All-Star treat moves to San Francisco

Fish4Life

All-Star treat moves to San Francisco

Bay Area begins prepping for 2007 game by unveiling logo

SAN FRANCISCO -- After enjoying the view at Pittsburgh's PNC Park this past week, Major League Baseball's players, coaches, executives and fans will leave their hearts in the City by the Bay next July, when San Francisco hosts the 2007 All-Star Game at AT&T Park.

The festivities and the pomp and circumstance of the 2006 All-Star Game may be over in Pittsburgh, but Midsummer Classic fever is already beginning to hit San Francisco like a fast-moving patch of fog on a Bay Area morning.

Major League Baseball, the San Francisco Giants and the city of San Francisco unveiled the logo for the 2007 All-Star Game at AT&T Park on Friday morning, just days after Ryan Howard's long balls in the CENTURY 21 Home Run Derby took dips in the Allegheny River and Michael Young's game-winning triple gave the American League home-field advantage in this year's World Series.

San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsome joined Major League Baseball's president and chief operating officer Bob DuPuy for a press conference Friday at China Basin Park, located behind AT&T Park's McCovey Cove. They unveiled the logo along with Giants president and managing general partner Peter Magowan and Giants executive vice president and chief operating officer Admin Baer.

The unveiling of the logo signifies the official launching of a countdown to next year's All-Star Game to be held on July 10, 2007.

The logo will be placed, banner-style, in an area near the right-field seating area at AT&T Park. A regatta of sailboats that feature the logo and its supporting icons also was slated to be on hand in McCovey Cove on Friday.

The logo was created by award-winning Northern California artist Michael Schwab. On the bottom half of Schwab's creation are the words "All-Star Game 2007" placed on an orange background. Another image suspended on top of the background is that of a batted baseball that is landing in the water of McCovey Cove, the signature feature of AT&T Park.

The All-Star Game will be the first at AT&T Park, and the first in San Francisco since 1984, when it was held further south at the Giants' former stadium by the bay, Candlestick Park. The Giants also hosted the All-Star Game there in 1961.

While game-time temperatures can be quite chilly every now and then at AT&T Park (even during the summer), one thing the new ballpark doesn't get as much of as "The Stick" did is wind. The National League won the 1961 game, but nearly lost when a large and legendary gust of wind caused Giants pitcher Stu Miller to sway ever so slightly on the mound. He was called for a balk, and an American League run scored to tie the game and force extra innings.

While it makes for a funny story now, the Giants will hope warm and beautiful weather prevents them from seeing anything like that this time next year.

The 2007 All-Star Game will be the 78th held by Major League Baseball.

I thought MLB switched between AL/NL parks each year? This would make 2 straight NL Parks.... Oh well San Fran deserves it, they have an amazing PARK!

yeah somethings not right there...maybe theyre gonna make the NL the home team every year until someone finally is able to win it for them...

ah well, I cant wait to see Girardi managing the NL squad next year in San Fran, I'm looking forward to it :shifty

nah...they used to alternate it between leagues when MLB wasnt run by idiots...now its whoever has a relatively new park...

Guest Juanky

The question is, does it continue being NL rules?

It does make a bit of sense though to have a run with a couple NL hosted All Star Games in a row from time to time, since there are 16 NL teams and 14 AL teams.

BTW, the logo is top class.

The question is, does it continue being NL rules?

It does make a bit of sense though to have a run with a couple NL hosted All Star Games in a row from time to time, since there are 16 NL teams and 14 AL teams.

BTW, the logo is top class.

Doesn't home park (AL/NL) always decide?

I'm gonna guess that 2008 and 2009 will be in AL parks...but you never know.

Selig has said that they will resume the AL/NL swap again in 2008.

Anaheim, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, and Toronto are contenders. Possibly New York.

lol, there is no way in hell Tampa gets the ASG for as long as they're playing in Tropicana Field.

Anaheim (1989)

Tampa Bay (Never)

Toronto (1991)

Minnesota (1985)

The only AL teams that have had a longer wait are Kansas City (1973) New York (1977), and Oakland (1987).

Bud has stated that Kansas City will get a game between 2010-2014.

I would say it's all but a done deal that Anaheim would get it. Cardinals in 2009 and Minnesota's new park in 2010.

I don't see why Toronto should get one either. They had one in 1991 I think, which is pretty recent.

15 years ago =! recent.

Yes, considering that there are 30 major league teams and some have been waiting much longer. Also, during that 15 year span, some of the teams have built nice new stadiums and the Blue Jays still play in SkyDome.

Seriously, why should two All Star games be played in the SkyDome within a 15 year span? It's one of the uggliest parks in the game.

Looks can be deceiving from outside my friend... Inside is what counts

Those are luxury boxes. What's your point?

I've been to a game there. Sitting in a seat is no different than going to RFK stadium.

Well yea of course those are luxury boxes, but you think the "big wigs" of MLB are going to sit in just a seat, of course not they are going to sit in style... As you've seen this game isnt just for the Fans.... This is for all the big boys of the MLB to get cash!