Reggie Abercrombie Thread

Let me start off by saying that I like Reggie. I root for the guy, I want him to do well. What I am not comfortable with, however is automatically having Reggie as our starting centerfielder for the rest of the year without giving borchard or even ross a fair shake.

Reggie has been given every benefit of the doubt but Borchard has only seen sporadic playing time, especially since the return of hermida. Is Borchard the answer? Probably not, but he may prove to be a better fourth outfielder than reggie. If this season is meant to evaluate then lets evaluate ALL of our talent. I think we all have a pretty good idea of what reggie can do, now lets give borchard a month as our starting right fielder and move hermida to center. Do we lose some defense? sure, but we certianly dont lose anything with the bat and we might just gain more offense than we would expect.

All the recent winning has been great and I'm pumped but let's not forget this season is an experiment and I dont think borchard is getting a fair shake. Basically, Reggie has done nothing to prove to me that he deserves to be playing everyday over borchard. let's give borchard a shot and see what he can turn out in a month. He may turn out to be a better fourth outfielder than reggie, but we'll never know if he doesn't get the same kind of playing time reggie has gotten for the first two months of this season

*waits for that crazy Abercrombie fanatic to yell at me and remind me about reggie's 493 ft. blast in cinnci*

I'm not an Abercrombie fanatic, I dont think he's good enough to start for an MLB team.

But, for that matter, neither are Borchard or Ross.

So, really, our CF situation sucks. But you go with the kid who has the most potential, and that is Abercrombie.

My issue with Abercrombie is that every time I write him off, he shows a flash of potential and makes me rethink whether my criticism is fair. He is young and has potential, and has improved his play since opening day.

The side of me that has thrown in the towel this season says let him stay. We have nobody else who is better, and we might as well let him get as much experience as possible so that we can make a determination at the end of the year as to whether he's worth the effort.

The side of me that likes to watch competitive baseball - particularly during our great play as of late - wants Abercrombie on the first plane to AAA, with Borchard playing RF and Hermida playing CF.

As of now, I say end the experiment. Our team is starting to come together, and I want to put our players in the best position to win - every game. Abercrombie looks completely overmatched against good pitching, and his defense has been mediocre at best. I think Borchard is a more consistent offensive player (with half the at-bats as Abercrombie), and I'd like to get a better look at Ross. Sending Abercrombie down will not end his baseball career. Just like Vargas, Reed, Aguila, etc., he needs some more seasoning and experience, and a stint at AAA will help him develop, while allowing the Marlins to field a more competitive team.

I like Reggie but at this moment he hasnt show anything wonderful to us. Yea, he has power and speed but how often do we see that power? Batting Practice? Minus that homer in Cinci what has he really done? Maybe a few good games here and there but then thats it. He has gotten a lot better since the first month but I don't really see any improvement over the past month. Reggie has it all but he hasnt shown anything to us yet.

Borch and Ross might not be the answer but they deserve a shot. Borchard has looked solid at the plate recently. He is not the best but I think he will really help us.

Reggie's last 10 games:

37- AB's

3-Runs

7- Hits

0-Homers

2-RBI's

0- Walks

15-K's

.189- Average.

Not good at all. He K's about 40% of the time.

Borchard's last 10 games

15- AB's

6-Runs

8-Hits

2-Homers

5- RBI's

5- Walks

2-K's

.533 Average. :mischief2

This pretty much says it all :thumbup

Reggie's last 10 games:

37- AB's

3-Runs

7- Hits

0-Homers

2-RBI's

0- Walks

15-K's

.189- Average.

Borchard's last 10 games

15- AB's

6-Runs

8-Hits

2-Homers

5- RBI's

5- Walks

2-K's

10 games says it all????

My ass.

Abercrombie has been mediocre defensively?(I'm honestly asking)

With a hip flexor, your plan doesnt make much sense, as that would kill Hermida.

From memory, he has made several ill-advised throws, including one last night that cost us a run, and has misplayed several balls off the wall in Dolphins Stadium.

