Marlins Rumblings

Kotsay-to-the-Yankees rumblings

It would be so much easier if the Yankees could make up their minds. One week, they look as if they might never lose again. The next, they look as if they might never win again.

So are they trying to dump big names? Or are they trying to add that missing piece that can drive them back to the Canyon of Heroes? Even they're not sure.

Clubs that have spoken with the Yankees say their No. 1 fixation right now is on a center field upgrade, preferably Mark Kotsay.

One baseball official with knowledge of the Oakland-New York conversations calls those Kotsay-to-the-Bronx rumors "premature." But an executive of a team that has been speaking with both clubs lays out this scenario:

The A's, obviously, want young players back. But Yankees GM Brian Cashman has said continually that he's adamantly against dealing young guys for veterans (even 29-year-olds such as Kotsay, who would be the second-youngest Yankees regular).

So where would those prospects or young players come from? From a third team that might be looking for something or somebody the Yankees would trade.

One club to watch could be Florida, which is actively foraging for a Tom Gordon-type setup force and might be willing to deal on-base machine Josh Willingham (currently second in the Pacific Coast League in Oakland's favorite department ? on-base percentage).

The hang-up: The Yankees are telling teams Gordon isn't going anywhere ? for now, anyway. But like anything and everything in Yankee-land, that could change

What's-wrong-with-the-Marlins rumblings

Meanwhile, the team that a lot of people viewed as the second-best team in the National League ? the Marlins ? is such a mystery it should be owned by Agatha Christie.

The Marlins are second in the league in ERA, third in batting average, first in average with runners in scoring position and first in starting pitching ERA. So how can they possibly be fourth in the NL East in the standings, 12th in the league in runs scored and nine games under .500 since May 24?

How do we explain all that? Well, for the first time under Jack McKeon, this team has lost the quality it once rode all the way to a World Series upset of the Yankees ? that feeling that it would always find some way to win the close ones.

To lessen the tension that was building around a once-loose club, GM Admin Beinfest had a meeting recently in which he reassured slumping Juan Pierre and Mike Lowell that the brass hadn't lost faith in them, and let both McKeon and hitting coach Bill Robinson know they were in no danger of losing their jobs.

Still, rumblings continue to waft out of South Florida that the Marlins' brass is concerned that McKeon has alienated many players with a barrage of sarcastic, biting criticisms. So, if this team doesn't regain its spark, McKeon could still join the endangered manager list ? and not necessarily after the season.

Scouting rumblings

What are some of our favorite scouts and club officials saying about some of your favorite players? We present another parade of reports from the Rumblings and Grumblings Scouting Bureau:

Guillermo Mota: "I don't get this guy," one scout says. "He nibbles even though he's got great stuff. When your stuff is that good, you don't nibble. I'm starting to think he might be Franklyn German." Another scout seconds that motion, saying: "He's as big an enigma as there is in the game."

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/sto...d=2092468&num=0

i would love it for tom gordon to come to the fish but i really really dont think he is worth willingham.

willingham has to stay he has a bright future. cannot let him get away. if we have to give some prospect give stokes because it seems like he is never going to come up.

i would love it for tom gordon to come to the fish but i really really dont think he is worth willingham.

willingham has to stay he has a bright future. cannot let him get away. if we have to give some prospect give stokes because it seems like he is never going to come up.

822447[/snapback]

Willingham will never be a meaningful player for the Marlins if you believe Boog Sciambi. I wish I had a tape of Boog's comments about him yesterday so you could all hear it for yourselves, According to Boog he's all bat no field at ANY position and the only thing he's good for is being a DH.

822447[/snapback]

Willingham will never be a meaningful player for the Marlins if you believe Boog Sciambi. I wish I had a tape of Boog's comments about him yesterday so you could all hear it for yourselves, According to Boog he's all bat no field at ANY position and the only thing he's good for is being a DH.

822459[/snapback]

If Boog said it, it must be true. :rolleyes:

Ask anyone who watched Willy play in spring training and ask them if he can play outfield or the corner infield. It's not like he's a big unathletic guy who can only hit. I don't think he would much of a downgrade to Conine if we decide to put him in right field and trade Enc or put Enc in center. He's faster than Conine, and has a much better arm.

Guest Fritz

To lessen the tension that was building around a once-loose club, GM Admin Beinfest had a meeting recently in which he reassured slumping Juan Pierre and Mike Lowell that the brass hadn't lost faith in them, and let both McKeon and hitting coach Bill Robinson know they were in no danger of losing their jobs.

*Shoots self in head*

*Shoots self in head*

822541[/snapback]

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

this isn't going to solve our problems. We need to score runs... it seems like the marlins only score with willis on the mound. :confused

CHOP

822547[/snapback]

How, I don't see runs in our future. We haven't broke out of a month long slump..or at least three weeks of it. Pierre needs to get on for us to do anything for the rest of the year, and Mikey has to do something...anything!

*Shoots self in head*

822541[/snapback]

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

822545[/snapback]

that means nothing.... 6 weeks ago the Milwaukee Bucks told head coach Terry Porter his job was safe... he was canned yesterday :mischief

WHile I don't think he would be the equal of Conine, I think Josh would probably be better than Cabrera in the outfield, minus the arm maybe....

I just don't think it's a done deal that Josh Willingham can't play in the outfield. There are plenty of outfielders who aren't particularly known for their defense. You balance it out with their offense. I don't think Josh is Manny Ramirez or Adam Dunn or something where you don't really care about their defensive shortcomings because they destroy the league at the plate, but let's give Willingham a chance and see what he can do. If he has a .400 OBP for example....

WHile I don't think he would be the equal of Conine, I think Josh would probably be better than Cabrera in the outfield, minus the arm maybe....

I just don't think it's a done deal that Josh Willingham can't play in the outfield. There are plenty of outfielders who aren't particularly known for their defense. You balance it out with their offense. I don't think Josh is Manny Ramirez or Adam Dunn or something where you don't really care about their defensive shortcomings because they destroy the league at the plate, but let's give Willingham a chance and see what he can do. If he has a .400 OBP for example....

822613[/snapback]

and from what I and other have seen of him in spring training, Willy can play the OF

You should have heard what he said about clubhouse leadershi ad Pudge i particular. lolololol

822571[/snapback]

That he was disliked with Texas, loved in Detroit and took a passive role with the Marlins?

There are no clubhouse cancers or leaders, just media favorites and imperfect fits.

well a metting in the marlins club house today pretty much said everything Jack Mckeon and Bill Robinson job tonight its on the line

they lose , they are out of the ballpark

another thing is that loria clearly said if they go 6 games below .500 they will definetely become sellers.

well a metting in the marlins club house today pretty much said everything Jack Mckeon and Bill Robinson job tonight its on the line

another thing is that loria clearly said if they go 6 games below .500 they will definetely become sellers.

822766[/snapback]

????????

822766[/snapback]

????????

822778[/snapback]

Yeah I'd like to know where exactly you heard that from?