Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Three Way Deal?

Featured Replies

What an oddity. I agree with virtually everything Passion said with the possible exception of his comments regarding Mike Lowell, who might fair well in Fenway. A new hitting coach and a new approach may hasten the comeback he's on, and once he figures out the Green Monster he'll be tatooing it with regularity.

 

I accept 100% the notion that HR is 100% untouchable, as is Hermida for the Fish, so why even factor him into the equation? It's a waste of time.

This pitching hoarding really has to stop. I think Beinfest might need some professional counseling to overcome his addiction.

This pitching hoarding really has to stop. I think Beinfest might need some professional counseling to overcome his addiction.

868901[/snapback]

 

 

Lololololol

 

I'm laughing with you not at you.

i really do not think we should trade lowell unless we get a really good deal, i say trade a.j. and maybe enc. because he is a free agent and jeremy hermida is slated to start in RF next year.

I like the deal.. could move Vargas and Olsen back down to the minors and wouldn't allow for Valdez to return to the rotation, thank god. Could even keep one of the kids up for LH bullpen help if need be. Hopefully this would allow Hermida to be called up.

Mays has a $.5 million buyout for 06, so we wouldn't have to pay him the $8.5 million he's do next year.

 

If we do make this deal, I think we'll be going after a bat.? Maybe Griffey?? Mays/Vargas/Johnson/Stokes for Griffey and the Reds paying half of his remaining deal?? :mischief2

 

1.? Pierre

2.? Castillo

3.? Delgado

4.? Cabrera (3B)

5.? Griffey (RF)

6.? Enc (LF)

7.? Lo Duca

8.? Gonzo

 

1.? Willis

2.? Beckett

3.? Arroyo

4.? Moehler

5.? Olsen/Valdez

 

*ducks*

868791[/snapback]

 

Where does this Griffey stuff come from? Did someone in the FO say we were looking at him or something? I'm confused.

868836[/snapback]

 

It was just speculation on my part. The Reds want to move him and we have the prospects to make them happy. If we were rid of Lowell's contract, we could afford it.

I like the deal.. could move Vargas and Olsen back down to the minors and wouldn't allow for Valdez to return to the rotation, thank god. Could even keep one of the kids up for LH bullpen help if need be. Hopefully this would allow Hermida to be called up.

869001[/snapback]

 

Why do we need to send Vargas and Olsen back to the minors? They've pitched well so far.

I'd just feel more comfortable with Arroyo and Mays in the rotation during a playoff chase, just my opinion.

The newspaper I read said that deal was dead yesterday evening. The Marlins dont like Mays and the Red Sox arent sure about Lowell.

Does anyone else think this was a media rumor? Think about it. There was one deal that kind of made sense for both clubs but couldn't get done (Marlins-BoSox), then another between the Red Sox and Twins. Hey want do you know? Now there's a three way deal! Seems a little too fluid to me.

just thinking, yesterday on the best damn sports show period pete rose talked about the trades, he said if a team would get griffey, they would walk to the world series. of course it would have to be a pretty good team already like bo sox yanks and etc. but also us. if the reds can pay atleast half salary of griffey we will go to the playoffs and alot more butts on the seats of dolphin stadium, if we just go to the world series, not even win it, w would have to get a new stadium from florida. i would really want griffey, i do not think he will get injuried again, its almost impossible, imagine griffey in the line-up,

 

pierre

louie

delgado-lefty

cabs -rightey

griffey jr.-lefty

lo duca

mikey

gonzo

just thinking, yesterday on the best damn sports show period pete rose talked about the trades, he said if a team would get griffey, they would walk to the world series. of course it would have to be a pretty good team already like bo sox yanks and etc. but also us. if the reds can pay atleast half salary of griffey we will go to the playoffs and alot more butts on the seats of dolphin stadium, if we just go to the world series, not even win it, w would have to get a new stadium from florida. i would really want griffey, i do not think he will get injuried again, its almost impossible, imagine griffey in the line-up,