In his defense, I do remember one spectacular throw he made to nail a runner down at the plate (who was really safe but I'll take it), but when you hit .230 and strike out half the time, your defense should be solid and consistent.

With respect to his range, I honestly couldn't tell you if he was doing well, other than to say he seems to be around a lot of flyballs. I'm sure his speed gives him above-average range.

His defense might not be horrible, but it is a stretch to say his defense is good/great.

Reggie's last 10 games:

37- AB's

3-Runs

7- Hits

0-Homers

2-RBI's

0- Walks

15-K's

.189- Average.

Borchard's last 10 games

15- AB's

6-Runs

8-Hits

2-Homers

5- RBI's

5- Walks

2-K's

10 games says it all????

My ass.

:lol

Reggie's last 10 games:

37- AB's

3-Runs

7- Hits

0-Homers

2-RBI's

0- Walks

15-K's

.189- Average.

Borchard's last 10 games

15- AB's

6-Runs

8-Hits

2-Homers

5- RBI's

5- Walks

2-K's

10 games says it all????

My ass.

What has Reggie done to show us he is a ML player?

Reggie's last 10 games:

37- AB's

3-Runs

7- Hits

0-Homers

2-RBI's

0- Walks

15-K's

.189- Average.

Borchard's last 10 games

15- AB's

6-Runs

8-Hits

2-Homers

5- RBI's

5- Walks

2-K's

10 games says it all????

My ass.

What has Borchard? Holly go look at Borchard's career stats.

TEAM POS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB OBP SLG AVG

1. R Abercrombie FLA OF 47 160 21 37 10 1 3 14 58 12 56 3 .287 .363 .231

2. J Borchard FLA OF 28 78 14 20 0 0 4 14 32 12 15 0 .363 .410 .256

hermidarules why do you hate joe and don't say he doesnt belong in the bigs and he has no talent because he is doing pretty good look at the numbers....and mit...nm dont want to get you started again

I'll tell you what I told Holly.

Go look at his career stats.

Not to mention Reggie is a CF and Borchard is a COF and you can live with Reggie's production (or lack there of) in CF, then you can with Borchard's in right.

A tiny sample size of Borchard, doesn't make him suck any less.

Reggie's last 10 games:

37- AB's

3-Runs

7- Hits

0-Homers

2-RBI's

0- Walks

15-K's

.189- Average.

Borchard's last 10 games

15- AB's

6-Runs

8-Hits

2-Homers

5- RBI's

5- Walks

2-K's

10 games says it all????

My ass.

Does Borchard K every other AB? Does Joe swing at pitches 3 zip codes away and then stare at 3 pitches right down the middle? IMO Reggie just doesnt look like a ML player. You may not agree but thats what I think.

Right now Borch has a better average... pretty much the same RBI's/Homers as Reggie but Borch has done this in almost half the AB's as Reggie. :whistle

Because if you compare Borchard using his last 10 games only to what he has done for his career...you'd get the picture.

Abercrombie may or may not be better, but he has way more potential and Borchard has barely showed signs of being able to hold down a 4th OF job.

I might of said he doesnt belong in MLB. It might be debatable. But one things for sure, he should in no way shape or form be starting, and if he is the best option available whatever team he's on is in very bad shape.

Reggie's last 10 games:

37- AB's

3-Runs

7- Hits

0-Homers

2-RBI's

0- Walks

15-K's

.189- Average.

Borchard's last 10 games

15- AB's

6-Runs

8-Hits

2-Homers

5- RBI's

5- Walks

2-K's

10 games says it all????

My ass.

Does Borchard K every other AB? Does Joe swing at pitches 3 zip codes away and then stare at 3 pitches right down the middle? IMO Reggie just doesnt look like a ML player. You may not agree but thats what I think.

Right now Borch has a better average... pretty much the same RBI's/Homers as Reggie but Borch has done this in almost half the AB's as Reggie. :whistle

The thing is Borchard isnt going to play cf and Hermida shouldnt be used in cf often because he'll basically pull up lame every other week.... :confused