Japan Remembers Nuclear Bombing

Dan Marino Forever 13

60 YEARS LATER

HIROSHIMA, Japan (Aug. 6) -- Hiroshima marked the 60th anniversary Saturday of the first atomic bomb attack with prayers and water for the dead and a call by the city's mayor for nuclear powers to abandon their arsenals and stop ''jeopardizing human survival.''

At 8:15 a.m., the instant of the blast, the city's trolleys stopped and more than 55,000 people assembled at Peace Memorial Park observed a moment of silence that was broken only by the ringing of a bronze bell.

A flock of doves was released into the sky. Then wreaths and ladles of water - symbolizing the suffering of those who died in the atomic inferno - were offered at a simple, arch-shaped stone monument at the center of the park.

Outside the nearby A-Bomb Dome, one of the few buildings left standing after the blast, peace activists held a die-in to commemorate the bombing that turned life to death for more than 140,000 and forever changed the face of war.

Fumie Yoshida was just 16 when Hiroshima was bombed. She survived but lost her father, brother and sister. On Saturday, she chose not to attend the formal memorial, but with a small group of friends paid her respects privately in the peace park.

''My father's remains have never been found,'' she said. ''Those of us who went through this all know that we must never repeat this tragedy. But I think many Japanese today are forgetting.''

In a ''Peace Declaration,'' Hiroshima's outspoken Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba vowed to never allow a repeat of the tragedy and gave an impassioned plea for the abolition of nuclear weapons, saying the United States, Russia and other members of the nuclear club are ''jeopardizing human survival.''

''Many people around the world have succumbed to the feeling that there is nothing we can do,'' he said. ''Within the United Nations, nuclear club members use their veto power to override the global majority and pursue their selfish objectives.''

In a more subdued speech, Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi offered condolences for the dead.

''I offer deep prayers from my heart to those who were killed,'' he said, vowing that Japan would be a leader in the international movement against nuclear proliferation.

Though Hiroshima has risen from the rubble to become a thriving city of 3 million, most of whom were born after the war, the anniversary underscores its ongoing tragedy.

Officials estimate that about 140,000 people were killed instantly or died within a few months after the Enola Gay dropped its deadly payload over the city, which then had a population of about 350,000.

Three days later, another U.S. bomber, Bock's Car, dropped a plutonium bomb on the Japanese city of Nagasaki, killing about 80,000 people. Japan surrendered on Aug. 15, 1945, ending World War II.

Including those initially listed as missing or who died afterward from a loosely defined set of bomb-related ailments, including cancers, Hiroshima officials now put the total number of dead in this city alone at 242,437.

This year, 5,373 more names were added to the list.

This Article Is From AOL News. The last time that I checked the poll (today- 12:45pm) The poll looked this way:

Yes: 89%

No: 11%

Keep In mind that if that the United States had to invade Japan an estimated 1 million Americans would have been killed! Now think if it was the right thing to do.

891003[/snapback]

I think the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings took about 350,000 japanese in an instant. What many people don't know, is that Japan has surrendered before the bombs were dropped.

Not to mention the many Japanese people in that area that have been affected by the uber-strong radiation caused by the uranium in the bombs.

Dick. :mad

I have a hard time validating the dropping of the bomb. I am a republican and in most cases I side with America, but for me it's just too hard to justify this. How is what we did different than September 11th?

I understand the argument for dropping the bomb, I just don't think that validates it. IMO you don't kill innocent civilians for any reason.

Keep In mind that if that the United States had to invade Japan an estimated 1 million Americans would have been killed! Now think if it was the right thing to do.

891003[/snapback]

I think the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings took about 350,000 japanese in an instant. What many people don't know, is that Japan has surrendered before the bombs were dropped.

Not to mention the many Japanese people in that area that have been affected by the uber-strong radiation caused by the uranium in the bombs.

891033[/snapback]

What gives you that idea? Don't start reeling off conspiracy theorists either. I want cold, hard evidence.

Now my opinion on the matter is: Hindsight is always 20/20. At the time, it was the right thing to do from an American standpoint as the Japanese government vowed to fight to the death. Who knows how many Japanese civilians might have died in the crossfire between the Americans and the Japanese soldiers. Juanky and I talked the subject of how the Romans would burn cities and towns down if someone transgressed them from there. At the time, it was horrible, but in terms of history, it didn't really matter and helped drive the world on. Nowadays, with the atomic bombs we have opened Pandora's box. Just one of them could wipe out an area of 100 square miles. But to do great things, one must take risks. Only time will tell if it was the right risk. Lets say in 1000 years the world is driven by clean nuclear fission and their is peace. Nuclear technology was developed using a deadly weapon but it has led to cleaner energy supplies. I don't think we can truly judge history without giving at least 100 years in between.

891003[/snapback]

891033[/snapback]

First off, you're wrong about the Japanese surrendering. They were CONSIDERING surrendering at that time, because of starvation in their country, but they had not yet surrendered, and didn't formally surrender until a month after the first bomb was dropped.

