Will we contend?

legacyofCangelosi

Just to open up a discussion. I'd like to know what people think our chances of being competitive next year are. IMO if we are going to trade delgado away foe example ,we might as well just trade loduca, and pierre to complete the fire sale. We have a good young nucleus that lets me think we have a bright future. however, if we aren't goping to be good its best to trade the veterans now while their stock is still high.

If this happens, The marlins do not have a good chance of getting anywhere next season, Look at the pitching roster after this deal is done, its nothing, we have nothing now, its over. This is a nightmare, and a big blow to the marlins (whats left of them) and the marlin fans (and whats left of them) Do you think people are going to come and see a team full of AAA players, they didn't come to the stadium when we had the big names playing!!

I want Lo Duca, Delgado, and Pierre traded. The Cubs want Pierre, do it. Throw in Pierre w/ anoter prospect to get Matt Murton. Trade Delgado for Petit and Milledge. Trade Lo Duca for Dioner Navarro. Get a good strong young nucleus together, fill the holes with home grown talent(Willingham, Dillon, Wilson, Andino, Aguila on the bench...Tankersly, Resop, Messenger, Kensing, Bostick in the pen). Get Volstad as ready as possible for 2007. Let them all blend together, and compete in 07 with a payroll that will be in the $20 million range. Use the money not being used for payroll to throw at the funding gap for a stadium, that way revenue from the stadium will keep this core together for a long time to come.

Uhhh....No

I remember during Spring 1998 when Dombroski was on the talk shows giving the spin that the team will be competitive and not as bad as people thought. If 54-108 was being competitive, I would have hated to see how bad the team was if it wasn't competitive.

Yes, they may still have D-Train and Cabrera, put pitching is what matters, and having D-Train teamed on a staff with up and comers isn't going to cut it. Yes, Vargas cut his teeth last year, and even then once eh got around the league the second time, it was hard for him to get to the 6th or 7th inning and we had the useless middle relief come in an lose the games.

If the firesale continues, I don't think they will sink to depths of .333 ball, but I would look at 70 wins being the goal or to be greedy, not to lose 90 games at 73-89.

I dont think it is important to the FO that we contend this year. What I think is important is, that we put a team that is competitive on the field with a very young core(and very cheap, for the now, in hopes of new revenue opening up and us actually being able to keep them together), that will contend from 2007 on.

And I do want to see us go young across the board next year. What can it hurt?

No...hell no.

Johnson and Olsen need to become the #1's they're capable of becoming because Willis may be our best pitcher, but he isn't an ace...the lineup after the anticipated purge figures to be the weakest maybe in the team's history (who exactly would lead off?), and the bullpen was horrible when the team was spending money, so can you imagine it when the team isn't spending money? Yikes...

The 2005 Oakland A's aren't as good as we are, and they won 88 games. I firmly believe we can go .500.

They were better than this current Marlins team and in a less competitive division.

Contrary to what Delgado's agent thinks, this team WILL be competitive if we field a team of Willis, Cabrera, and the seven dwarves (Hermida, Olsen, Vargas, Johnson, LoDuca, Castillo, and HanRam).

No we won't. We'll be lucky to win 72 games without Delgado. I guarantee Cabrera will have his worst season ever if Delgado goes, because he's going to get frustrated with everyone else in the lineup and fall into the classic "he's trying to do too much" trap.

And anyone on here who expects Ramirez to break a .240 batting average with 4 homers is dreaming. A guy can't go from not walking and not hitting for power at AA to walking and hitting for decent power in the majors. What you're going to get out of Ramirez is a full season of what Andino did last year. Their AA stats aren't that different. Hanley just has more hype.