 

pierre

louie

delgado-lefty

cabs -rightey

griffey jr.-lefty

lo duca

mikey

gonzo

869075[/snapback]

 

I'm all for trading pitching prospects for Griffey if we can get the Reds to pick up a major part of his contract. The problem is we'd have to get rid of Lowell's contract to be able to afford Griffey.

just thinking, yesterday on the best damn sports show period pete rose talked about the trades, he said if a team would get griffey, they would walk to the world series. of course it would have to be a pretty good team already like bo sox yanks and etc. but also us. if the reds can pay atleast half salary of griffey we will go to the playoffs and alot more butts on the seats of dolphin stadium, if we just go to the world series, not even win it, w would have to get a new stadium from florida. i would really want griffey, i do not think he will get injuried again, its almost impossible, imagine griffey in the line-up,

 

pierre

louie

delgado-lefty

cabs -rightey

griffey jr.-lefty

lo duca

mikey

gonzo

869075[/snapback]

 

I'm all for trading pitching prospects for Griffey if we can get the Reds to pick up a major part of his contract. The problem is we'd have to get rid of Lowell's contract to be able to afford Griffey.

869086[/snapback]

 

 

why add that old man and get rid of our future???? it makes no sense!! its a huge risk. besides doesnt griff have an extremely short list of teams he would go to and florida is not on it?

Can someone, and I promse this isn't a trap, pleae show me any kind of authorative source (not a messageboard post) that says, or even implies Junior wants to be traded?

 

Everything I've read and heard is that he's comfortable in Cincy and wants to stay for the remainder of his career, but if I'm wrong, I'd like to know. Maybe I just missed somethng.

Thats a HUGE gamble on the Marilins part. With Griffey you don't know really what you will get. His contract makes Lowell's look like pennies so we would have to move ALL of Lowell's contract and then get the Reds to consume a little more then half just to break even with what we have now. If its the Griffey from the Mariner's, no problem what so ever. If it's the guy who would probrably get injuried on the plane ride down here NO, we don't have the financial power to do that.

Can someone, and I promse this isn't a trap, pleae show me any kind of authorative source (not a messageboard post) that says, or even implies Junior wants to be traded?

 

Everything I've read and heard is that he's comfortable in Cincy and wants to stay for the remainder of his career, but if I'm wrong, I'd like to know. Maybe I just missed somethng.

869089[/snapback]

 

 

He said he'd goto only a few teams and as far as I'm aware the Marlins aren't one of them.

 

As said we don't have the money to make a gamble like that anyways. It would be like making a $20,000 bet with $18,000 worth of cash, if you don't win your gonna get your legs broken in half.

Can someone, and I promse this isn't a trap, pleae show me any kind of authorative source (not a messageboard post) that says, or even implies Junior wants to be traded?

 

Everything I've read and heard is that he's comfortable in Cincy and wants to stay for the remainder of his career, but if I'm wrong, I'd like to know. Maybe I just missed somethng.

869089[/snapback]

 

 

from ESPN Insider (by way of Dayton Newspaper, i guess):

 

Junior partner?

Jul 21 - Ken Griffey Jr.'s name is hot on the trade rumor mill, but according to the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds still haven't asked Griffey where he's willing to go. As a player with five years with one team and 10 years overall in the big leagues, Griffey can reject any deal. "I haven't heard anything," Griffey told the newspaper. "I don't remember the last time I saw [Reds GM] Dan O'Brien."

Griffey would accept a trade to the right team, the Dayton Daily News reports. "It would have to be a top contender because I want to win," he told the newspaper. "I want a World Series ring. I'm tired of looking at my dad's three World Series rings."

 

To make any deal possible, the Reds would have to eat a lot of Junior's salary. He makes a base of $12.5 million through 2008 with $6.5 million more a year in deferred money, with no interest until the contract expires after the 2008 season. Then he makes $6.5 million a year through 2025 at 4 percent compound interest.

