Marlins vs Braves 5/16

Hotcorner

Florida Marlins (11-25) vs Atlanta Braves (18-20)

Dontrelle Willis (1-4, 6.22 ERA)

vs

Tim Hudson (3-3, 4.67 ERA)

Turner Field, 7:35 PM, EST

:compute Game Preview

Stuck in the worst losing streak of his four-year career, Dontrelle Willis looks to snap a career-high four-game skid when the Marlins continue their four-game series against the Atlanta Braves at Turner Field on Tuesday.

Willis led the majors with 22 wins last season and was the NL Cy Young runner-up, but has been dreadful in his last four starts. The left-hander has allowed 24 earned runs and 35 hits in 21 2-3 innings for a 9.97 ERA in that span.

"It all (stinks) having your butt handed to you," Willis said. "I want to go out there and be in the game until the end. I haven't been able to do that of late."

Willis didn't make it out of the third inning in his last start, allowing seven runs and 10 hits in just 2 2-3 innings in a 9-1 loss to the Braves (18-20) on Thursday. He threw 45 of his 72 pitches in the third inning, as Atlanta scored six runs.

The Marlins (11-25) are 1-7 in games when Willis takes the mound, after going 23-11 in his starts last season.

"I feel I'm responsible for a lot of things," Willis said. "I just have to do a better job of getting it done or don't put me out there. Then find somebody else. That's the way the game is. I better start going out there and getting things done or I might not have a job. That's how I feel."

Tim Hudson (3-3, 4.67) got the win against Willis on Thursday, and will oppose him again in this contest. Hudson gave up one run and five hits in six innings with a season-high seven strikeouts Thursday

"That's as good as I've felt all year," said Hudson, who has alternated wins and losses in his last five starts. "I felt like I could put lots of zeroes up on the scoreboard." The right-hander is 3-0 with a 2.22 ERA in four starts against the Marlins, allowing one earned run in each of his last three games against them.

Atlanta has won six of its last seven home games, and six of its last eight games overall.[/size]

Who's hot:

- In the month of May the Marlins as a team are batting .286, second in the NL. Unfortunately the Braves are 1st, batting a gaudy .309.

- Brian McCann went 3-for-5 with a homer yesterday and had a career-high five RBIs. McCann leads the NL in batting with a .352 average, and is 14-for-32 with 12 RBIs in his last nine games.

- Andruw Jones went 4-for-4 with four RBIs, while Jeff Francoeur went 2-for-5 to extended his career-best hitting streak to 13 games.

- Marlins third baseman Miguel Cabrera is 11-for-27 (.407) with two homers and eight RBIs in his last six games.

Who's not:

- The Marlins lead the majors in strikeouts as a team with 299.

- Dontrelle Willis. In his four straight losses, he's given up 24 earned runs in 21 2/3 innings, a 9.97 ERA.

- Ryan Langerhans, batting just .216 for the month & without an extra-base hit.

FLORIDA AT ATLANTA -- LINEUPS

FLORIDA								 ATLANTA							   

AVG  HR  RBI							AVG  HR  RBI   

Hanley Ramirez SS	   .333   2   16   Marcus Giles 2B		 .236   1	7   

Dan Uggla 2B			.307   5   18   Edgar Renteria SS	   .333   2   15   

Miguel Cabrera 3B	   .341   6   30   Chipper Jones 3B		.287   2   14   

Josh Willingham LF	  .295   7   29   Andruw Jones CF		 .295   9   38   

Joe Borchard RF		 .244   2	7   Jeff Francoeur RF	   .255   7   32   

Mike Jacobs 1B		  .218   5   22   Brian Jordan 1B		 .306   3	8   

Reggie Abercrombie CF   .232   2   10   Matt Diaz LF			.333   0	8   

Matt Treanor C		  .195   0	2   Todd Pratt C			.214   1	3   

Dontrelle Willis LHP	.154   0	1   Tim Hudson RHP		  .143   0	1