Marlins/O's Trade?

Stag5

right now im hearing Burnett for Arroyo, Shoppach and Alvaraz. The Red Sox dont have much interest in Lowell.

859546[/snapback]

I don't know, Arroyo would be a nice pickup but the other two are nothing special at all and we don't need another catcher in Shoppach. I'd still take the White Sox or Jays deals.

I aquired Peter Gammons SN from a member at the Red Sox ESPN.com message board. I made a new SN, PeteGammonsisdabest, and he actually answered me when I had this SN (Since he wouldnt when I used my regular one).

Anyway heres what I asked:

Q- Any truth to the rumors that the Red Sox have aquired AJ Burnett?

A- ITS CLOSE, DEAL SOON

I aquired Peter Gammons SN from a member at the Red Sox ESPN.com message board. I made a new SN, PeteGammonsisdabest, and he actually answered me when I had this SN (Since he wouldnt when I used my regular one).

Q- Any truth to the rumors that the Red Sox have aquired AJ Burnett?

A- ITS CLOSE, DEAL SOON

859560[/snapback]

I aquired Theo Epstein's SN from a member at the Red Sox ESPN.com message board. I made a new SN, TheoEpsteinisdabest, and he actually answered me when I had this SN (Since he wouldnt when I used my regular one).

Q- Any truth to what Marlins1111111111?

A- No, he's a moron.

from the Baltimore Sun

The race to acquire Florida Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett could be down to two teams, the Orioles and Boston Red Sox, according to an industry source.

The Red Sox are offering pitcher Bronson Arroyo and prospects for Burnett, according to the source. The Orioles are willing to part with reliever Jorge Julio, outfielder Admin Bigbie and minor league pitcher Hayden Penn, and have discussed an expanded package that includes reliever Steve Kline and Marlins third baseman Mike Lowell.

The Orioles could have the edge by their willingness to take Lowell, who's owed $18 million over the next two seasons. The Red Sox have no apparent interest in him, but they've become more aggressive in their pursuit of Burnett.

from the Baltimore Sun

The race to acquire Florida Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett could be down to two teams, the Orioles and Boston Red Sox, according to an industry source.

The Red Sox are offering pitcher Bronson Arroyo and prospects for Burnett, according to the source. The Orioles are willing to part with reliever Jorge Julio, outfielder Admin Bigbie and minor league pitcher Hayden Penn, and have discussed an expanded package that includes reliever Steve Kline and Marlins third baseman Mike Lowell.

The Orioles could have the edge by their willingness to take Lowell, who's owed $18 million over the next two seasons. The Red Sox have no apparent interest in him, but they've become more aggressive in their pursuit of Burnett.

859563[/snapback]

I like the Red sox deal,we take that and then trade lowell to the twins and we're done

The more quiet Brian Cashman is, the greater likelihood that the Yankees will swoop in and make an offer that can't be refused. I have no idea what it is, but considering the problems they have with their rotation, and the fact AJ's bud, Pavano is there, I would be absolutely amazed if there were not ongoing negotiations right now.

AJ to the Yankees not only strengthens the Yankees, but by depriving the O's and Red Sox of a player of his ability, it weakens their chances as well.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager AJ winds up in the Bronx.

How would the Yankees have any upper hand on a Baltimore or Boston deal?

859581[/snapback]

They dont. They have nothing to trade, Wang and Pavano are hurt so count them out. The Yankees wont trade Cano or their prospect Duncan, not that the Marlins would want them anyway. The Marlins arent going to take on one of the huge contracts the Yankees have so what possibilities are there? Tom Gordon, Tim Redding, Melky Cabrera and cash for Burnett and Encarnacion? The Yankees cant get anybody unless they are just taking a huge contract off someones hands.

How would the Yankees have any upper hand on a Baltimore or Boston deal?

859581[/snapback]

Sheff :mischief

859588[/snapback]

No one is prying that guy from the Boss's hands. If the NY Mets hadnt spread Sheffield's name in trade rumors, he would never even be mentioned.

The man is tearing the cover off the ball right now and is a centerpiece of the Yank lineup...

And I know you were probably just saying this in jest, but I had to put this out there...