 

 

i don't think we should get Junior. But this answers your request, at least.

Wow, I'd like to meet the agent who put that deal together.

 

So, roughly, he's owed $150 (not including interest) million through 2025. That's terrifying.

 

BTW, thanks for sharing, I missed those pieces. :thumbup

Can someone, and I promse this isn't a trap, pleae show me any kind of authorative source (not a messageboard post) that says, or even implies Junior wants to be traded?

 

Everything I've read and heard is that he's comfortable in Cincy and wants to stay for the remainder of his career, but if I'm wrong, I'd like to know. Maybe I just missed somethng.

869089[/snapback]

 

 

from ESPN Insider (by way of Dayton Newspaper, i guess):

 

Junior partner?

Jul 21 - Ken Griffey Jr.'s name is hot on the trade rumor mill, but according to the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds still haven't asked Griffey where he's willing to go. As a player with five years with one team and 10 years overall in the big leagues, Griffey can reject any deal. "I haven't heard anything," Griffey told the newspaper. "I don't remember the last time I saw [Reds GM] Dan O'Brien."

Griffey would accept a trade to the right team, the Dayton Daily News reports. "It would have to be a top contender because I want to win," he told the newspaper. "I want a World Series ring. I'm tired of looking at my dad's three World Series rings."

 

To make any deal possible, the Reds would have to eat a lot of Junior's salary. He makes a base of $12.5 million through 2008 with $6.5 million more a year in deferred money, with no interest until the contract expires after the 2008 season. Then he makes $6.5 million a year through 2025 at 4 percent compound interest.

 

 

i don't think we should get Junior. But this answers your request, at least.

869104[/snapback]

 

holy crap thats ridiculous! I dont know is this a common figure and timeframe for deffered money thats better than winning the lottery!

just thinking, yesterday on the best damn sports show period pete rose talked about the trades, he said if a team would get griffey, they would walk to the world series. of course it would have to be a pretty good team already like bo sox yanks and etc. but also us. if the reds can pay atleast half salary of griffey we will go to the playoffs and alot more butts on the seats of dolphin stadium, if we just go to the world series, not even win it, w would have to get a new stadium from florida. i would really want griffey, i do not think he will get injuried again, its almost impossible, imagine griffey in the line-up,

 

pierre

louie

delgado-lefty

cabs -rightey

griffey jr.-lefty

lo duca

mikey

gonzo

869075[/snapback]

 

Sure he didnt say that try to bet agaist them for making a few bucks? :)

just thinking, yesterday on the best damn sports show period pete rose talked about the trades, he said if a team would get griffey, they would walk to the world series. of course it would have to be a pretty good team already like bo sox yanks and etc. but also us. if the reds can pay atleast half salary of griffey we will go to the playoffs and alot more butts on the seats of dolphin stadium, if we just go to the world series, not even win it, w would have to get a new stadium from florida. i would really want griffey, i do not think he will get injuried again, its almost impossible, imagine griffey in the line-up,

 

pierre

louie

delgado-lefty

cabs -rightey

griffey jr.-lefty

lo duca

mikey

gonzo

869075[/snapback]

 

I'm all for trading pitching prospects for Griffey if we can get the Reds to pick up a major part of his contract. The problem is we'd have to get rid of Lowell's contract to be able to afford Griffey.

869086[/snapback]

 

 

why add that old man and get rid of our future???? it makes no sense!! its a huge risk. besides doesnt griff have an extremely short list of teams he would go to and florida is not on it?

