March 28, 200620 yr The Sun Sentinnel has a nice article on Carlos Martinez...evidently Girardi told him before he left the dugout in yesterday's game that he made the roster...Congratulations Carlos....you have certainly earned it..... Now it's down to 2 pitchers if we keep the 3 veterans which we should....
March 28, 200620 yr Signed as Juan Nova, Carlos Martinez has opened eyes. By Juan C. Rodriguez South Florida Sun-Sentinel Posted March 28 2006 FORT LAUDERDALE ? The sleeper is a keeper. Right-hander Carlos Martinez completed his two-inning outing against the Orioles on Monday at Fort Lauderdale Stadium. Before leaving the dugout, Martinez said manager Joe Girardi told him he'd made the team. A mid-90s fastball and his command of three other pitches made the Marlins forget Martinez has totaled three innings above Class A. Martinez, who turns 24 in May, spent all but a fraction of last season at Jupiter, where he went 4-5 with a 3.12 ERA, 22 saves, 22 walks and 65 strikeouts in 60 2/3 innings. "He's done nothing but impress us," said Girardi last week. "Every time he goes out, he gets outs. He's down in the zone with all his pitches. His innings have been as easy as anyone's here." Martinez literally struggled with his identity as a minor-leaguer. The Marlins signed him out of the Dominican Republic as Juan Nova, who they believed was 16 years old. Martinez is listed as Nova in the 2003 Marlins media guide. Turned out Juan Nova was really 18-year-old Carlos Martinez. By the following season his true name and birth date had been established. "I had a lot of problems because, at that time, I was crazy and signed with a birth certificate that wasn't mine," Martinez said. "That really messed up my career. I could have been here a year earlier." From 2001 through the early part of 2003, Martinez did not play anywhere other than the Dominican Summer League and the Gulf Coast League. He settled into low Class A Greensboro for his final 15 appearances and logged a 2.95 ERA over 181/3 innings in 2003. After a quality campaign last season, the Marlins added Martinez to the 40-man roster and asked him not to pitch winter ball. He still found the wherewithal to add a split-finger to go with his fastball, changeup and slider. "I wanted to show them the pitches I needed, that I had more than a fastball and slider," said Martinez, undaunted at the task of breaking camp with this team. "I always thought there would be an opportunity because we're all young. You play baseball without fear because you know when they have all [veterans] they're always sending down guys. Right now, I'm not scared." If Martinez ever does have doubts, he can seek reassurance right in the Marlins' clubhouse. Martinez and catcher Miguel Olivo both are from Villa Vasquez, a Dominican country town in the province of Monte Cristi. That area has produced a few of major-leaguers like Tony Pena, Felix Rodriguez and Ozzie Virgil. Olivo was the first from his village and can now boast an integral role in producing the second. "[Martinez] signed with a pair of spikes that I gave him," Olivo said. "I know his family very well. I would always push him. We're from the country and I was the most advanced player from there. I tried to help him become what he is today. He saw the way I work and I think that motivated him. He's from a good family. He likes to work." Martinez said he barely threw 80 mph when the Marlins signed him for $25,000 in 2000. At 170, he weighed about 40 pounds less than he does now. "When I was throwing 79 I thought that's all I'm going to throw because I didn't see myself getting better," said Martinez, adding that he saw a dramatic increase in velocity after beginning a workout program and supplementing his diet. "I started doing the work I needed to and got better. ... I started drinking vitamins, things that weren't prohibited. I've never injected myself or taken pills to throw harder. Everything has been natural." Performing like a natural this spring got him to the major leagues. Link What a great story, he's come from nowhere to claim a job, and from the sounds of him he deserves it. I can't wait to see him pitch. Sounds like he was a closer in Class A too, maybe he might be the closer of the future instead of Bowyer? Time will tell.
March 28, 200620 yr this is great news, the guy can really throw. its grea to see him make the team i hope he makes the most of it
March 28, 200620 yr wow that was definitely a dark horse. he throws hard though & put on a good show in ST, that's all you can ask for. hope he lasts!
March 28, 200620 yr I'm still confused on his age. Signed in 2003 as a "16" year old. Found out that he was really 2 years older. Now it's 2006 so he should be 19 or 20 with two years added meaning 21 or 22...but the article calls him a 24 year old. :confused
March 28, 200620 yr He signed in 2000 according to another article have a look at the minor league forum, there was a discussion there about it.
March 28, 200620 yr Single A to the Majors aint something you see everyday unless its a rule 5 draft pick.
March 28, 200620 yr congrats kid...I need to re-do my bullpen now. Not so fast...what's the possibility that the Wellemeyer deal bumps Martinez back down to the minors? :mischief2
March 28, 200620 yr congrats kid...I need to re-do my bullpen now. Not so fast...what's the possibility that the Wellemeyer deal bumps Martinez back down to the minors? :mischief2 It may more likely mean that Nolasco is Tampa Bay bound...
March 28, 200620 yr congrats kid...I need to re-do my bullpen now. Not so fast...what's the possibility that the Wellemeyer deal bumps Martinez back down to the minors? :mischief2 It may more likely mean that Nolasco is Tampa Bay bound... Or at the very least expendable.
March 28, 200620 yr This guy can throw 4 pitches. I'd like a guy like that to be a starter... Then again, there is no more room for starters in the whole organization.
March 29, 200620 yr Martinez is NOT in... yet. Girardi did have a conversation with right-hander Carlos Martinez in the Fort Lauderdale Stadium dugout Monday, but the message did not fully come across. Martinez left with the impression he had made the club. Tuesday, Girardi said, "That's what he said, not what I said." In addition to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Martinez told teammate and fellow Villa Vasquez, Dominican Republic native Miguel Olivo that he made the squad. ... http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins How on earth can you mistake a conversation that says "You're in with a good chance" to "You've made the team"?!?
March 29, 200620 yr Author and I still say he needs more seasoning in the minors.....3 innings past high A and only 7 innings in spring training...hey I hope he does make it but there has to be questions
March 29, 200620 yr yep, not so fast here..... especially with the Wellemeyer pickup, more decisions to be made.
March 29, 200620 yr and I still say he needs more seasoning in the minors.....3 innings past high A and only 7 innings in spring training...hey I hope he does make it but there has to be questions yep, I agree. I think the Welly acquisition knocks Martinez to AA, which would serve him well I think.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.