Hi guys. I think I should be able to provide a good opinion. I lived in Baltimore until I was 25 and I moved here to Florida and have lived here the past 6 years. I have the MLB package and I watch every Orioles and Marlins game, sometimes I have to go from one to the other flipping the channels. I am a big fan of each team. I think it is a good deal for both sides. The Orioles get a top of the rotation which they really need and another hitter which they also need, but he will be a downgrade to Bigbie if he keeps playing the way he is. The Marlins are getting a pretty good pitching prospect in Hayden Penn, I watched everyone of his starts, the kid is only 20 and has a high ceiling. Bigbie is an upgrade over Lowell for the Marlins right now, but I dont see Lowell playing like this all year so Bigbie is a downgrade in the long run but he is better you all make him out to be. Kline is having a poor season and I think a switch back to the NL would really help. Julio can be unhittable at times and at times he cant get the ball over the plate or he gets shelled. You all seem to like the White Sox deal, only advantage I see with the White Sox deal over the Orioles offer is the Marlins get a more ML ready starting pitcher.

Marlins and Orioles in the World Series!!!

....please. :)

859547[/snapback]

*yawn*

This site already has an O's/Fish fan. :plain

I'm simply pointing out that the Yankees, being an inferior team to the Red Sox, as of this writing, have the opportunity, and economic where with all, to reverse their fortunes in the AL East.

What Brian Cashman may do is involve a third team, or employ some other strategy. When it comes down to comparing offers and making a decision, Admin Beinfest will no doubt have a significant offer from the Yankees among those to consider.

If the best the Red Sox can offer is Bronson Arroyo and the likes of an Alan Embree, it in itself is laughable. With five years of service time, he (Arroyo) may not be the piece the Marlins can count on in the future. The Yankees have more to lose, and more to gain by the move.

I'm just posting my thoughts, anyone is welcome to disagree, but to think Cashman hasn't already joined the fray, or will be in quick order, is being shortsighted.

I'm simply pointing out that the Yankees, being an inferior team to the Red Sox, as of this writing, have the opportunity, and economic where with all, to reverse their fortunes in the AL East.

What Brian Cashman may do is involve a third team, or employ some other strategy. When it comes down to comparing offers and making a decision, Admin Beinfest will no doubt have a significant offer from the Yankees among those to consider.

If the best the Red Sox can offer is Bronson Arroyo and the likes of an Alan Embree, it in itself is laughable. With five years of service time, he (Arroyo) may not be the piece the Marlins can count on in the future. The Yankees have more to lose, and more to gain by the move.

I'm just posting my thoughts, anyone is welcome to disagree, but to think Cashman hasn't already joined the fray, or will be in quick order, is being shortsighted.

859598[/snapback]

To say that Cashman is going to actively try to stop Burnett from landing in the AL East (if it's not New York) is probably founded, but common sense says that if he's struggling to get Shawn Chacon from Colorado, he probably doesn't have the pieces to do anything regarding AJ.

You'll notice I haven't named names or speculated who would be going where vis a vis the Yankees, I'm just suggesting in the end Cashman will be there with an offer that will be significant and considerable.

859604[/snapback]

I'm in total agreement with you that he'll be there at the end, but I doubt he's the one coming away with the prize.

The only way I think the Marlins are interested in a Yankee offer (and the only way the Yankees can become involved) is something like this:

Yankees go out and get a good player with a terrible contract for next to nothing (because they assume the contract), for the sake of simplification, let's say Ken Griffey Junior, who they inturn spin back to the Marlins along with one of their own guys who helps for this year and next (Pavano?). The Yankees take AJ and Lowell off of the Marlins hands, sending Griffey and Pavano, and for good measure, Fort Knox.

That's it, that's the only way the Yankees get involved. Now, please people, read the whole post before you start saying "why would we want Griffey?"

A source told the Baltimore Sun that only the Orioles and Red Sox still in the race for A.J. Burnett.

The Orioles package still includes Hayden Penn, Jorge Julio and Admin Bigbie. They also might be willing to take Mike Lowell, assuming they can dump Steve Kline's contract in the process. The Red Sox would give up Bronson Arroyo and prospects. Jul. 17 - 11:59 am et

- - RotoWorld

Not to say AJ might not be willing to sign elsewhere, but I don't think you can draw anything from his statements in the offseason about wanting to become free agent. I think he meant he did not want to be a Florida Marlin as he has bad experiences with management (and I would guess some forgotten good ones). If he wants to play in Baltimore where his wife is from and her family lives and thinks they'll treat him well (not just at the negotiating table mind you), he is certainly in the position of restricting the Marlins' trade possibilities to this one team.