PSA to all catchers everywhere

rferry

The only reason I saw for Olivo struggling to catch the ball last night was b/c of Dontrelle's inability to keep his control. The times the ball did squirt away from him he managed to do a good job for the most part keeping the ball near him.

Look it's Miguel Olivo, he is not going to put in a perfectly played game night in and night out. Give him a freakin break already. He is having an excellent year behind the plate.

Olivo's hitting and has the best Baserunners Caught Stealing percentage i believe,it's not his fault that sometimes Dontrelle can be wild.After D-Train throws one wild pitch that's it,he loses the strike zone for some reason.Maybe if we could actually hit the ball in clutch situations,we might be able to win some games as well.

The only reason I saw for Olivo struggling to catch the ball last night was b/c of Dontrelle's inability to keep his control. The times the ball did squirt away from him he managed to do a good job for the most part keeping the ball near him.

Look it's Miguel Olivo, he is not going to put in a perfectly played game night in and night out. Give him a freakin break already. He is having an excellent year behind the plate.

beside the plate.

beside the plate. Give it a rest already. Did you actually think you were getting a Pudge quality catcher in Olivo? I hope not.

Olivo has done quite a serviceable job BEHIND the plate. Unless I am reading his numbers wrong they are pretty damn good.

Glossary

GP: Games Played GS: Games Started INN: Innings TC: Total Chances PO: Putouts A: Assists E: Errors DP: Double plays FPCT: Fielding Pct.((PO + A) divided by (PO + A + E)) RF: Range Factor ((PO + A) * 9 divided by innings) ZR: Zone rating. The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc. PB: Passed Balls SB: Stolen Bases Allowed CS: Caught Stealing CS%: Caught Stealing Pct. CERA: Catcher's earned-run average. Earned-run average of club's pitchers with a particular catcher behind the plate

Servicable? Yes. I'm not saying he or anyone has to be perfect. But it's frustrating. It's frustrating in the same way it is to watch Uggla botch routine plays or Ramirez bunts. Or Hermida miss the cut off man. Or Abercrombie catching the ball at his side (ok, that's beyond frustrating). These are the fundamental parts of the game. They should be known. They should be followed. Yet they continue to happen. Every single day. Every single inning. You hear two sounds after a Marlins pitcher throws to Olivo, "plop" and "plop". This shouldn't be happening as frequently as it does!!!

I like stats (obviously), but stats also say Abercrombie is a great centerfielder. That he is, heck, Olivo might rank atop NL catchers depending on your system of combining the many different catching stats together. But that doesn't mean Abercrombie's defensive game isn't flawed. That doesn't mean he doesn't hurt the team at times with stupid mistakes or couldn't improve his game dramatically by catching the ball in front of him rather than at his side. Cabrera's a freaking all-star on his way to the Hall of Fame, but if he was dedicated to improving his defense he'd be so much better.

Olivo must have dropped the ball close to a dozen times last night and didn't get charged with a passed ball once. The Nats catcher Harper wasn't much better. He routinely drops balls for every pitcher every night. He does not inspire confidence in our pitching staff, another requirement of the catching position, and harms the chances of close pitches being called a strike (for if yolu can't catch a pitch, you can't frame it). That doesn't make him a bad player. It makes him a player that is frustrating to watch. Like the speed demon refusing to steal. Or the pitcher who has no trust in his third or fourth pitch. He could be so much better. Yet he isn't.

The only reason Olivo struggled to catch the ball last night was because Dontrelle was out of control for a good part of that game. It's Olivo's job to catch the ball but it's Dontrelle's job get it there. It's his job to throw strikes and keep his pitches under control.

:thumbup

who cares if he doesn't catch the ball? as long as he keeps it in front of him and it isn't a passed ball, what does it matter?

you explained yourself his reasons for his dropping pitches...t-hutt has gone over this before. olivo is making an attempt to "frame" the pitches and get his pitcher the called strike. he tries to keep his glove as close as he can to the strike zone and when a pitcher is all over the place like dontrelle was, he drops pitches out of the strike zone trying to get the call (when in reality, if isn't a framable pitch, so he drops it). as long as the runners on base don't advance, it doesn't matter. and don't give me that garbage about "not inspiring confidence his pitchers". he is not the reason dontrelle willis can't find the strike zone.

Olivo has done more than any of us could have asked for. one of the best hitting and throwing catchers and he calls a good game...if all he does wrong is drop a couple of meaningless pitches a game, i'll take it.

It is my opinion that pitchers like to throw to someone who they can trust to catch their pitches and therefore have confidence in themselves to throw on the outside corner or in the dirt away from the batter's sweet spot.

Well according to Dontrelle's outing last night he had no problem throwing the ball off the plate every other pitch. Chalk it up to a wild start but I think Dontrelle is pretty confident in his catcher. The problem is Dontrelle would never admit to having a problem with him :lol

It is my opinion that pitchers like to throw to someone who they can trust to catch their pitches and therefore have confidence in themselves to throw on the outside corner or in the dirt away from the batter's sweet spot.

Josh Johnson hasn't had a problem throwing to Olivo....or Nolasco...or Sanchez....

don't try to blame Olivo for Willis' lack of command. The only one at fault is Willis himself.

geez...i seem to have stumbled upon another hate on olivo thread...ok...fine...lets do it rferry, lets find a catcher who plays great defense and hits .210 with 2 homers and 10 rbis...oh wait...we have matt treanor...and what a fine starting catcher he will make...damn...can we please stop with these threads...olivo is without a doubt in my mind the most underrated free agent signing in the national league

why i havent hit the ignore on this guy yet is beyond me

It's like he is waiting for our players to mess up so he can say i told you so. just do us a favor, when Olivo is playing, save your time and root for the other team. Your act is getting OLD.

