Favorite Airline? Least Favorite Airline?

CapeFish

Guest CrimsonCane

Though I've heard great things about JetBlue, I haven't been able to fly with them b/c they only fly out of Ft. Lauderdale and not MIA.

I fly between Boston and Miami alot due to college, and the cheapest rates for me always come from American Airlines. However, the flights into Miami have always had problems. Either the plane was delayed or it would take an hour for my luggage to appear on the conveyor. I've never had a problem-free flight on AA. I think all of my other flights have been pretty good.

When I visit my friend in Philadelphia I've always used AirTran and the rates have been really cheap.

To me, most of the airlines I've flown (American, Delta, United, US Airways, AirTran) are pretty similar. From what I've heard of JetBlue, I think it would be my favorite airline (better seats, TVs, etc), but normally I'll just go by which one has the lowest fare.

Though I've heard great things about JetBlue, I haven't been able to fly with them b/c they only fly out of Ft. Lauderdale and not MIA.

I fly between Boston and Miami alot due to college, and the cheapest rates for me always come from American Airlines. However, the flights into Miami have always had problems. Either the plane was delayed or it would take an hour for my luggage to appear on the conveyor. I've never had a problem-free flight on AA. I think all of my other flights have been pretty good.

When I visit my friend in Philadelphia I've always used AirTran and the rates have been really cheap.

To me, most of the airlines I've flown (American, Delta, United, US Airways, AirTran) are pretty similar. From what I've heard of JetBlue, I think it would be my favorite airline (better seats, TVs, etc), but normally I'll just go by which one has the lowest fare.

MIA is really an international flight airport while FLL is the domestic flight airport.

Delta Song is the absolute best. Each seat (not just first class, well there is no first class) comes with a tv screen that gets somwhere around 31 channels. The last time I flew Song, I was watching Comedy Central and Sportscenter the whole time. Plus, the food is 20 times better than any other airline I've ever been on.

Delta Song is the absolute best. Each seat (not just first class, well there is no first class) comes with a tv screen that gets somwhere around 31 channels. The last time I flew Song, I was watching Comedy Central and Sportscenter the whole time. Plus, the food is 20 times better than any other airline I've ever been on.

I guess not enough people agreed with you. Song went out of business last month, but their planes and routes will be reintegrated back into Delta.

I guess not enough people agreed with you. Song went out of business last month, but their planes and routes will be reintegrated back into Delta.

Song was an experiment by Delta and the lessons learned from it will be integrated into the Delta mainline.

Delta Announces New Domestic Long-haul Song Service

Airline to merge Song into Delta service

Adds first-class cabins, expands state-of-the-art digital in-flight entertainment at every seat to more than 100 aircraft

ATLANTA, Oct. 28, 2005 – Delta Air Lines announced today that it will tap the best features of its highly acclaimed Song product to launch a new and unique long-haul domestic Song service for Delta customers.

The plan to merge Song into the Delta travel experience includes:

Adding 26 first-class seats to Song’s existing fleet of 48 Boeing 757-200 aircraft, making the service more attractive to business travelers and significantly enhancing revenue opportunities.

Converting an additional 50-plus Delta aircraft to two-class Song service, complete with all-leather seating and new interiors throughout.

Expanding state-of-the-art personal digital in-flight entertainment to all 100-plus aircraft, with 24 channels of live television, 10 on-demand video channels, interactive video games and MP3 programming that allows customers to create their own play lists from an inventory of more than 1,600 songs.

Offering this exclusive Song service initially on all transcontinental Delta flights beginning fall 2006 and expanding the service to include all routes over 1,750 miles over two years.

Incorporating Delta’s new uniforms, improved snack service and award-winning SkyMiles? program to offer customers the best value in transcontinental travel.

“As Delta continues its transformation to become a more customer-focused airline, we are incorporating the best of Song into the best of Delta,� said Gerald Grinstein, Delta’s Chief Executive Officer. “Our new Song service will set the standard in transcontinental travel, making Delta the first choice for customers on these routes.�

Since its inception in April 2003, Song has become a customer favorite. However, Song flying has been limited primarily to leisure markets. “As part of our restructuring, we have the opportunity to deploy Song aircraft seasonally to more profitable flying — including into our hubs — and to further simplify our operations while expanding the great travel experience on Song to more Delta customers,� according to Jim Whitehurst, Chief Operating Officer for Delta. “We’ve learned a lot from Song and have already incorporated many of its positives into Delta. Features like new leather interiors, new uniforms, a simplified fare structure and faster turn times have resulted in 11 consecutive months of year-over-year improvement in customer service ratings at Delta.�

Song will continue to fly as a separate brand and customers will be able to book flights on Song until May 2006. The aircraft will then be scheduled on high-demand routes throughout the Delta network during the transition, replacing wide-body aircraft that will be re-deployed from domestic to international destinations as part of the largest international expansion in Delta’s history. Through the end of 2006, Delta will reconfigure the Song fleet into the new two-class, long-haul standard and introduce them on transcontinental routes. In all, more than 100 aircraft will be outfitted for Song service, giving customers access to the largest fleet of video-on-demand aircraft in the U.S.

To maximize the value of Song’s success at Delta, Joanne Smith, currently president of Song, has been named vice president of Consumer Marketing for Delta, effective immediately.