Some argue that if other bombing raids of a non-Atomic nature were done, they would have surrendered. It's also debateable whether or not detonating an atomic bomb on a remote island and showing the Japanese the potential destruction in hopes to intimidate them into surrendering would have worked.

Also, during a time of World War, it's not the President's job to worry about the loss of life of his opponent, which in this case was the Japanese. The U.S. was concerned with winning the war, not how many Japanese would die in a potential A-bomb attack, and rightfully so. You don't put your opponent's life ahead of U.S. life in a time of war, which calling for an invasion of Japan over an A-bomb attack arguably would have done.

Additionally, if the U.S. had decided to invade Japan instead of dropping the bombs, they would have lost hunderds of thousands of American lives. There would be no reason, if you're the United States, to risk this loss of life when you can drop a bomb to potentially end the war and have no loss of life but the same end result.

If the American public would have heard after an invasion that cost hunderds of thousands of American lives that the same result could have been achieved with the dropping of a few bombs and zero loss of American life, how would they have reacted? They would have called for Truman's head, and rightfully so. Put in the position he was, I don't blame Truman for the decision he made, though I wish there was another way to do it.

Guest markotsay7

I have a hard time validating the dropping of the bomb. I am a republican and in most cases I side with America, but for me it's just too hard to justify this.

891097[/snapback]

Same exact thing here.

However, as someone said in this post, hindsight is 20/20...at the time I would have supported it, I'm sure.

How is what we did different than September 11th?

891097[/snapback]

Bombing Japan was during a WAR. September 11th was a cowardly, unwarranted attack.

891158[/snapback]

True, but if you think about it the terrorist would say they had been at war also. They have no physical country, so they can't formally declare war in the classic fashion, but they had declared war against us.

I also agree that September 11th was cowardly and unwarranted, I don't want to come off as a crazy liberal here, but the dropping of the bombs was fairly similar. War or not, IMO you don't kill civilians on purpose. Drop precision bombs on military bases, but there's no reason to obliterate 2 citys with mass destruction bombs.

You know as sad as the bombing was and a victory it was for us as it officially ended World War II, the end of the war was so beneficial to Japan as the progressed into the technological superiority that it is today.

Could another way have been found? I'm sure, but another way could have been found by them as well when they bombed Pearl Harbor. That's not to say eye for an eye is rigth though...

The bottom line is the fact that the bombs killed innocent people.

Children

Mothers

Grandmothers

A war is fought between soldiers.

The atomic bomb is just about as cowardly as the 9/11 attacks.

891222[/snapback]

You ever hear of Okinawa?

If the US had to invade the Japanese mainland, those children, mothers, and grandmothers, would not have been spared.

Not only was the US saving its own people by dropping the bomb, it was saving the Japanese people from themselves.

891233[/snapback]

Exactly. The Japanese government was willing to do anything to protect the home islands.Whether it meant the destruction of the Japanese or not.

The bottom line is the fact that the bombs killed innocent people.

Children

Mothers

Grandmothers

A war is fought between soldiers.

The atomic bomb is just about as cowardly as the 9/11 attacks.

891222[/snapback]

You ever hear of Okinawa?

If the US had to invade the Japanese mainland, those children, mothers, and grandmothers, would not have been spared.

Not only was the US saving its own people by dropping the bomb, it was saving the Japanese people from themselves.

891233[/snapback]

Exactly. The Japanese government was willing to do anything to protect the home islands.Whether it meant the destruction of the Japanese or not.

891236[/snapback]

Also remember that after the bombings the people had to be convinced by way of the Gyokuon-hoso.

891244[/snapback]

Exactly.

891003[/snapback]

891033[/snapback]

The Japanese did not surrender before the bombing.

On a very sarcastic note, I think it was wrong for the US to get involved in WWII. We should have kept our noses in our own business, but we were afraid of losing money in business with our European allies. Carpet bombing was wrong and we were the real terrorists, not Hitler. :plain

That is probably what people would be saying if WWII were taking place today.

On a very sarcastic note, I think it was wrong for the US to get involved in WWII. We should have kept our noses in our own business, but we were afraid of losing money in business with our European allies. Carpet bombing was wrong and we were the real terrorists, not Hitler. :plain

891272[/snapback]

People were saying that back then. Thats why we didn't get into the war till Japan attacked us.

On a very sarcastic note, I think it was wrong for the US to get involved in WWII.? We should have kept our noses in our own business, but we were afraid of losing money in business with our European allies.? Carpet bombing was wrong and we were the real terrorists, not Hitler. :plain

891272[/snapback]

People were saying that back then. Thats why we didn't get into the war till Japan attacked us.

891287[/snapback]

The lesson to be learned is... never wake a sleeping giant. :thumbup

People keep forgetting that.

Guest Moneyball

but they need to drop 2 bombs? I am sure one would have being enough..

891232[/snapback]

They were told to surrender before the first one.

They didn't.

After the first one they were told to surrender again.

They didn't.

We dropped another.

They surrendered.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.