869088[/snapback]

 

We have a ton of pitching in the minors. If we traded Johnson/Vargas, we'd still have Tank, Allison, the 3 rookies and Olsen. Next year (if these trades happened) we'd have Beckett/Willis/Arroyo/Olsen and likely resign one of Moehler/Valdez. Tank may be ready by the end of next year. It isn't like we'd have major holes in our rotation for the long term. Our future would be fine as long as Griffey stayed healthy.

just thinking, yesterday on the best damn sports show period pete rose talked about the trades, he said if a team would get griffey, they would walk to the world series. of course it would have to be a pretty good team already like bo sox yanks and etc. but also us. if the reds can pay atleast half salary of griffey we will go to the playoffs and alot more butts on the seats of dolphin stadium, if we just go to the world series, not even win it, w would have to get a new stadium from florida. i would really want griffey, i do not think he will get injuried again, its almost impossible, imagine griffey in the line-up,

 

 

:rofl

Can someone, and I promse this isn't a trap, pleae show me any kind of authorative source (not a messageboard post) that says, or even implies Junior wants to be traded?

 

Everything I've read and heard is that he's comfortable in Cincy and wants to stay for the remainder of his career, but if I'm wrong, I'd like to know. Maybe I just missed somethng.

869089[/snapback]

 

 

from ESPN Insider (by way of Dayton Newspaper, i guess):

 

Junior partner?

Jul 21 - Ken Griffey Jr.'s name is hot on the trade rumor mill, but according to the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds still haven't asked Griffey where he's willing to go. As a player with five years with one team and 10 years overall in the big leagues, Griffey can reject any deal. "I haven't heard anything," Griffey told the newspaper. "I don't remember the last time I saw [Reds GM] Dan O'Brien."

Griffey would accept a trade to the right team, the Dayton Daily News reports. "It would have to be a top contender because I want to win," he told the newspaper. "I want a World Series ring. I'm tired of looking at my dad's three World Series rings."

 

To make any deal possible, the Reds would have to eat a lot of Junior's salary. He makes a base of $12.5 million through 2008 with $6.5 million more a year in deferred money, with no interest until the contract expires after the 2008 season. Then he makes $6.5 million a year through 2025 at 4 percent compound interest.

 

 

i don't think we should get Junior. But this answers your request, at least.

869104[/snapback]

 

holy crap thats ridiculous! I dont know is this a common figure and timeframe for deffered money thats better than winning the lottery!

869118[/snapback]

 

i think ESPN misunderstood or mis-wrote it. i checked online, and this was the breakdown i found for his deal:

 

Ken Griffey Jr.: 9-Year worth 116.5M- he will make between 2000 and 2008 a salary of 12.5M each year- + in 2000, 5.5M of salary deferred till 2009- + deal includes 2009 Team Option or a 4M buyout- + 6.5M of 2001-2009 salaries deferred to subsequent years between 2009 and 2024 Agent: Brian Goldberg

 

 

 

I think the deal is, not that he has $6.5 million PER YEAR between 2009 and 2024, but rather that he has $6.5 TOTAL deferred to be paid between those years, with interest.

Griffey's contract isn't as big as some people think. The only issue with Griffey is his health. His production is definitely worth his price.

 

06 - $12.5 million ($6.5 million deferred)

07 - $12.5 million ($6.5 million deferred)

08 - $12.5 million ($6.5 million deferred)

09 - Club option - $16.5 millioni or a $4 million buyout ($6.5 million deferred)

 

Lowell makes $8.5 million next year and $9.5 million in 07. If we got rid of his contract, we could easily afford Griffey. Enc/Conine come off the books and I doubt we'll resign Gonzo.

 

The hard part of this plan is to clear Lowell's contract, get the Reds to pick up a large portion (our pitching prospects and Dunn/Pena/Kearns should be able to take care of that), and Griffey agreeing to the deal. He lives in Orlando and we have a much better chance to win a World Series than the Reds do. If he really wants to win, I think he'd okay the trade.

hmmm Why would we want this? I am sorry but Griffey does little for us. He might draw 1,000 fans more and all. But he Hates Jack and the FO said Jack isnt going anywhere. So I doubt this would happen.

 

I like the Sox trade best personally.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.