July 2, 200521 yr Mike Stanton could join Florida MIAMI GARDENS ? Even as the Marlins dispatched John Riedling to Triple-A Albuquerque on Thursday, they continued their attempts to add experience to their struggling bullpen. According to an industry source, there is a "very distinct possibility" veteran left-hander Mike Stanton could soon join the Marlins. Stanton, 38, was designated for assignment Thursday along with fellow Yankees reliever Paul Quantrill. The Yankees have 10 days to trade, release or pass them through waivers. Both pitchers interest the Marlins, who could offer outfielder Juan Encarnacion in return. Encarnacion, who had the winning hit in the 13th inning on Wednesday, interests the Yankees, who could then try to flip him to Oakland in a deal for former Marlins outfielder Mark Kotsay. However, the Yankees were telling people they weren't encouraged about their chances of dealing either Stanton or Quantrill, 36. The Yankees also inquired about Marlins right-hander A.J. Burnett but don't believe they will be players for him until after the season, when he can be a free agent. Stanton is making $4 million in the final year of a three-year contract that includes a full no-trade provision. He has told friends he would prefer a return to the National League, where he pitched for the Mets the past two seasons, posting a 3.16 ERA in 83 appearances last year. The Marlins, Braves, Nationals, Cubs, Cardinals and Astros are believed to head Stanton's list of preferred destinations. Stanton, a New Jersey resident, has made eight trips to the postseason (1995-2002) and has three World Series rings with the Yankees (1998-2000). [More in URL]
July 2, 200521 yr Stanton is worthless. I hope the Marlins wouldn't even consider trading Encarnacion for him. 836629[/snapback] he was released penguin dude.
July 2, 200521 yr I'm pretty comfortable with the bullpen right now...Stanton's finished, don't bother.
July 2, 200521 yr I'd take Stanton. It's not like he'd be used alot if we picked him up (Bump,VDLS,Mecir,Mota, and maybe even Leiter would be used more often than him). He'd be a good guy to have come out of the bullpen every so often.
July 2, 200521 yr Yankees used him against a lot of RHs... which is a mistake. He had a 0.93 WHIP and a .176 BAA against LH hitting, giving up no homeruns.
July 2, 200521 yr they better hurry b/c Paul Quantrill was trade for Darrell May and Tim Redding, plus cash today. Stanton could be next
July 2, 200521 yr Stanton wouldn't be that bad to pick up, what worries me is what the Marls would give up to get him.
July 3, 200521 yr they better hurry b/c Paul Quantrill was trade for Darrell May and Tim Redding, plus cash today. Stanton could be next 837127[/snapback] That seems like a whole lot to give up for a so-so middle reliever.
July 3, 200521 yr Stanton is worthless. I hope the Marlins wouldn't even consider trading Encarnacion for him. 836629[/snapback] he was released penguin dude. 836973[/snapback] No, he was designated for assignment, just like Quantrill, and he got traded today.
July 3, 200521 yr He better not land on this team and especially for Encarnacion. I have always been a big supporter and fan on Encarnacion. Mike Stanton isn't even that good his ERA blows.
July 3, 200521 yr He better not land on this team and especially for Encarnacion. I have always been a big supporter and fan on Encarnacion. Mike Stanton isn't even that good his ERA blows. 837391[/snapback] Finally, someone is on my side!
July 3, 200521 yr How many times does it need to be said? Stanton is done. DONE. Well-done. Carbonized. Finito. Acabado. His next stop should not be an MLB team, but a press conference to announce his retirement :thumbup
July 3, 200521 yr The only reason why the yankess are getting rid of him is because he sucks. They just want to give us there table scrap for our goodies.
July 3, 200521 yr The only reason why the yankess are getting rid of him is because he sucks. They just want to give us there table scrap for our goodies. 837402[/snapback] You are exactly right and I wish that everyone else would see it.
July 3, 200521 yr He better not land on this team and especially for Encarnacion. I have always been a big supporter and fan on Encarnacion. Mike Stanton isn't even that good his ERA blows. 837391[/snapback] Ditto!
July 3, 200521 yr John Franco was just designated to assignment by the Astros, you guys wanna pick him up too? :lol
July 3, 200521 yr Apparetnly everyone here ignored the post concerning stanton's stats against lefties. Stanton is not done, in fact he is exactly what this team needs in the bullpen. We already have a decent lefty in de los santos who may be back to pre-injury form. But having stanton in there to face only the occasional lefty is a big boost for the club. B/c we can waste stanton on one batter and save de los santos for the more clutch situations. Not a bad idea at all. Giving up enc isnt a good idea, but if we cna get him without giving up much, it never hurts to try. He has been disgustingly good against lefties.
