last nights crowd

btnhmarlins

Those tense moments showed the divide of the fans, who cheered for both clubs. Catcher Matt Treanor, pleased to see the large crowd, expressed disappointment that big followings aren't regularly attending Marlins' games.

"I think this is absolutely terrible," Treanor said. "We should have these crowds to watch this exciting team every single game. Be it a Friday night, Saturday night or Wednesday day game. We're an exciting team. Period."

man even treanor notices stuff like that and he is absolutly right. man to see that kind of crowd last night must have been fun for the players even though about half were sox fans. i just dont get why people hate this team so much. yeah ok we had the stupid firesales but dont people realize that its going to work out with all the great talent that we got that is already performing two years in advance!!!!!!

Well, we cant do anything about the Sox fans coming to the games. They go to every away game. We need to give the fans time to warm up to this team. People cant say one day "Oh, I want to be a Marlins fan today" it doesnt happen like that. Once we get a stadium going things will start to get better.

Treanor is right about that but there is nothing WE can do about it. Yea I wonder too why people dont go to many games but that is something I cant change so I kinda put that in the back of my mind.

The real truth, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, is fans NEVER went to games- Except when we were in the heat of the playoffs and if a name (Randy Johnson, Bonds, Sosa, etc...) would be at the game.

It's not like there was 15-20k at home games last year or even during the WS year. Only when things got serious did fans come out to support the team.

Guest CHRISTYTOD

Treanor should focus more on how to swing the bat than worrying about who is or isn't in the stands. What a liability in the lineup.

:o

sox fans went in smiling

The smiling subsided quickly.

Joe Giradi had a wonderfully compelling comment last night that one of the sports radio stations used this morning.

(It went something like this) "Our fans were loud last night. They cheered their hearts out. Every time the Red Sox fans started to cheer, our fans cheered louder. And the team heard it."

Even Greg Cote had to admit it in today's column...

"The kinetic evening ended with Red Sox fans standing to cheer pinch-hitter David Ortiz (''Papi!'') with two out in the ninth inning -- then Marlins fans overriding with a final, swooning ovation as the slugger's deep shot to right died in Jeremy Hermida's mitt on the warning track."

Last night brought out a new breed of Marlins fans who showed by their passion they aren't going to sit back and politely let any team (or their fans) come in here and make our field "their" house. This is our house. If you live in South Florida and you root for another team, be forewarned, when you come to our house, you're a guest in our house, and behave accordingly.

Or better yet, become a Marlin fan.

But then again, as The Don knows so well, you had to be there.

Treanor should focus more on how to swing the bat than worrying about who is or isn't in the stands. What a liability in the lineup.

:o

yeah true but DTrain likes having Treanor as his catcher

i think they should bat Willis 8th when he starts

anyways, about the crowd...these 3 games are an opportunity to get some of those Red Sox fans, nearly all of whom live in Miami, to start getting interested in going to more Marlins games. This is a chance to show those fans that the Marlins are a fun team to watch

Last night in seventh, with Willis over 120 pitches and Crisp clearly his last batter and one, then two strikes and two outs, I and some other Marlins fans stood for the last strike and out.

Behind six or seven rows were a group of Red Sox fans screaming "Sit down, sit down..." but instead of acquiescing, a terrific thing happened. More Marlins fans stood up, cheering loudly, followed by more cries to "sit down.." followed by more Marlins fans standing up until virtually every Marlin fan in the section were standing, hollering and cheering Willis on.

Strike three. Crisp stands silent and so did the Red Sox fans.

I felt at the moment Marlin fandom had been reborn.

Win or lose tonight I hope to see more of the same.

The real truth, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, is fans NEVER went to games- Except when we were in the heat of the playoffs and if a name (Randy Johnson, Bonds, Sosa, etc...) would be at the game.

It's not like there was 15-20k at home games last year or even during the WS year. Only when things got serious did fans come out to support the team.

The real truth is fans DID go to games, unless you started being a marlins fan in 98. Prior to that, spin it any way but the worst year thru 97 was just under 30,000 average. Then you know what happened. There are bad excuses and there are valid reasons-but all of our back and forth bantering won't change what has happened.

Guest Fritz

A lot of it has to do with the fact that everyone in Miami that can afford to go to baseball games was raised in places not named Miami, FL so they were fans of whatever team was the bunch of local yokels where they're from. At some point, a fanbase will be built, but it's gonna have to be people from the 18-25 age group that grew up with the team to get this team to have credible attendance numbers and people in this age group still can't afford to attend games on a regular basis, so I think we'll see a major shift in 5-7 years as this age group reaches financial independence.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that everyone in Miami that can afford to go to baseball games was raised in places not named Miami, FL so they were fans of whatever team was the bunch of local yokels where they're from. At some point, a fanbase will be built, but it's gonna have to be people from the 18-25 age group that grew up with the team to get this team to have credible attendance numbers and people in this age group still can't afford to attend games on a regular basis, so I think we'll see a major shift in 5-7 years as this age group reaches financial independence.

An excellent point and one that isn't discussed enough.

Well, we cant do anything about the Sox fans coming to the games. They go to every away game. We need to give the fans time to warm up to this team. People cant say one day "Oh, I want to be a Marlins fan today" it doesnt happen like that. Once we get a stadium going things will start to get better.

Treanor is right about that but there is nothing WE can do about it. Yea I wonder too why people dont go to many games but that is something I cant change so I kinda put that in the back of my mind.

Holly, since a majority of the "red sox" fans last night and this weekend live here, then they do not go to every away game. They go to games in their current home town and to no other games, yet they will be the ones who call radio stations about how the S. Florida sports fan sucks. Fact is, they ARE the S. Florida sports fan, from somewhere else who wants professional sports in their adopted town but do nothing to support it other than criticize themselves and people like them. But it is the same in their communities, they don't want to raise taxes for better schools down here because, "My kids don't go to school here, why should I care about the education system in Florida, just give me police protection and malls and leave me be-caring about my new hometown is not a priority, I am from somewhere else". Yet they will complain about the roads, the schools, and all sorts of other ills.

I guess you sense my frustration being a lifelong resident, but that is the way it is. They criticise the people here, yet for some strange absurd reason they take some sort of credit for attendance in their hometown for other people who buy tickets, BECAUSE THEY DO NOT support their team, other than wear the hats and go to ale house to watch their team. But they live here and do not buy tickets for anything except the movies. So who do they really "support" in a financial sense? Given that logic, Marlin TV ratings are high, so therefore our fans support the team.

I also agree that the new stadium will help, it will have a better atmosphere and even 15- 20,000 will not seem empty like it does in Dolphin Stadium.

Well, I ranted, but not at you. I agree with your post and everyone on this board likes you, you are always positive and upbeat-and me too. Let the red sox come out again and watch the baby Fish beat them again.

Holly, since a majority of the "red sox" fans last night and this weekend live here, then they do not go to every away game.

Oh no. I meant where ever the Red Sox are fans always show up to the games. :thumbup

i was telling all of the red sox fans to "kiss my asss" and the "Red Sox suck" and i had a guy telling me that i had "balls of brass" cause some sox fans wanted to shoot me. but u know what it felt great and it got a lot of marlins fans around me excited about our team and i hope that they see the light

my friend also told me i was on tv

Fritz you got it. So Fla is full on Non-South Floridians!!!