August 8, 200620 yr After looking at the All time Web Gem thread, I thought it'd be fun to come up with the all time Marlins team. Basically, I want everyone to assemble the best 25 man roster made up of current and former Marlins. I'm only judging the players based on how they performed for Florida, and not their entire careers (although it could be fun to make a list that had guys like Mike Piazza, Trevor Hoffman and Andre Dawson on it). Here's my team : C - Ivan Rodriguez 1B - Carlos Delgado 2B - Luis Castillo SS - Edgar Renteria 3B - Mike Lowell LF - Miguel Cabrera CF - Juan Pierre RF - Gary Sheffield SP - Dontrelle Willis SP - Kevin Brown SP - Josh Beckett SP - Livan Hernandez SP - Ryan Dempster RP - Todd Jones RP - Armando Benitez RP - Antonio Alfonseca RP - Bryan Harvey RP - Braden Looper RP - Ugueth Urbina CL - Robb Nen Bench C - Charles Johnson OF - Moises Alou OF - Cliff Floyd 1B/OF - Jeff Conine IF - Lenny Harris (Just need to have this guy on the team) I'm sure I forgot some guys, but I think this team is pretty damn good.
August 8, 200620 yr CF Juan Pierre 2B Luis Castillo LF Miguel Cabrera C Pudge Rodriguez 3B Mike Lowell RF Mark Kotsay 1B Derrek Lee SS Gonzo P Dontrelle Willis Willis Beckett Penny Burnett Olsen?
August 8, 200620 yr OLSEN IS AN ALL TIME MARLIN!?! Hes been around for less than a year. Geezus. No Dempster, Leiter, Brown? How long have you been a Marlins fan? No offense.
August 8, 200620 yr OLSEN IS AN ALL TIME MARLIN!?! Hes been around for less than a year. Geezus. No Dempster, Leiter, Brown? How long have you been a Marlins fan? No offense. I just like him, he's just one of my favorite players, I know he doesn't deserve it. I've had season tickets since '93 (enough though I was 2 yr.'s old at the time). I've been a diehard fan probably since 2000. But I've been through the rough times in the franchise. I went to the games all the time, but that was just to eat ice cream.
August 8, 200620 yr My favorite team, assuming everyone performing the best they did as a Marlin, would be... 2B Castillo CF Kotsay 3B Cabrera LF Floyd RF Sheffield 1B Lee C Pudge SS Agon P Brown SP Brown SP Beckett SP Willis SP Dempster SP Leiter RP Nenn RP Jones RP Urbina RP Manteii RP Cook CL Benitez MI Renteria CI Lowell, Delgado OF Eric Owens, Juan Pierre C CJ So this would be my FAVORITE team, not necessarily the best....I had to sacrifice Harvey for my boy EBO....i love the way that dude played I'm surprised no one gave love to Kotsay before me..
August 8, 200620 yr LF-Cliff Floyd CF-Juan Pierre RF-Gary Sheffield 1B-Derek Lee 2B-Luis Castillo SS-Alex Gonzalez/Edgar Renteria 3B-Miguel Cabrera (sorry Mike) C-Pudge Rodriguez SP-Dontrelle Willis SP-Livan Hernandez SP-Kevin Brown SP-Pat Rapp (first one hitter in Fish history and held wins record for several years) SP-Al Leiter RP-Yorkis Perez RP-Luis Aquino RP-Jay Powell RP-Antonio Alfonseca RP-Dan Miceli (you know why) RP-Ice Man RP-Rob Nen CL-Bryan Harvey
August 8, 200620 yr ALL TIME BEST starting lineup composed of former Marlin greats... Put your diapers on, cause here we go..... CF- Scott Pose- one word: SPLENDID!!!! RF- Darrell Whitmore- Why did he quit professional baseball to become a stock clerk at Albertson's? Some things in this crazy life just don't make any sense. 3B- Kevin Orie- RAW POWER.... I once saw this guy hit a ball almost 400 feet!!! That is almost half the distance of the famed ocean liner "Titanic"!!!!! INCREDIBLE!!!! 1B- Orestes Destrade- His onfield prowess is only rivaled by his work on the acclaimed ESPN series, Baseball Tonight. With such expert analysis as "that team needs to score more runs than the other team in order to win", and "That pitcher needs to hold the other team to less runs than his team is able to score if he is going to win." I am sure that many pitchers emptied their bladders when they caught sight of his scary eyes beneath those thick bifocals. LF- Matias Carillo- before Air Bud, there was Matias Carillo. A capuchan primate from Mexico, Matias was the first non-human to step onto a baseball field and show us all that animals can do more than just taste good and help us determine whether or not a shampoo will cause a rash on our scalps if we wash our hair more than 30 times a day. 2B- Bret Barberie- Bret Barberie was such a baseball purist that he sacrificed millions of dollars and a hall of fame career to level the playing field by retiring at age 29. His move restored balance to the sport. SS- Alex Arias - hahahahaha :notworthy :notworthy C- Jorge Fabregas -HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy Even though the starting lineup consists of finely tuned baseball playing machines, they will occasionally need a rest. It's okay though, because the bench would be so great, because I would have these monsters of pine ready to come in and set the diamond on fire. :thumbup C- Ron Tingley- Everyone knows about the Mendoza line (.200), but some people forget about the Tingley line (.176) And he's the first catcher I've ever seen get a passed ball because he was swatting a mosquito on his forearm as the pitcher was throwing to home plate. :notworthy IF- Dave Magadan- Awesome as hell, but as long as Kevin Orie is still part of this team's history, he will have to come in as a substitute when we are leading by 15 or more runs. With this lineup, that means he'd easily play 150-162 games. :notworthy OF- Junior Felix- HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHA :notworthy It's difficult to pick out 5 starters, because pretty much anyone we've ever had has been so awesome. So I would just let Ryan Bowen throw 6 innings of every game, then bring in Vladamir Nunez to close it out. If there was a tough lefty coming up, I would go with Joe Klink or Felix Heredia. I may go ahead and keep Dennis Springer on the roster just in case Ryan Bowen gets diareah during a game and has to come out of it or something. Springer's record of 6-16 in 1999 always looks like a misprint, which is so cool because it's not, and I love being tricked!!! How'd he do that???? That would be quite a team... I think Dunwoody, Reed and Abercrombie should be on there as well. I would also throw in the Secret Weapon.
