What I Want In A Ballpark

BasesLoadedWalk

1. Dimensions favoring the pitchers (my ideal would be LF 340'; LC 389'; C 420'; RC 397'; 340'; backstop similar to Dodger Stadium and foul territory measuring 17' from 1b/3b to stands). Include the "Bermuda Triangle" if you want.

2. 20' high walls at the corners with bleacher seats placed above them.

3. Rotating seats that would allow views for other events besides baseball.

4. Bullpens away from the action. This point can't be stated enough!

5. I favor an electronic scoreboard. Leave the manual ones to Wrigley and Fenway.

6. No LED displays in the stands, though. Too distracting.

7. If possible, a sliding tray that can allow for changing the field and exposing them to sunlight when the team is away.

8. Roof must be closed during day games, especially in the summer. :blink: But leave them open at nights. People should be able to see the stars during those warm S. Florida nights. :)

9. Gimmicky displays in the outfield at a MINIMUM. Maybe one display like a mechanical Marlin is good enough. I don't want a swimming pool nor palm trees, fake or real. They give off a stereotype about the area. But some people may like them.

10. Techno music is OK but only during rallies. But since it's S. Florida there should more salsa and merengue played. Just no "Enter The Sandman" puh-leeeeze! :rolleyes:

11. With that said, there should be a more liberal design for the outside of the ballpark. More metal than glass and make sure that the glass doesn't act as a magnifier for sunlight or distract the play on the field. :D

12. An area designated to commemorate the two championships won so far. It should be accessible to most people attending.

4. Bullpens away from the action. This point can't be stated enough!

6. No LED displays in the stands, though. Too distracting.

7. If possible, a sliding tray that can allow for changing the field and exposing them to sunlight when the team is away.

9. Gimmicky displays in the outfield at a MINIMUM. Maybe one display like a mechanical Marlin is good enough. I don't want a swimming pool nor palm trees, fake or real. They give off a stereotype about the area. But some people may like them.

I dont understand #7.

But I disagree with 4, 6, and especially 9.

#9 Have you seen how Coors Field has the Pine Trees in the OF and the Rocks thats bad ass.

#4 I want the Bullpens to be exposed to the fans...I dont know if that means away from the action or not?

#6 LED displays are just awesome so much information can be put on these.

Dude you want to make it almost impossible to hit a homer in left field. Dolphin Stadium LF at 330' with a big wall.

The way I figure, with an enclosed environment that comes with a retractable-roof venue plus the high heat and humidity, the ball will travel much further and higher than in a purely outdoor venue. Therefore, mitigations must be taken into consideration when deciding the dimensions. But...I'm willing to compromise on this issue...shorten the walls by 10'. ;)

I dont understand #7.

I've seen these in football and soccer stadia. It's a system where the grass is rolled out of the stadium using hydraulics when there are no games scheduled. Examples of these can be found at Sapporo Dome in Japan, the new Arizona Cardinals stadium in Glendale and the Gelredome in Holland. We may not afford it so it's a moot point.

But I disagree with 4, 6, and especially 9.

#9 Have you seen how Coors Field has the Pine Trees in the OF and the Rocks thats bad ass.

#4 I want the Bullpens to be exposed to the fans...I dont know if that means away from the action or not?

#6 LED displays are just awesome so much information can be put on these.

#9 - Yes I have seen the rocks and the pine trees at Coors.

#4 - I meant no bullpens in the field of play. It's a retro touch that isn't really necessary to the flow of the game. I don't mind bullpens close to the fans...as long as they're not in the field of play.

#6 - I get the feeling that it's just another way for someone to display a "Will You Marry Me?" message but in technicolor. ;)

I'd just like something that really distinguishes it from other parks...like the Green Monster, Ivy on the outfield walls etc...I definitely would want the Bermuda Triangle to stay. I'd be cool with Palm Trees or how about a beach area in the outfield or something where people can buy tickets, get some towels out there and lay down and watch the game...that'd be pretty sweet.

Dude you want to make it almost impossible to hit a homer in left field. Dolphin Stadium LF at 330' with a big wall.

The way I figure, with an enclosed environment that comes with a retractable-roof venue plus the high heat and humidity, the ball will travel much further and higher than in a purely outdoor venue. Therefore, mitigations must be taken into consideration when deciding the dimensions. But...I'm willing to compromise on this issue...shorten the walls by 10'. ;)

If you understand anything about the mechanics of humidity, you would realize the lack of humidity is what makes balls travel farther. The less thickness there is in the air, the easier it is for a ball to cut through it. Example, Coors Field. The air is so thin that the ball doesn't have to push through a lot, thus keeping its momentum going a lot longer.

Guest Festa

Those clammoring for a pitcher's park will get it. The info the Marlins sent to SA had a park with the following measurements: 335-375-406-386-340, with a 25 foot wall in leftfield, DS-like.

Guest Fritz

With a glut of very talented young pitchers in our system and a complete lack of high-quality hitting prospects, I'm so glad we might possibly have a pitcher friendly park. Let's screw over our hitters as much as possible. Scoring runs isn't important. Scoring runs just pisses me off. I guess we'll win a bunch of 1-0 or 2-1 games.

:plain

Open-air walkways so you can see the field when getting refreshments.

A family area for the kids to play.

Restaurants that face the field.

Pitch counts and detailed player stats on electronic scoreboards.

No more Micasukkee airboat races. :thumbdown

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.