Ron Villone again?

Ramp

is 3 nights in a row, but maybe Jack was thinking about using Villone for one batter.

He knew that the Cards may burn a hitter, but Villone has been successful against both RH and LH. I didn't want to see Valerio out there. So I don't have a huge problem with the way Jack managed the game

Guys,

When I posted the Jack must go thread so many said I am crazy...he won a World Series. YOU wanted him. This is a man that refused to use his bench even when Pierre and Lowell were slumping. He has always done stuff like this with the pen. Jim Mecir or Alfonseca should have worked the 7th tonight. That's not second guessing, that's using your bullpen. We don't use Alfonseca because John Mabry was going to PH? Come on.

As I have said, maybe this team wins it on pure talent. Jack McKeon adds nothing. On nights like tonight his very odd decisions only get in the way.

888109[/snapback]

We get your point by now. We didn't want him, Loria wants him!

888118[/snapback]

Fish, so early on it was hitting the panic button and now it was Loria's who wanted him. Each time the topic was raised you wanted McKeon. Sorry...when the topic is raised I have no choice but to take the same stance I always have. Not everyone does :whistle

I probably would have gone with Mecir.

888200[/snapback]

Pre-Game interview on QAM. Jack said he wanted to give him the day off today

Not everyone is available, every night

888217[/snapback]

But a guy who has pitched 2 nights in a row IS available to pitch a third night?

I would have put in Alfonseca then.

is 3 nights in a row, but maybe Jack was thinking about using Villone for one batter.

He knew that the Cards may burn a hitter, but Villone has been successful against both RH and LH. I didn't want to see Valerio out there. So I don't have a huge problem with the way Jack managed the game

888160[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking.

I probably would have gone with Mecir.

888200[/snapback]

Pre-Game interview on QAM. Jack said he wanted to give him the day off today

Not everyone is available, every night

888217[/snapback]

But a guy who has pitched 2 nights in a row IS available to pitch a third night?

I would have put in Alfonseca then.

888240[/snapback]

against a LH hitter? you would be calling for Jack's head if Mabry went yard vs Alfonseca

this stuff happens, is baseball.

The ballgame didnt have a good feeling. We stranded a billion of runners and could never get thta big hit

And if Villone struck out the side, all you guys would be riding Jack's weiner.

Get over it.

888245[/snapback]

That wasn't about to happen. You could see immediately that Villone didn't have his usual control. I wonder how his warm up went in the bullpen.

888256[/snapback]

Villone is known to be wild

Guys,

When I posted the Jack must go thread so many said I am crazy...he won a World Series. YOU wanted him. This is a man that refused to use his bench even when Pierre and Lowell were slumping. He has always done stuff like this with the pen. Jim Mecir or Alfonseca should have worked the 7th tonight. That's not second guessing, that's using your bullpen. We don't use Alfonseca because John Mabry was going to PH? Come on.

As I have said, maybe this team wins it on pure talent. Jack McKeon adds nothing. On nights like tonight his very odd decisions only get in the way.

888109[/snapback]

888118[/snapback]

Fish, so early on it was hitting the panic button and now it was Loria's who wanted him. Each time the topic was raised you wanted McKeon. Sorry...when the topic is raised I have no choice but to take the same stance I always have. Not everyone does :whistle

888198[/snapback]

I wanted McKeon? LOL

I was OK if he was fired or stayed. I trust the FO on making that decision. They actually know whats going on the clubhouse. We are mostly speculating.

I sometimes hate the NY mentality on this board. Fire the coaches, trade the players, revant the whole team . . . .

Guys,

888109[/snapback]

888118[/snapback]

888198[/snapback]

I wanted McKeon? LOL

I was OK if he was fired or stayed. I trust the FO on making that decision. They actually know whats going on the clubhouse. We are mostly speculating.

I sometimes hate the NY mentality on this board. Fire the coaches, trade the players, revant the whole team . . . .

888294[/snapback]

I somewhat agree with you on the FIRE mentality. I never wanted Jack gone because of the record. I wanted him gone because I think he is a bad manager. We all know he is bad at handling a bullpen and a bench. His in-game strategy is nothing to speak of. And his communication is horrible. Like Mike Keenan for the Panthers it works at first but then grows old and disruptive.

(all stats from before today's game)

Marlins? Bullpen vs left handed hitters

Jason Vargas: .167 BAA, .250 BAA, 0 HR

Todd Jones: .198 BAA, .258 OBP, 0 HR

Antonio Alfonseca: .200 BAA, .222 OBP, 0 HR (although limited sample size, 3-15)

Ron Villone: .205 BAA, .316 OBP, 0 HR

Guillermo Mota: .231 BAA, .330 OBP, 3 HR

Jim Mecir: .255 BAA, .373 OBP, 1 HR

Valerio De Los Santos: .303 BAA, .378 OBP, 2 HR

Mota and Mecir aren't very good vs lefties... I could see the argument for Alfonseca.

Especially when you consider putting in a lefty makes LaRussa put in a righty PH:

Villone vs RHB: .239 BAA, .371 OBP, 2 HR

Valerio vs RHB: .245 BAA, .362 OBP, 2 HR

In essence it's:

Alfonseca vs LHB: .200 BAA, .222 OBP, 0 HR or

Villone vs RHB: .239 BAA, .371 OBP, 2 HR or

Valerio vs RHB: .245 BAA, .362 OBP, 2 HR

(all stats from before today's game)

Marlins? Bullpen vs left handed hitters

Jason Vargas: .167 BAA, .250 BAA, 0 HR

Todd Jones: .198 BAA, .258 OBP, 0 HR

Antonio Alfonseca: .200 BAA, .222 OBP, 0 HR (although limited sample size, 3-15)

Ron Villone: .205 BAA, .316 OBP, 0 HR

Guillermo Mota: .231 BAA, .330 OBP, 3 HR

Jim Mecir: .255 BAA, .373 OBP, 1 HR

Valerio De Los Santos: .303 BAA, .378 OBP, 2 HR

Mota and Mecir aren't very good vs lefties... I could see the argument for Alfonseca.

Especially when you consider putting Villone in makes LaRussa put in a righty:

In essence it's:

Alfonseca vs LHB: .200 BAA, .222 OBP, 0 HR? ? ? or

888339[/snapback]

How about the numbers for Villone when he pitched 2 nights in a row before?

Not to mention he JUST got traded 3 days ago...

How about the numbers for Villone when he pitched 2 nights in a row before?

Not to mention he JUST got traded 3 days ago...

888371[/snapback]

Ron Villone on third straight day in 2005:

April 30 @ OAK: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 31 pitches (7 batters faced)

May 29 @TB: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 11 pitches (4 batters faced)

June 22 vsOAK: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 25 pitches (4 batters faced)

July 10 @LAA: 0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (2 batters faced)

TOTAL: 4 1/3 IP, 1 H, 1 ER (2.07 ERA) (13/17 hitters faced retired)

Pretty damned good. Pitching his third straight day was not a factor. How about we try to do some research before we claim these broad general sweeping statements???