Gagne, Blown Save.

Lenny will be on the roster.

Spooney isn't a shoe-in until the status of his health/arm is certain so that potentially frees up another roster spot.

I also believe having gone out and put together a veteran team to make run at the post season, you aren't going to see three rookies on the bench regardless of how deserving they are (based on their spring training performances). Knowing Jack, and I'm not saying it's fair, he'll go with guys with major league experience first and let the "kids" do their thing in AA and AAA.

CA LoDuca & Defelice

1B Carlos Delgado

2B Luis Castillo

SS Alex Gonzalez

3B Mike Lowell

1/2 Damion Easley

MI Wilson Delgado

LF Jeff Conine

CF Juan Pierre

RF Miguel Cabrera

OF Juan Encarncion

OF Chris Aguila

PH Lenny Harris

SP Josh Beckett

SP AJ Burnett

SP Dontrelle Willis

SP Al Leiter

SP Ismael Valdez

RP Guillermo Mota

RP Antonio Alfonseca

RP Todd Jones

RP Jim Mecir

RP John Reidling

RP Matt Perisho

Spooney isn't a shoe-in until the status of his health/arm is certain so that potentially frees up another roster spot.

I also believe having gone out and put together a veteran team to make run at the post season, you aren't going to see three rookies on the bench regardless of how deserving they are (based on their spring training performances). Knowing Jack, and I'm not saying it's fair, he'll go with guys with major league experience first and let the "kids" do their thing in AA and AAA.

678167[/snapback]

I'd have to agree with you.

Only "kid" I see making the team is Aguila. Other than that it's whoever has a better spring of DiFelice/Treanor (Willy's going to stay in the minors and play), and Harris'll be there too.

Cabrera/Conine/Easley's ability to cover any of the infield positions in the case of injury to a starter makes Wilson Delgado the odd-man out of deserving bench candidates victimized by an extensive bullpen roster with guaranteed contracts.

The extra outfielders now become less important. With Enc/Conine you have your 4th outfielder, and even Easley if he has to. So Aguila would pretty much round out the outfield. That's one.

Gotta have a 2nd catcher. Willingham would be great, but you'd be tempted to have him pinch hit a lot, & then you've lost your backup catcher. With either Treanor or DiFelice you're not concerned with offense, just calling a decent game. DiFelice has more experience, but I didn't see anything wrong with Treanor & so I don't see why he shouldn't get a shot.

3rd you get a bat. They don't need more defense. I agree with TSwift, Easley/Niner/Cabs takes care of the infield in a pinch, so I'd grab either Dillon or Willingham.