? Balloting begins for Hank Aaron Award

? Williams' three RBIs lead Yanks past Jays

? Guillen happy to complete cycle

? Utley singles in first, hit streak at 33

? Twins' Liriano scratched from start

? More MLB Headlines

ADVERTISEMENT

print this page | e-mail this page

A couple of times this season, the Mets frustrated the Marlins with late-inning heroics.

On Tuesday night, Florida gained a bit of redemption.

Capped by Josh Willingham's two-run walk-off homer off Billy Wagner in the ninth inning, the Marlins pulled out their second straight victory.

For the most part, the Mets have frustrated the Marlins this season. On July 9 at Shea Stadium, David Wright hit a three-run homer in the eighth inning to help New York rally to victory.

Willingham's homer started off the six-game homestand on a winning note. Now, the Marlins are situated to take the three-game set with the Mets. And they send a hot pitcher to the mound on Wednesday.

Ricky Nolasco has shown steady improvement in his rookie season.

Before the All-Star break, the Mets handed Nolasco a humbling loss. The right-hander allowed nine runs in 1 2/3 innings on July 8 at Shea Stadium.

What that defeat did was get Nolasco to refocus on the importance of first-pitch strikes. Since then, the 23-year-old has won three straight starts, and he has a chance to become the Marlins' first 10-game winner on the season. Scott Olsen and Josh Johnson also have nine.

In his last start, Nolasco was masterful against the Phillies, tossing 7 1/3 shutout innings at Philadelphia, allowing one hit. A key for him that day was mixing in more changeups to go along with a fastball and curveball. The change of pace kept the Phillies off stride.

The Mets are starting veteran Steve Trachsel, who also has a chance to win his 10th game.

Marlins catcher Matt Treanor, who normally works with Olsen, right now is day-to-day with a sore left shoulder. It's the same shoulder he had surgery on after last season.

Pitching matchup

NYM: RHP Steve Trachsel (9-5, 5.14)

By the time Trachsel makes his start, he will have gone eight days without pitching. He last started July 24 against the Cubs. The game against Chicago wasn't pretty; he allowed eight runs and 10 hits -- three home runs included -- in 4 2/3 innings, suffering his first loss in 12 starts. Trachsel defeated the Marlins in his first start of the season, on April 7, allowing one run in six innings.

FLA: RHP Ricky Nolasco (9-6, 3.94)

Nolasco squares off against the team that gave him his last poor outing. On July 8, the Mets handed Nolasco his roughest start as a big leaguer -- nine earned runs in 1 2/3 innings. Since the break, the 23-year-old is 3-0 with an ERA of 0.41. Nolasco limited the Phillies to one hit in 7 1/3 scoreless innings, and was carrying a no-hitter for 6 2/3 innings.

Player to watch

Hanley Ramirez connected on his 10th home run Tuesday, marking him the third shortstop in Marlins history to have double-digit homers in a season. Alex Gonzalez did it three times, and Kurt Abbott once. Gonzalez had 14 in 1999, 18 in 2003 and 23 in 2004. In 1995, Abbott belted 17.

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

? Gameday

? Official game notes

On television

? FSN

On radio

? 560 WQAM, 1140 WQBA(Espa?ol)

Up next

? Thursday: Mets (RHP Pedro Martinez, 8-4, 3.59) at Marlins (LHP Dontrelle Willis, 6-8, 4.27), 7:05 p.m. ET

? Friday: Dodgers (RHP Derek Lowe, 8-7, 4.29) at Marlins (RHP Anibal Sanchez, 4-1, 4.46), 7:35 p.m. ET

? Saturday: Dodgers (RHP Chad Billingsley, 2-3, 3.93) at Marlins (RHP Josh Johnson, 9-5, 2.52), 6:05 p.m. ET

my prediction: Marlins 5 Mets 4

GO FISH

:lol @ ESPN.

I was just watching bottom line on ESPN and when they come to FLA it says; FLA: Beltran 5 homers in 3 days or something. :lol .. Did I read it wrong? Beltran is not a Marlin.

Okay I checked it twice and it does say; FLA: Beltran 5 homers in 3 days. :rolleyes:

Did Beinfest somehow pull a deal to get Beltran? :blink:

:lol @ ESPN.

I was just watching bottom line on ESPN and when they come to FLA it says; FLA: Beltran 5 homers in 3 days or something. :lol .. Did I read it wrong? Beltran is not a Marlin.

Okay I checked it twice and it does say; FLA: Beltran 5 homers in 3 days. :rolleyes:

Did Beinfest somehow pull a deal to get Beltran? :blink:

That.would.be.amazing.

anyone know the lineup for tonight?

No one knows the lineup yet but I guessing it'll be close to this:

CF Amezaga

2B Uggla

1B Jacobs

3B Cabrera

LF Willingham

RF Hermida

SS Ramirez

C Olivo