Allthis talk about Loria has me pondering the thought.................

With Loria collecting the revenue sharing money and having such a low paid team, he has to be making money. What is stopping him from doing this every and never increasing payroll. He could own the team for 30 more years, never move, be hated more, than I daresay, Wayne, and all the while turn a profit.

Kinda scary

p.s. It would be interesting if someone could ask loria at 7 on radio if he is actually gonna turn a profit. If someone would, I would be grateful.

That's what was going on in Cincinnati with the Bengals for awhile. The ownership kept the payroll down, and they managed to keep earning money for many years, although the team always sucked.

I agree that someone needs to ask him if he thinks he'll turn a profit. If he's smart, he'll say "no, i'm still losing money..." Or maybe he'll just pull a George W. Bush and pretend he couldn't hear the question.

Wayne is the reason we're in this predicament. What he did was sell of the cost and risk side of the baseball ledger while keeping the income side. He's been making money off the Marlins since day 1 and still is.

We are in this predicament because these teams know and accept the contracts when they take over them. Loria knew what he was walking into. The previous owner knew what he was signing and walking into.

The marlins are more to blame then Wayne for selling the team. Everyone comes in and talks of building a stadium with their own money. When it comes time to fork it up they then open up their hands and ask for money.

One billionare or another it is all the same to me a regular working class individual.

With Loria collecting the revenue sharing money and having such a low paid team, he has to be making money. What is stopping him from doing this every and never increasing payroll. He could own the team for 30 more years, never move, be hated more, than I daresay, Wayne, and all the while turn a profit.

Kinda scary

p.s. It would be interesting if someone could ask loria at 7 on radio if he is actually gonna turn a profit. If someone would, I would be grateful.

I think Buster Olney or Ken Rosenthal had an article that said the player's union would try to get a "salary floor" built in (a minimum level that payroll MUST be at), so their wouldn't be such a disparity. If the Marlins are getting "x" amount from revenue sharing, it has to go back into the product. I think he suggested 50 million minimum a year (he said only 7 teams were less tham $50M payroll) or an aggregate of $150 over three years, so if the Marlins spent $15 in year 1, they had to spend $135 over years 2-3.

It seems easy for people to forget all the years ownership lost money in Montreal and here. People seem to want to look at the possibility of the Marlins being profitable this season without considering how much money the franchise (combined Montreal/Florida) lost over the last eight years.

Loria wound up as the majority owner of the Expos because the ownership group there abandoned the team financially and left Loria holding the bag to keep the franchise afloat. It was the "cash calls" ignored by his partners and ultimately paid by Loria that diluted their investments and led to him becoming the majority owner. And certainly no one can make an argument that with the lease here overall the franchise has made money since 2002. You can say he may have made X in a particular year but overall it should be clear to anyone who remembers the sight of a chronically empty stadium in Montreal for years and years and here in 2002 and early 2003, that overall he's lost a fortune propping up two franchises.

As for the idea of a floor on salaries as chief steroid-enabler Donald Fehr suggested, that will happen when his union agrees to a cap on salaries and not before. As usual Donald wants it all one way, more for the players and let everyone else be damned.

Wayne is the reason we're in this predicament. What he did was sell of the cost and risk side of the baseball ledger while keeping the income side. He's been making money off the Marlins since day 1 and still is.

We are in this predicament because these teams know and accept the contracts when they take over them. Loria knew what he was walking into. The previous owner knew what he was signing and walking into.

The marlins are more to blame then Wayne for selling the team. Everyone comes in and talks of building a stadium with their own money. When it comes time to fork it up they then open up their hands and ask for money.

One billionare or another it is all the same to me a regular working class individual.

Which is why I dislike Henry most of all.

Kinda scary

I think Buster Olney or Ken Rosenthal had an article that said the player's union would try to get a "salary floor" built in (a minimum level that payroll MUST be at), so their wouldn't be such a disparity. If the Marlins are getting "x" amount from revenue sharing, it has to go back into the product. I think he suggested 50 million minimum a year (he said only 7 teams were less tham $50M payroll) or an aggregate of $150 over three years, so if the Marlins spent $15 in year 1, they had to spend $135 over years 2-3.

The huge question would be, what would the penalties be for non-compliance?

That's what was going on in Cincinnati with the Bengals for awhile. The ownership kept the payroll down, and they managed to keep earning money for many years, although the team always sucked

Yeah, get this.

This is amazing.

You'll be shocked:

The Bengals kept payroll down for a couple years and then (*gasp*) the county approved their stadium (OMG!) and then they've spent to the salary cap every single year they've been in the new stadium.

Sure, their personnel decisions were retarded until Marvin Lewis came around, but it's amazing what happens when you get new revenue streams.

For the most part your statement is inaccurate anyway. They cut back in other areas moreso than payroll.