Speculation from the PBP....

What players weren't able to explain was why team officials, in the first hour after Sunday's game, began preparing the Dolphin Stadium interview room for a news conference.

But the mystery news conference never happened, and team officials refused to explain why Marlins logos and microphones had been set up.

When the Marlins have used the interview room in the past, it has been for a major announcement.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...rlins_0807.html

:mischief2

I'm not trying to rekindle any hope of acquiring Andruw Jones, but Dave Van Horne was quoted on this website (I didn't it hear myself) as saying waiver trades can't happen over the weekend and thus Monday would be the deadline.

As for the conjecture above, allow me to put forward a different scenario as to what was happening after the game yesterday.

Immediately upon ending the game, with Marlins leaving for their roadtrip and a football exhibition game upcoming, the stadium crew lowered the mound (you guys do know it's on pneumatic lifters I assume) and all the hub bub reported about things being moved, I suspect was the (stadium) management getting a headstart on preparations for the upcoming football game.

The picnic area is already gone, soon the clubhouses will be filled with football players instead of baseball players and so stuff needed to be packed up, setup and prepped with a crew already there instead of bringing them in for an extra day.

Perhaps there was a trade looming, god knows Loria was on the phone enough this weekend, fifteen or so time by my count Saturday, but I suspect it (the packing up of stuff, clearing out the media room) may have had more to do with the Dolphins moving in than anything else.

I'm not trying to rekindle any hope of acquiring Andruw Jones, but Dave Van Horne was quoted on this website (I didn't it hear myself) as saying waiver trades can't happen over the weekend and thus Monday would be the deadline.

As for the conjecture above, allow me to put forward a different scenario as to what was happening after the game yesterday.

Immediately upon ending the game, with Marlins leaving for their roadtrip and a football exhibition game upcoming, the stadium crew lowered the mound (you guys do know it's on pneumatic lifetrs I assume) and all the hub bub reported about things being moved, I suspect was the (stadium) management getting a headstart on preparations for the upcoming football game.

The picnic area is already gone, soon the clubhouses will be filled with football players instead of baseball players and so stuff needed to be packed up, setup and prepped with a crew already there instead of bringing them in for an extra day.

Perhaps there was a trade looming, god knows Loria was on the phone enough this weekend, fifteen or so time by my count Saturday, but I suspect it (the packing up of stuff, clearing out the media room) may have had more to do with the Dolphins moving in than anything else.

Well, according to the Sun Sentinel, Loria and Girardi did get into it about Loria yelling at the ump during the game. Appearntly, Joe asked him to stop and Loria said something back to Joe in front of the team. Hopefully that blows over and the two of them work it out. I would hate to lose Girardi after just one season.

But you are probably right about the stuff being moved. The Dolphins play a game on the 12th, and the Marlins will be out of town until the 18th. So i'm sure that was just normal preparations for the change over.

Sid on 790 was discussing the rumors on what went on. Some of those rumors said Loria snapped at the bad call that went against Tank and Joe told him to calm down then Loria stormed into the clubhouse after the game and they got into it. Sid said some rumors had Joe actually quitting before the situation calmed down.

Sid is going to keep talking about it so turn on 790 if you can.

Sid on 790 was discussing the rumors on what went on. Some of those rumors said Loria snapped at the bad call that went against Tank and Joe told him to calm down then Loria stormed into the clubhouse after the game and they got into it. Sid said some rumors had Joe actually quitting before the situation calmed down.

Wow.. I hope not. I really hope they settle things very soon.

Sid also said that some of these stories even had one or more players actually talking Girardi out of quitting. Mind you, it's all rumors he's reporting but it sounds pretty ugly. He did say that on his way out Loria gave a thumbs up to Joe's wife as if to indicate things were now OK.

Sid also said that some of these stories even had one or more players actually talking Girardi out of quitting. Mind you, it's all rumors he's reporting but it sounds pretty ugly. He did say that on his way out Loria gave a thumbs up to Joe's wife as if to indicate things were now OK.

Goodness... I really hope Joe didnt quit. Those thumbs up could be a good sign. This is really getting Uggla. Also we have to think about this... Many people say things they dont mean when they are mad. Could Joe just have said "I quit" just to give a message to Loria to calm down?

Mike Berardino was on with Hank Goldberg and speculated Girardi may have quit and then was rehired or changed his mind about quiting.

At the same time Tommy Hutton was on with Joe Rose and Tommy said he didn't know anything about the meeting.

Mike Berardino was on with Hank Goldberg and speculated Girardi may have quit and then was rehired or changed his mind about quiting.

At the same time Tommy Hutton was on with Joe Rose and Tommy said he didn't know anything about the meeting.

The Miami Herald also reported the room seemingly being prepared for an announcement. It's odd to say the least. At least we know the situation calmed down but I think there was just an awful lot of smoke here for there not to be at least a little bit of fire.

This is Mike Berardino.

It should be understood after three years of his jihad against Loria and company that his hatred of them is near pathological.

Pathological? Yes, as in seeing things that aren't really happening.

His piece is filled with supposition and half-truths.

Just one example. Regarding Girardi asking Loria to be less vocal of his disdain for the umpiring this weekend, he has two sources who are in direct conflict with one another. What would any good reporter (or columnist in this case) do if he or she had no corroboration? No publish it. Instead, Berardino leads with the most salacious, and then off-handedly mentions the other.

This isn't the National Enquirer, this is supposed to be (I'll leave to others to decide whether it is or not) a first rate daily newspaper operating in one of the country's top ten markets.

Berardino reports that Loria (and later David Samson) declined to answer his question(s). Probably true, but that's because they wouldn't speak to Mike Berardino about the time of day, nevermind anything baseball related so on the outs are the two sides.

Mike has never gotten over not getting the Jack McKeon/Torborg hiring/firing exclusive over the Herald and has vilified ownership in every possible way since then. No wonder they don't answer his questions.