Beware the Blue Jays

Guest FishFanInPA

Guest FishFanInPA

I find it funny that a lot of my Yankee and Red Sox friends and colleagues spend all their time worrying about each other yet the Blue Jays just hang around.....When you've got Roy Halladay who should win every 5 days and AJ Burnett who can be dominant and BJ Ryan whose still got a sub 1.00 era...you have to be taken seriously.....Plus they have a winning record against Boston and will be tied i believe if they win tonight with the Yankees......

Interesting you mentioned it. I'm actually up in Toronto for a few weeks on business and am catching three of the four games between the Jays and Yankees. I went tonight and saw Burnett pitch - interestingly in all the time he was with Florida, I never got to see him pitch (having to always catch the team on the road). What a pitcher he is when healthy. He only gave up the HR to A-Rod tonight but otherwise was unhittable. That combined with their monster offense could make a run. The only hole in their lineup is in the #9 position with MacDonald at SS.

On their stadium, it's my favorite dome out there. They opened the roof just before the game started, with the CN Tower peaking through the opening and while other stadiums are newer, it's still a landmark stadium. Good sightlines and lots of quirks and it feels like you're outside because the three pieces fold under one another.

Hopefully will be writing about another Jays win tomorrow so I can give the Yankee fans here some.

Interesting you mentioned it. I'm actually up in Toronto for a few weeks on business and am catching three of the four games between the Jays and Yankees. I went tonight and saw Burnett pitch - interestingly in all the time he was with Florida, I never got to see him pitch (having to always catch the team on the road). What a pitcher he is when healthy. He only gave up the HR to A-Rod tonight but otherwise was unhittable. That combined with their monster offense could make a run. The only hole in their lineup is in the #9 position with MacDonald at SS.

On their stadium, it's my favorite dome out there. They opened the roof just before the game started, with the CN Tower peaking through the opening and while other stadiums are newer, it's still a landmark stadium. Good sightlines and lots of quirks and it feels like you're outside because the three pieces fold under one another.

Hopefully will be writing about another Jays win tomorrow so I can give the Yankee fans here some.

i love rogers centre i was there a couple of weeks ago to catch a game..i like the PA announcers voice and BJ Ryan's intro..pretty kool.....................

imagine that lineup if they pickup Lugo from the Rays? wow

Thats all they need, a speedster at the top of the line up. Cat and RJ can leadoff and have great BA's but don't have the speed to change a pitcher's game plan. I think thats all that team needs to put together a chain of blowout games. I like how the Jays and Twins are coming out of no where to to sneak up on their leaders. I hope the Twins and the Jays win their divisions even though thats a tough chance of that happening

Guest FishFanInPA

Wells is a monster, Halladay is a true ace. Should be a playoff team, possible division winner.

Not this year. Still a season away.

typical elitist Red Sox/Yankees attitude....all of you are the same.....we're the only two around and no one else can touch us.

Wells is a monster, Halladay is a true ace. Should be a playoff team, possible division winner.

Not this year. Still a season away.

typical elitist Red Sox/Yankees attitude....all of you are the same.....we're the only two around and no one else can touch us.

No, he's just being realistic. The Blue Jays do not have the talent to overcome both the Yankees and Red Sox this year.

They need two more starters/to keep Burnett healthy.

Guest FishFanInPA

they also can't spend the per capita of small countries like the Red Sox and Yankees too.....

All i'll say is they have a winning record against Boston and are .500 against the Yankees....definately in the wild card and division races.

they also can't spend the per capita of small countries like the Red Sox and Yankees too.....

I'm sorry, do you want to update me as to what relevance that has in this discussion? Or is that just the standard excuse you give when you get in a debate about the Yankees or Red Sox?

The Blue Jays do not have the pitching to defeat the Yankees and Red Sox over the course of 162 games. They are a fun team to watch, though.

All i'll say is they have a winning record against Boston and are .500 against the Yankees....definately in the wild card and division races.

Yeah, they only signed the top free agent closer and starting pitcher in the off-season. :rolleyes:

For as much of a chance you say they have (and of course they do have a chance) it doesn't look good for them considering they are still third and 6 games back of first in the lost collumn after the Sox and Yanks have underachieved greatly and have been banged up for 95+ games.

Typical anti-Sox/Yankees rhetoric....I have no idea why you posted such a jackass comment, 'typical elitist Red Sox/Yankees attitude....all of you are the same.....we're the only two around and no one else can touch us.' Who is thinking like that? I realize the Jays are a threat but the Sox are always going to be most concerned with the Yankees and vice versa....it's that whole you know 'rivalry' thing.