“Joanne Smith brings the energy and marketing expertise to our consumer marketing team that we need to continue improving the customer experience on Delta,� said Paul Matsen, Delta’s Chief Marketing Officer. “Her leadership will ensure the efficiencies, service enhancements and innovations of Song are integrated into Delta’s ongoing transformation.�

Delta Air Lines is the world’s second-largest airline in terms of passengers carried and the leading U.S. carrier across the Atlantic, offering daily flights to 487 destinations in 87 countries on Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle, the Delta Connection carriers and its worldwide partners. Delta's marketing alliances allow customers to earn and redeem frequent flier miles on more than 14,000 flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes and check flight status at delta.com.

I guess American is my favorite because I have all my miles there. On international flights they give you tvs which is nice.

I do like jetblue, but it drops you off in ft. lauderdale which sucks ass. Supposedly MIA is trying to get jetblue, which would crush FLL.

I HATE southwest airlines. They dont go anywhere and you are treated like cattle when you are hearded into the plane.

I like Southwest. I like the way the seating works it can work out really nicely or sh*tty depending on your luck.

Every time I fly American it takes there's alwyas a problem getting to the gate at the city we land in. They alwasy have some probelm and have to sit on the ground for 10-15 minutes.

Best: the cheapest :mischief lol...but most of the time, I ride AA...

I've taken Delta and Continental before with no problems :)

My girlfriend has told me about this airline called 'Frontier' she says it was the best!!

My worst is America West :plain those bastards lost out luggage, plus the pilots were crappy...BOTH times!

I do like jetblue, but it drops you off in ft. lauderdale which sucks ass. Supposedly MIA is trying to get jetblue, which would crush FLL.

The Marlins Ballpark has better odds of happening right now than JetBlue being introduced to MIA. The airport has been left waiting at the gate by JetBlue, so to speak.

They fly into RSW (SWFLA Int'l Airport) and the new terminal they built is perfect with JetBlue/Frontier/Southwest having their own wing even with seperate security. I really hope that, with the addition $25M being spent on RSW now, JetBlue will make RSW a minor hub or focus city. Having flights to JetBlue destinations in the Caribbean and out West from RSW non-stop would be great.

In Newark, JetBlue mooches off the Continental terminal (one of the many, EWR should be Continental-Liberty Int'l Airport) and all JetBlue riders are considered First Class by the other airlines. :hat

I HATE southwest airlines. They dont go anywhere and you are treated like cattle when you are hearded into the plane.

I like Southwest. I like the way the seating works it can work out really nicely or sh*tty depending on your luck.

Looks like Southwest may be going international and getting rid of the cattle herding boarding system.

Southwest Airlines Weighs Assigning Seats

May 17, 2006, 6:08PM

By DAVID KOENIG AP Business Writer

? 2006 The Associated Press

DALLAS ? The days of first-come, first-served seating on Southwest Airlines Co. planes could be nearing an end.

The airline is overhauling its computerized-reservation system to add the ability to assign seats and make international flights. Officials say neither change is for sure.

The earliest Southwest could switch to assigned seating, used by every other major U.S. carrier, is 2008, Chief Executive Gary Kelly said Wednesday. The system won't be able to handle the tax and customs information required for international travel until the following year, he said.

In some ways, Southwest has been on the cutting edge of technology in the airline industry. It built a successful Web site _ now accounting for more than half of Southwest's ticket sales _ long before its rivals.

But in other ways, the Dallas-based carrier has clung to vestiges of its 1970s origins. Only in the last few years did Southwest finally get rid of reusable plastic boarding passes in favor of paper ones that carry information about each passenger.

It is that background that makes consideration of assigned seating notable. Southwest officials have openly considered the idea for years, but the $5 million upgrade of the reservations system will for the first time make it possible.

Kelly said at the company's annual shareholder meeting that Southwest began plans to add the capability of assigned seating in late 2004. Work on the reservation system won't be done until late next year, Kelly said.

Kelly said some passengers prefer assigned seating and others prefer "open seating," the carrier's preferred term for the free-for-all in which customers board in three groups.

Passengers who print out a boarding pass early can find a window or aisle seat. Latecomers are relegated to Group C. Boarding after everyone else, they must schlep their carry-on bags down the aisle while looking for the best remaining middle seats.

While other carriers moved to assigned seating, Southwest has long resisted the idea. Officials have said it could slow down the boarding process _ potentially delaying flights.

Chief Financial Officer Laura Wright said the company must determine how switching to assigned seats would affect operations and costs.

"The only way we would do it is if we could keep our low-cost model intact," she said. "We would want it to be cost-neutral."

A Southwest spokeswoman said the airline has never surveyed customers on their preference. Company officials acknowledge only that there are those with strong feelings on both sides.

Until recently, some customers would show up hours early to get in Group A and win a prized seat. Southwest began allowing check-in at airport kiosks or on home computers on the day of the flight.

It now extends that period to 24 hours before the departure time, "so you don't have to wake up at midnight" to print a boarding pass, Kelly joked.

I haven't flown anyone but Southwest for many, many years, but I'm flying Delta and American when I come down to Miami this weekend. I had a previous history with being extremely late on Delta, so this should be interesting, as I'm already scheduled to be getting in at 12:40 am.