Bench Philosophy...

Malman

The ongoing debate over our bench...JWilly v. DiFelice, Aguila v. Harris, etc. basically comes down to a difference in philosophies...would you rather have an experienced veteran who accepts their role and is willing to go weeks without any action versus a young up & coming yplayer who is eager to make his mark???

I would rather have Willingham and Aguila continue to play everyday in Triple A vs. inactivity on the Marlin bench. If an injury were to occur...then I would dip into the farm and tab one of the youngsters as a replacement. My feeling is that unless that are starting for the Marlins they are better off playing everyday in the minors.

Thoughts?

:mischief2

Anybody will tell you; its 10x easier for a rookie, or whatever you want to label a guy like Aguila, to progress in hitting/fielding... etc when he plays everyday, even if it is only AAA, which is where he would most likely end up playing... although it would be good in its own right for the young players to be able to play alongside with a Carlos Delgado and have him help groom the hitting... so, its a good choice, depending on how you want the players groomed.

Anybody will tell you; its 10x easier for a rookie, or whatever you want to label a guy like Aguila, to progress in hitting/fielding... etc when he plays everyday, even if it is only AAA, which is where he would most likely end up playing... although it would be good in its own right for the young players to be able to play alongside with a Carlos Delgado and have him help groom the hitting... so, its a good choice, depending on how you want the players groomed.

679441[/snapback]

Yeah a rookie could lean from other players :happydance

Well, I won't regret that trade until Chick gets to the majors and produces better than Valdez.

Also, it's not likely we would have ended up using Chick in our rotation.? With guys like Olsen and Bazardo ahead of him and with much better stuff, he would have been hard pressed to crack our rotation.? Maybe we could have used him in a trade for a better player than Valdez, though.

679375[/snapback]

i agree

679380[/snapback]

I think a mix of vets and younger guys would be perfect. The best players should make the squad, regardless of age status.

The "best player available" certainly worked well for the Dolphins over the last decade huh.

I know what RFerry is saying and I don't disagree that talent is a major and important consideration, but in reality a bench player has to be a combination skill, patience, roleplayer (able to do the little things that keep a team on it's toes), cheerleader and more.

It isn't about who can necessarily hit the curveball best or who has the best D although those things are vitally important.

I'm of a mind to go with veterans if all other things are equal.

The ongoing debate over our bench...JWilly v. DiFelice, Aguila v. Harris, etc. basically comes down to a difference in philosophies...would you rather have an experienced veteran who accepts their role and is willing to go weeks without any action versus a young up & coming yplayer who is eager to make his mark???

I would rather have Willingham and Aguila continue to play everyday in Triple A vs. inactivity on the Marlin bench. If an injury were to occur...then I would dip into the farm and tab one of the youngsters as a replacement. My feeling is that unless that are starting for the Marlins they are better off playing everyday in the minors.

Thoughts?

:mischief2

679435[/snapback]

I completely agree accerpt with a guy like Aguila is eligible for arbitratration in 2 or 3 years so I say we leave him up here so he will have a chance to start at the begininng of this year if he has a good ST

At some point you have to bring players up without experience and let them play. Every experienced player in the majors today came up green at some point. You can't rationally expect players to reach their major league potential by keeping them in the minors until they are thirty.

That being said, the bench should not totally be devoted to young guys and the number of slots is limited. A mix is necessary, but I believe it only takes a few veterans on the club to show the way for the newer players. Most of the bench spots should be open to younger players with more potential IMO.

Well, on the bench, usually:

Experience >>> Youth

BUT, for a guy like Willingham who IMO can't be helped by another minor league season, he should be exempt from this guideline.

679722[/snapback]

How can you say a guy like Willingham wouldn't be helped by a year in the minors? Let him learn a position and them bring him up when he will have a chance to play. Sure he can hit at the AA Level but his defensive skills are comparable to Das Texans. If he tears it up at AAA or if someone is injured he will get the call. Just my opinion...

Experience >>> Youth

BUT, for a guy like Willingham who IMO can't be helped by another minor league season, he should be exempt from this guideline.

679722[/snapback]

How can you say a guy like Willingham wouldn't be helped by a year in the minors? Let him learn a position and them bring him up when he will have a chance to play. Sure he can hit at the AA Level but his defensive skills are comparable to Das Texans. If he tears it up at AAA or if someone is injured he will get the call. Just my opinion...

679817[/snapback]

He's never going to be above average defensively anywhere in the field anyway. I'd rather him be up in the majors learning from Perry Hill and Andre Dawson...

Experience >>> Youth

679722[/snapback]

679817[/snapback]

He's never going to be above average defensively anywhere in the field anyway. I'd rather him be up in the majors learning from Perry Hill and Andre Dawson...

679855[/snapback]

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...I say he is much better off playing every day at Albuquerque vs. rotting away on Jack's bench ala Abe Nunez.

:confused

Both of the Marlins World Series runs had more veterans on the bench (Conine, Encarncion, Harris, Mordecai, Eisenrich, Berg, etc.) I would just like to see the best players make the team regardless of age.

679711[/snapback]

Berg?!? The perfect bench is the one where players are comfortable with their roles. It seems veterans do have an easier time with understanding their roles. Especially Lenny he has lots of Rolls around his body! :D

I think veterans and youth both bring somethign good to the club. Veterans are more likely to be content with their roles, provide leadership and draw from their past experiences to help. Rookies offer greater roster flexibility and greater rewards for the future (at times near future) and approach their job with the enthusiasm that allows them to never give up against the greatest challenges. You need a right mix of both.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.