Stag5 Posted July 16, 2005 Share Posted July 16, 2005 Miami Herald Marlins, Orioles talking trade involving Burnett By CLARK SPENCER Miami Herald PHILADELPHIA - Talks between the Marlins and Orioles are intensifying about a proposed trade that would send pitcher A.J. Burnett and third baseman Mike Lowell to Baltimore. ``They're getting closer,'' said a major-league source with knowledge of the discussions. While more than a six teams have shown interest in Burnett, the Orioles might present the Marlins with the best opportunity to unload Lowell, who has been mired in a prolonged slump and is owed $18 million in the next two seasons. Under the latest proposal involving Baltimore, the Marlins likely would receive reliever Jorge Julio, right-handed pitching prospect Hayden Penn, outfielder Admin Bigbie and lefty reliever Steve Kline. The Marlins could also throw in minor-league outfielder Eric Reed in the deal. There's an outside chance the Orioles would give up veteran right-hander Sidney Ponson instead of Penn, a 20-year-old who went 2-2 with a 6.75 starts in seven starts for Baltimore earlier in the season but is now playing at Double A Bowie. Ponson, however, is earning $8.5 million this season and is due to make $11 million next year. He also carries some personal baggage. Police detained Ponson for 11 days in his native Aruba during the winter on assault charges that were later dismissed. Ponson also has a DUI case pending in Florida, which will be heard after the season. If the Marlins trade Lowell, they would move Miguel Cabrera to third base, the position where he feels most comfortable. They also would lose Lowell's contract, which could free up money to spend on an outfielder, as both Juan Encarnacion and Jeff Conine are free agents after the season. The Orioles, if they obtained him, have discussed moving Lowell to first base to shore up that position defensively. INJURY CONCERN Cubs rookie outfielder Adam Greenberg, who was hit on the helmet by a Valerio De Los Santos pitch last Saturday at Dolphins Stadium, was placed on the 15-day disabled list because of a concussion. And nobody feels worse about it than De Los Santos. De Los Santos twice phoned over to the Cubs' clubhouse to check on Greenberg and waited outside to meet the player and his mother. It was not only Greenberg's first major-league at-bat, but also the first pitch. ``I want to know how he's doing every day, because it's terrible,'' De Los Santos said. TIGHT-LIPPED First baseman Carlos Delgado had his left hand wrapped in ice several hours before Friday's game but refused to provide details. Asked what was wrong with his hand, Delgado replied: ``Nothing.'' Delgado started Friday and delivered a RBI double in the third inning. BECKETT UPDATE Josh Beckett said he's optimistic he'll be able to come off the disabled list and make his next start July 23 in San Francisco. Beckett played long toss Friday and said the strained abdominal muscle that forced him onto the DL feels better at this stage than a similar injury he sustained last season. Beckett was out for 17 days between starts last season because of a left intercostal strain. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.