The keep AJ thread

I've been one of the ones calling to trade him, but I say keep him and see what we can do down the stretch. The Nationals are falling to Earth and I still think we can win the wild card. The O's offer is a damn rape job. Our farm system is stacked with good, young pitching prospects. I'd take AJ for a shot at the playoffs over Penn. Unless we're getting a damn good every day prospect (Hanley Ramirez, etc.), I wouldn't trade him. Penn won't help us unless we have a second deal to trade him for a big bat. is Penn better than Olsen or Vargas? Probably not. Hell, is he even better than Johnson?

I was only in favor of trading AJ for a damn good package or a merely solid package IF we were able to clear Lowell's entire contract. We're not going to be able to clear Lowell's entire contract and he's starting to hit. I say keep AJ and Lowell and see what this team does. If the AL East contenders get desperate and offer a great package for AJ, then I'd consider the deal. If not, I'd take a chance to make the playoffs and take the draft picks for AJ if we suck down the stretch. Just draft a lot of offensive prospects next year to balance out our farm system full of pitching prospects.

I'm in agreement. We've got the guy everyone is after in this situation. Penn is a good prospect but as people have said, it's not like we're exactly lacking in terms of starting pitcher prospects. If teams really want AJ, start the discussion on our terms and work from there. If nobody bites, then we've got AJ for the rest of the season. It's not like that's such a bad thing.

If the deal is not good, keep him and collect the compensatory draft picks.

867091[/snapback]

Agree.

And don't pay half of Lowell's salary to another team.

Suck it up and go for it!

Miracles can happen.

Worst scenario: We'll have a potential Premier pitcher who has heart and pride,

and the best most expensive 3B defensive player whose team leadership will be of value.

I think this is why the deal has been taking so long. I think the Marlins FO realize that we need AJ. Now the deal has been placed on hold. I think they are definitely having second thoughts. Our offense has been very much alive so far in this half, but our pitching is starting to shake a bit. We need all the pitching we can get for now... AJ is solid. Keep him in teal.

Imagine the clubhouse morale boost if FO should announce AJ and Mikey are here for the long haul.

867135[/snapback]

Well to come to that you have to accept that 1. Lowell and Burnett are well liked in the clubhouse; 2. there won't be any hard feeling s between the players and management; and 3. it wakes them up the players and coaches

Keep AJ, we can still go to the playoffs and with our rotation and hopefully, are hitting comes around like its been latley then we can make some noise in the playoffs and in the race to get in. we should just do some minor moves to pick up some bull pen help, even though i know AA and valdez are coming back, but 1 more good arm in the pen would help us.

Keep AJ PLease!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup

Keep him. As I've now stated so many times 2006 is far away as long as we are alive in 2005 -- so don't think about him leaving and us only getting picks it doesn't matter. Go all out now because you have to when you have a chance.

867138[/snapback]

We'd be well-advised to hold tight until July 31 at this point (barring something freakish like A.J. getting hurt). Why?

1) The package from Bal. is not, shall we way, overwhelming, and we wouldn't be improving our team in the short team (i.e. 2005)

2) We get to buy another 10 days to see if we can go on a nice streak and get back into the race

3) We put pressure on the BOSs, NYYs, and BALs to get desperate and outbid each other (esp. as they're competing with each other in the same division).

4) Lowell is starting to hit a bit again, which may improve his trade value.

You can spin this AJ trade like a dreidel, but the bottom line is if we trade him our chances of making the playoffs this year go way down, and if we make the playoffs, our chances of going deep into them are nil. With him, if we make the playoffs we are the team everyone fears.

You can spin this AJ trade like a dreidel.

That's a good one!

With him, if we make the playoffs we are the team everyone fears.

I wouldn't go that far. I'd fear the Red Sox, White Sox, Yankees, Angels, and Cardinals more than the Marlins as currently constituted -- even in a short series.

I keep repeating myself, but I still don't know why AJ would agree with another team on a contract extension at this point anyway, unless he's completely blown away by an offer.

It's in his best interest to finish out the season with Florida & start the AJ Burnett U.S. tour during the offseason & get the red carpet treatment that Pavs got. He'll probably get more than Carl anyway. Plus there will be more teams involved in the bidding af and he'd have his pick on where he wants to play.

