Jack McKeon POSSIBLE replacement??

The_Punisher

I'd still like to see us make an offer to Tony Pena, I think with the youth on this team a manager like him could do very well here. Remember what he did with KC in 2003 with considerably less talent than he would have here? Pena should be the guy, he works well with the youngsters, works well with the managers, and brings some of that latin fire(like Ozzie Guillen).

I for one have always liked Davey Johnson and the type of Baseball he manages...He plays 3 run homer ball and with the type of guys we have at the top of the line-up to get on base and then Cabs, Delgado, Enc to Homer his style will work perfect here....

As for Leyland no thanks, when the sh*t hit the fan he took off.....

Guest FlummoxedLummox

Jack's here to finish the year, but I don't see him staying next year. He's getting older -- not that his age makes him incapable of managing -- and I'm sure he'd like to spend some of his golden years with his family, while he's still in good health. Just my opinion.

Ditto.

This is not the right time to fire Jack? or any time later this year. We are not in June or July. :mischief

Jack may give us three consecutive winning seasons and one or two :thumbup championship(s) but I won?t see him as manager here next year. He is not able to manage a team for a full season any longer ? i.e. lack of energy, motivation force etc.

i wouldnt want davy johnson...we play prototypical national league baseball and he is clearly an american league manager...anyone who waits for the 3 run homer outside of boston last year doesnt win, its why the white sox wont win this year...i do like fredi gonzalez or tony pena though...those would be great choices

i wouldnt want davy johnson...we play prototypical national league baseball and he is clearly an american league manager...anyone who waits for the 3 run homer outside of boston last year doesnt win, its why the white sox wont win this year...i do like fredi gonzalez or tony pena though...those would be great choices

898812[/snapback]

:blink:

The White Sox don't wait for the homer at all...

Jack's here to finish the year, but I don't see him staying next year. He's getting older -- not that his age makes him incapable of managing -- and I'm sure he'd like to spend some of his golden years with his family, while he's still in good health. Just my opinion.

898771[/snapback]

But, he's "just getting started" :thumbup .

898812[/snapback]

:blink:

The White Sox don't wait for the homer at all...

898836[/snapback]

Aren't they leading the AL in stolen bases and sacrifice bunts. :lol

898812[/snapback]

Huh? You may have been a tad young to see him manage the Mets in the 80's but he had a similar team to what we have here.

Dykstra, Backman, Strawberry stole more bases than our team does.

Backman, Hernandez and Ray Knight were excellent hit & run batters.

Davey Johnson lets his players play their game. He is an aggressive manager that does an excellent job handling the bullpen. If Strawberry could steal 30 bases in front of Gary Carter's bat I don't think you have anything to fear about him waiting for a 3-run HR.

He has handled a staff of young studs and also has experience managing problems, drug addicts, alcoholics, gang members, etc. Davey would not be my first choice but he would make a fine replacement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.