August 8, 200620 yr (min 1 year service with the Marlins) C Benito Santiago (Pudge would get my pick, but he left for more ca$h and that pissed me off) 1B D Lee 2B Castillo (I would put Uggla if he had been around a few years b/c he is better offensive) 3B Cabrera SS Gonzo OF Andre Dawson (just for star power) OF Juan Pierre OF Gary Sheffield Rotation: SP Alex Fernandez SP Al Liter SP Kevin Brown SP Livan Hernandez SP Dontrelle Willis RP Antonio Alfonseca RP Rob Nen RP Pat Rapp (had 2 relief appearences so he qualifies as a reliever!) RP David Weathers RP Brandon Looper CP Bryan Harvey BENCH 1B/OF Jeff Conine 1B Kevin Millar C Charles Johnson 3B Mike Lowell OF Preston Wilson SS Kurt Abbott Utility Men (not counted toward 25 man roster) UT Damian Easley UT Mike Mordacai UT Andy Fox SS Walt Wiess "30th Man" P Josh Beckett Manager: Jack McKeeon Base coaches IF Perry Hill 1B Jeff Cox 3B Cookie Rojas Bench Coach Rene Lachman Bullpen Pierre Aresnault Co-GM GM Admin Bienfest GM Dave Dombrowski Owner: Jeff Loria Broadcasters TV: Len Kasper, Tommy Hutton Radio: Boog Schambi and Dave O'Brien
August 8, 200620 yr Here's my list: C - Ivan Rodriguez 1B - Derrek Lee/Jeff Conine 2B - Luis Castillo SS - Edgar Renteria 3B - Mike Lowell LF - Miguel Cabrera CF - Juan Pierre RF - Gary Sheffield SP - Dontrelle Willis SP - Kevin Brown SP - Josh Beckett SP - Livan Hernandez SP - Brad Penny RP - Todd Jones RP - Armando Benitez RP - Antonio Alfonseca RP - Bryan Harvey RP - Matt Mantei RP - Ugueth Urbina CL - Robb Nen Bench C - Paul LoDuca OF - Moises Alou OF - Cliff Floyd IF - Bobby Bonilla IF - Alex Gonzalez Manager: Jack McKeon
August 9, 200620 yr My 25 man roster, min. 1 year to qualify: C Pudge Dookie 1B Carlos Delgado Derrek Lee 2B Luis Castillo Craig Counsell SS Edgar Renteria Alex Gonzalez 3B Mike Lowell RF Gary Sheffield CF Devon White LF Miguel Cabrera Backups: Cliff Floyd Juan Pierre SP Kevin Brown Dontrelle Willis Al Leiter Josh Beckett Alex Fernandez Spot Starter: Livan Hernandez CP: Bryan Harvey RP: Armando Benitez RP: Todd Jones RP: Robb Nen RP: Matt Mantei
August 9, 200620 yr C - Ivan Rodriguez 1B- Carlos Delgado 2B- Luis Castillo 3B- Miguel Cabrera SS- Edgar Rentaria LF- Cliff Floyd CF- Mark Kotsay RF- Gary Sheffield SP- Kevin Brown SP- Brad Penny SP- Dontrelle Willis SP- Al Leiter SP- Alex Fernandez RP- Bryan Harvey RP- Rob Nen RP- Ugeth Urbina RP- Todd Jones RP- Trevor Hoffman RP- Armando Benitez RP- Dennis Cook Bench (bench players only) IF- Alex Arias 1B-OF - Jim Eisenreich OF- Lenny Harris IF/OF -Wes Helms C- Big Red White>Pierre= Bizarro World white was definately waaaay better than pierre No he wasn't, he was ass-tastic. Devon did not get on base enough.
August 9, 200620 yr we should make the Anti-All-Time Marlins team just for fun Someone actually did have that earlier in this post. Quite amusing I would say. Although Brett Barberie didn't deserve to be hounded like he was, nor Dave Magadan.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.