Pierre traded to the Cubs

Valyekrin

DALLAS -- The fire sale continues.

Juan Pierre

Pierre

The Florida Marlins have tentatively agreed on a four-player deal that would send Juan Pierre to the Chicago Cubs, for three young pitchers -- Sergio Mitre and prospects Renyel Pinto and Ricky Nolasco, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported early Wednesday.

The deal is pending physicals examinations.

So far this offseason, the Marlins have traded Carlos Delgado, Josh Beckett, Mike Lowell, Luis Castillo, Paul Lo Duca and Guillermo Mota. Pitcher A.J. Burnett, who signed with the Toronto Blue Jays on Tuesday, left via free agency.

The 28-year-old Pierre hit .276 and stole 57 bases this past season and is eligible for arbitration. He earned $3.7 million last season.

Pierre is expected to lead off and play center field in Chicago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2250647

What happened to that article about us looking to trade for position players? Im guessing we are not going to know some of these minor leaguers very long. Thanks for the memories Juan! :confused

I believe that the only Major League ready pitcher in this deal is Sergio Mitre, but why more arms, why could they not lure Felix Pie, this doesn't make sense what so ever. Mitre is a stud in my eyes, but what we really needed to do was get something for our future offense, either way am sure they got an much as they could out of the bidding war.

why could they not lure Felix Pie

JP is a 1 year stop gap for Pie. They gave up some pretty decent spects for 1 year of an average player... and no way they'd give up Pie when they don't have the security that JP would even come back after next year.

Wow. If that's true we made out like bandits considering they'll only have Pierre for one year. Pinto and Nolasco are top 10 quality prospects in the Cubs system, and Mitre can be a quality starter if given the chance.

We have so many pitching prospects now, I guarantee we'll swing some of them for positional players.

Some may not agree with the FO's strategy of stocking up on pitching, but in the end I think it'll pay dividends IMO.

I believe that the only Major League ready pitcher in this deal is Sergio Mitre, but why more arms, why could they not lure Felix Pie, this doesn't make sense what so ever. Mitre is a stud in my eyes, but what we really needed to do was get something for our future offense, either way am sure they got an much as they could out of the bidding war.

we're talking about Juan Pierre here...

The obsession with pitching prospects truly is baffling...

It's a good trade, but honestly where the hell are all these arms going to go.

you know a decent portion will be moved at some point for some offense. Let it all shake out then we'll see the end result and who knows...

We did manage to snag one of their top tens

8. Ricky Nolasco (RHP) (18) 6-2, 220 lbs, 21 yrs old, 4th round pick in 2001. Nolasco will likely be in the 11-20 range on most lists, but I cannot resist putting him here after the year he had last year in Daytona. Nolasco is not as sexy as the other pitchers in the top ten, including Ryu, but he may already be more polished than all of them. He features a good sinking fastball in the low 90s, and good command of a breaking ball. I said last year that I wanted to see how he handled full season ball before I got too excited, and not only did he handle full season, but he skipped a level and did it in Daytona. Like Sergio Mitre, Nolasco gets lots of ground balls and works both sides of the plate very, very well. Unlike Mitre, Nolasco will not have to skip Daytona before he hits AA. Mitre had a couple of years of junior college before getting drafted and was 22 when he hit AA last year, so that is mostly why I have Nolasco this high ? after being drafted out of high school, he?s made solid progress every year and will likely be one of the younger players in AA this year at just 21. Tools guys will never give him the credit he deserves, just like they never did with Mitre, but it was Mitre who the Cubs turned to when they needed innings last year (admittedly in Guzman?s absence), and I think Nolasco has an excellent chance of being a strong second act to Mitre. Nolasco?s strikeout numbers have been better than Mitre?s (until this year, when they were similar), and Nolasco has given up very, very few home runs in his tenure as a Cub ? only 8 in 257 innings. While Nolasco?s ceiling is probably just of a #3 or #4 guy, he?s closer than most people think to making an impact, especially if his groundball stuff plays in AA as well as Mitre?s did.

be honest, who didnt see this coming? cubs need a CF and a leadoff man. We have one of the best leadoff men in the league who happens to play CF. match made in heaven? yeah, pretty much.

Come on Loria, do it, trade Cabrera and Willis! I dare you!

Most of the pitchers we're getting aren't ML ready, so as stacked as we are, we'll probably need a couple of free agent arms in the pen at least.

In '07, we will have more than we know what to do with....but again, we have to assume the FO is going to turn around and trade some of these prospects for position players.