Guest FishFanInPA

I'm sorry, do you want to update me as to what relevance that has in this discussion? Or is that just the standard excuse you give when you get in a debate about the Yankees or Red Sox?

The Blue Jays do not have the pitching to defeat the Yankees and Red Sox over the course of 162 games. They are a fun team to watch, though.

Yeah, cause that rotation with Mussina, Wang, Johnson, Ponson and Jaret Wright is real scary.....Mussina and Wang are consistent.....the other three you have no idea what your gonna get....

I'll take AJ, Halladay and Lilly over the Yankee top 3 anyday.

Guest FishFanInPA

all i said was it's a 3 team race in the AL East and the Jays have proved it this series and all season long against the two teams ahead of them....

Halladay: 12-2, 3.08 ERA

Lilly: 9-8, 3.89 ERA

Burnett: 2-3, 4.17 ERA

Ryan: 1-0, 1.13 ERA, 24 SV, 64 K

Mussina: 11-3, 3.39 ERA

Wang: 11-4, 4.01 ERA

Johnson: 10-8, 4.88 ERA

Rivera: 4-5, 2.06 ERA, 23 SV, 38 K

Plus, the Jays have Gustavo Chacin coming back from the DL pretty soon. I'd say they have the pitching.

Plus, the Jays have Gustavo Chacin coming back from the DL pretty soon. I'd say they have the pitching.

When a team can only use four pitchers the remainder of the season, let me know!

The Blue Jays staff is not going to get them to the playoffs. Their bullpen is atrocious outside of BJ Ryan.

Scott Downs: 46 IP 4.89 ERA

Jeremy Accardo: 40 IP 4.91 ERA

Scott Schoeneweis: 32 IP 5.97 ERA

Justin Speier: 38 IP 3.32 ERA (Horrible peripherals though, meaning he's more lucky than good)

Brian Tallet: 29 IP 4.91

Mike Myers: 18 IP 1.5 ERA

Kyle Farnsworth: 44 IP 4.06 ERA

Scott Proctor: 61 IP 4.13 ERA

Ron Villone: 48 IP 2.05 ERA

Octavio Dotel: Will be back after 2 more rehab outings

So what we've proved here is, despite having comprable rotations, the Yankees bullpen is so far superior (having 5 relievers better than the Blue Jays best) that it makes the argument silly. Not to mention the fact that come August 1 the Yankees will also have the superior lineup.

It's been a fun ride Blue Jay fans, but not this year. Add another starter and 2 relievers and you'll be gold next year. Thinking the Blue Jays are going to pass the Sox/Yankees this year is wishful thinking at best.

When a team can only use four pitchers the remainder of the season, let me know!

I was merely pointing out the "aces". Even if the Yankee pen is better, personally, I'd rather have a better rotation that can go deeper into a game before handing it over to the pen. Toronto starting pitching has been at the same level and at times a lot better than Yankee starting pitching.

It's been a fun ride Blue Jay fans, but not this year. Add another starter and 2 relievers and you'll be gold next year. Thinking the Blue Jays are going to pass the Sox/Yankees this year is wishful thinking at best.

When the season ends before the trade deadline in July, let me know! :thumbup

But since you like to make predictions this early into the second half, I'll give you mine: The Blue Jays will make the playoffs.

I was merely pointing out the "aces". Even if the Yankee pen is better, personally, I'd rather have a better rotation that can go deeper into a game before handing it over to the pen. Toronto starting pitching has been at the same level and at times a lot better than Yankee starting pitching.

But since you like to make predictions this early into the second half, I'll give you mine: The Blue Jays will make the playoffs.

Want to make a signature bet on it?

If they make the playoffs Ill put anything you want in my sig, if they don't make the playoffs you have to put anything I want in yours.

Just for fun.

Guest FishFanInPA

Did you just say that the Yankees pen is far superior?!?!?! LMAO.....We'll see how confident you are in that pen when it comes September and Rivera keeps gettin stretched....

By the way, how'd that superior pitching/pen do in this past series??? Oh and the Jays have the highest batting average in the league.

Want to make a signature bet on it?

If they make the playoffs Ill put anything you want in my sig, if they don't make the playoffs you have to put anything I want in yours.

Just for fun.

Based on today's 13-5 ownage, I'll take you up on the bet. The Jays make the playoffs no matter if they win the division or not.

Guest FishFanInPA

yeah, let's remember they aren't too far out of the wild card because the closer they get to New York, the closer they get to the wild card as well.