I think his agent would be foolish to encourage him to agree on a contract extension with another team right now unless they're blown away.

i still lean towards moving him unless we play much better in the next ten days otherwise i would rather get major league or near major league talent instead of draft picks. It is a shame AJ doesnt really want to stay in florida i think if he did , he and management could arrive at an agreement both could be happy with ...that said i cant say i begrudge Burnett wanting to test the market he will get overpaid relative towards his actual achievements by some big market team and with his arm problems i am sure he realizes this is his one and only chance to get a BIG contract

You can spin this AJ trade like a dreidel.

That's a good one!

With him, if we make the playoffs we are the team everyone fears.

I wouldn't go that far. I'd fear the Red Sox, White Sox, Yankees, Angels, and Cardinals more than the Marlins as currently constituted -- even in a short series.

867174[/snapback]

I disagree. In the playoffs, we could keep throwing out Beckett, Willis and AJ. We'd have the pitching edge in every game against any team, with the possible exception of games against Garland and Randy Johnson and Schilling(if he starts again). And the only one on that list I'd be real worried about is Schilling. And these would all be in the WS. We have a big edge in the NL.

It's in his best interest to finish out the season with Florida & start the AJ Burnett U.S. tour during the offseason & get the red carpet treatment that Pavs got. He'll probably get more than Carl anyway. Plus there will be more teams involved in the bidding af and he'd have his pick on where he wants to play.

I think his agent would be foolish to encourage him to agree on a contract extension with another team right now unless they're blown away.

867180[/snapback]

Bingo. We won't get AJ's full value if we trade him. I'll take our chances at a playoff run and take the draft picks. Unless we make a great trade in the offseason, we're built to win at championship this year, not next year.

Why does everyone think he's going to be unsignable?

He's yet to show anything other than potential...at leat Pavano had a break out season in a contract year...

Plus, Pavano couldn't hack it in the AL East, I doubt the Yankees fall all over themselves to go after AJ.

Why does everyone think he's going to be unsignable?

867589[/snapback]

This is what I have been wondering since this whole thing started. If the reason is the FO just doesn't have the money to pay one more guy, then fine. But what exactly has AJ done up to this point to bring the money that everyone expects he will command? Up till now, the most wins he has had in a season is 12, and he has had the one surgery all GM's dread when it comes to pitchers. I'm not saying the guy won't get a good salary, but to say he'll be a 10 million/year guy is i.m.o outrageous. He has tons of POTENTIAL, and I don't think potential gives you those dollar signs. I'll wager he signs for no more than 6 million/year with whoever it is that signs him.

Hey if he agrees to a long term deal I'm for it, thats option #1 for me. However I have a better chance of winning the lotto then that happening so he needs to go because we can get a hell of a package if Beinfeist is as cunning as we all pray he is.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "a lot more" is on whether or not I'd take that bet. I'm still betting he gets around 6, but absolutely no more than 8. And I still think that's high for his track record. The guy has 43 career wins counting this year. I don't care how much potential he has, he is a big, big risk if you throw that much money at him. He's still a thrower, and not a pitcher. I don't think you give throwers that much money.

But hey, if I end up being wrong, that's fine. If it takes anymore than 8 million/year to sign him, I don't want him to stay in Florida. I just don't think you throw that much money at someone who MIGHT be great.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "a lot more" is on whether or not I'd take that bet. I'm still betting he gets around 6, but absolutely no more than 8. And I still think that's high for his track record. The guy has 43 career wins counting this year. I don't care how much potential he has, he is a big, big risk if you throw that much money at him. He's still a thrower, and not a pitcher. I don't think you give throwers that much money.

But hey, if I end up being wrong, that's fine. If it takes anymore than 8 million/year to sign him, I don't want him to stay in Florida. I just don't think you throw that much money at someone who MIGHT be great.

867625[/snapback]

Well, getting "no more than $6 million/year" is different from "no more than $8 milion/year." I still think he'll get quite a bit more than $8 million/year, but I wouldn't be shocked if the market colluded and held him to that amount.

By saying that I mean 6 is what I think he's worth, but if some whacky MLB GM payed him 8, I wouldn't be shocked. I guess I shouldn't be shocked by any figure, I'm just throwing out what I think his value is. Considering what he has done up till now, he has definitely NOT earned that big of a contract. I think all he is worth right now is a 3 year deal at around 6 mil a year, because as I've said, he has not proven enough to warrant the kind of money you're talking. IF he goes out and has a stellar 3 years, then fine, he has earned the 10 mil/year kind of contract that you're talking.