July 3, 200521 yr Apparetnly everyone here ignored the post concerning stanton's stats against lefties. Stanton is not done, in fact he is exactly what this team needs in the bullpen. We already have a decent lefty in de los santos who may be back to pre-injury form. But having stanton in there to face only the occasional lefty is a big boost for the club. B/c we can waste stanton on one batter and save de los santos for the more clutch situations. Not a bad idea at all. Giving up enc isnt a good idea, but if we cna get him without giving up much, it never hurts to try. He has been disgustingly good against lefties. 837710[/snapback] I'm very confident that there are far better pitchers out there that can face lefties. By no means should the Marlins settle for him just because he could come cheap. I'll never understand why everyone on this board wants to pursue every player that was let go from a team. 837718[/snapback] Its not people on this board talking about stanton its a sun sentinel article. Apparently the sentinel seems to think that the FO is interested, thats why its being discussed. And in this case I agree with the fO
July 3, 200521 yr Like Paul Quantrill, the Yankees have 10 days to trade him. Encarnacion has been hot so hopefully Beinfest won't be that stupid. A trade of Encarnacion for Tom Gordon even is a bad move still. I have to disagree the Marlins will have to be crazy to decline a Encarnacion for Gordon trade and I can't see the Yanks trading Encarnacion for Gordon. Gordon is flat out nasty and would be a closer on most teams. If we acquire him I like our chances of winning games after we are up in the 6th inning. 7 inning The Dodgers Mota we have been seeing lately 8 inning Tom Flash Gordon 9 inning Todd Jones
July 3, 200521 yr Tom Gordon pitched up a storm in Detroit tonight, 2 innings pitched of perfect relief. He's a horse, but I don't know if I'm sold on him - I think our bullpen's doing pretty good atm, and once we get Alfonseca back he would be redundant. Plus, there's already one "Flash" in South Florida
July 3, 200521 yr Tom Gordon pitched up a storm in Detroit tonight, 2 innings pitched of perfect relief. He's a horse, but I don't know if I'm sold on him - I think our bullpen's doing pretty good atm, and once we get Alfonseca back he would be redundant. Plus, there's already one "Flash" in South Florida If we get Gordon by trading Encarnacion (wet dream) Alfonseca can be a luxury if he comes back healthy and pitching well. I personally have never liked Alfonseca and I have always thought he was overrated. Him and and Looper always made me stand up, get nervous, or get piss at them while watching them pitch. I also don't know how effective he will be when he gets back. Our Bullpen so far. Resop- I like him alot but don't know if he is ready Bump- nothing special but eats inning's we need him. Keeper De los Santos- has been effective so far not sure if he can keep it up. Keeper Mecir- he can only pitch one inning and his # have been opn the decline as of late Mota- Can't handle closing but is one hell of a set-up man. pitching effective lately. keeper Jones- keeper has experience don't see him losing his effectiveness. Keeper IMO our bullpen is not good enough right now and still won't be with Alfonseca coming back.
July 3, 200521 yr Tom Gordon pitched up a storm in Detroit tonight, 2 innings pitched of perfect relief. He's a horse, but I don't know if I'm sold on him - I think our bullpen's doing pretty good atm, and once we get Alfonseca back he would be redundant. Plus, there's already one "Flash" in South Florida If we get Gordon by trading Encarnacion (wet dream) Alfonseca can be a luxury if he comes back healthy and pitching well. I personally have never liked Alfonseca and I have always thought he was overrated. Him and and Looper always made me stand up, get nervous, or get piss at them while watching them pitch. I also don't know how effective he will be when he gets back. Our Bullpen so far. Resop- I like him alot but don't know if he is ready Bump- nothing special but eats inning's we need him. Keeper De los Santos- has been effective so far not sure if he can keep it up. Keeper Mecir- he can only pitch one inning and his # have been opn the decline as of late Mota- Can't handle closing but is one hell of a set-up man. pitching effective lately. keeper Jones- keeper has experience don't see him losing his effectiveness. Keeper IMO our bullpen is not good enough right now and still won't be with Alfonseca coming back. 837756[/snapback] De acuerdo, pero I'm still not sold on the idea that Tom Gordon is worth a Juan Encarnacion :confused
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.