Olivo certainly has his flaws (plate eye, discipline, drops), but also has positive facets of his game (speed, arm, bi-lingual, hit for power/average). These things combined make him an above average catcher (at this juncture)...if it's sustainable we've found something quite valuable. Harping on flaws is fine, but recognize the positives.

who cares if he doesn't catch the ball? as long as he keeps it in front of him and it isn't a passed ball, what does it matter?

you explained yourself his reasons for his dropping pitches...t-hutt has gone over this before. olivo is making an attempt to "frame" the pitches and get his pitcher the called strike. he tries to keep his glove as close as he can to the strike zone and when a pitcher is all over the place like dontrelle was, he drops pitches out of the strike zone trying to get the call (when in reality, if isn't a framable pitch, so he drops it). as long as the runners on base don't advance, it doesn't matter. and don't give me that garbage about "not inspiring confidence his pitchers". he is not the reason dontrelle willis can't find the strike zone.

Olivo has done more than any of us could have asked for. one of the best hitting and throwing catchers and he calls a good game...if all he does wrong is drop a couple of meaningless pitches a game, i'll take it.

I do. Pitchers do. Batters do. Umpires do. It's true that a ball in front is better than a ball behind, but it's not without its own set of consequences. They, like so much of what a catcher does, does not show up in the box score, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or have carry some value significant or not. But he has more than his share of passed balls too. He's tied for second worst in that department among NL catchers. This while the team is only being in the middle of the pack (8th/16) in wild pitches.

If he's attempting to frame pitches, then he should reconsider his approach. Because dropping a border-line strike is not going to win the favor of the umpire for either the catcher or the pitcher. Indeed dropping a ball is going to suggest it wasn't a strike at all. If that is the case, then, Olivo needs to adapt his game, to correct this flaw in his game as it's obviously not working and is probably having the opposite effect.

I hate hate hate your reasoning in the 3rd paragraph. Are you incapable of breaking down a player's skills? Are you alright with a player failing to improve part of his game. This isn't a judgement on the player as a whole. As I said, Cabrera's a future HOFer and he still needs to work on his defense. Everyone who thinks Cabrera could improve his defense, stand up, now anyone who thinks he is a bad baseball player, take a step forward. Really? No one? Exactly! This is a judgement of his inability to perform a fundamental act that his position calls for. Fact is that all baseball players are better at certain things than they are at others. Some of that is natural. Some of that is because they weren't properly taught. Some of that is because they failed to learn it. No ballplayer anywhere in the world has the exact same skill level at every part of the game in every situation. So we should stop viewing them in such a way.

Well according to Dontrelle's outing last night he had no problem throwing the ball off the plate every other pitch. Chalk it up to a wild start but I think Dontrelle is pretty confident in his catcher. The problem is Dontrelle would never admit to having a problem with him :lol

Explain the other 82 games then! It happens every night with every pitcher. This night was particularly bad. That Dontrelle was wild didn't help, but it doesn't absolve Olivo from what is a continued problem. Sometimes I feel like I'm screaming at a brick wall that can't remember past yesterday's game. Players who go 0/4 that night can't be praised for anything. Players who go 4/4 that night do everything perfect. And guys who hit 493 feet homers are to be worshipped.

geez...i seem to have stumbled upon another hate on olivo thread...ok...fine...lets do it rferry, lets find a catcher who plays great defense and hits .210 with 2 homers and 10 rbis...oh wait...we have matt treanor...and what a fine starting catcher he will make...damn...can we please stop with these threads...olivo is without a doubt in my mind the most underrated free agent signing in the national league

Took the words out my mouth :notworthy

I do. Pitchers do. Batters do. Umpires do. It's true that a ball in front is better than a ball behind, but it's not without its own set of consequences. They, like so much of what a catcher does, does not show up in the box score, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or have carry some value significant or not. But he has more than his share of passed balls too. He's tied for second worst in that department among NL catchers. This while the team is only being in the middle of the pack (8th/16) in wild pitches.

If he's attempting to frame pitches, then he should reconsider his approach. Because dropping a border-line strike is not going to win the favor of the umpire for either the catcher or the pitcher. Indeed dropping a ball is going to suggest it wasn't a strike at all. If that is the case, then, Olivo needs to adapt his game, to correct this flaw in his game as it's obviously not working and is probably having the opposite effect.

I hate hate hate your reasoning in the 3rd paragraph. Are you incapable of breaking down a player's skills? Are you alright with a player failing to improve part of his game. This isn't a judgement on the player as a whole. As I said, Cabrera's a future HOFer and he still needs to work on his defense. Everyone who thinks Cabrera could improve his defense, stand up, now anyone who thinks he is a bad baseball player, take a step forward. Really? No one? Exactly! This is a judgement of his inability to perform a fundamental act that his position calls for. Fact is that all baseball players are better at certain things than they are at others. Some of that is natural. Some of that is because they weren't properly taught. Some of that is because they failed to learn it. No ballplayer anywhere in the world has the exact same skill level at every part of the game in every situation. So we should stop viewing them in such a way.

Explain the other 82 games then! It happens every night with every pitcher. This night was particularly bad. That Dontrelle was wild didn't help, but it doesn't absolve Olivo from what is a continued problem. Sometimes I feel like I'm screaming at a brick wall that can't remember past yesterday's game. Players who go 0/4 that night can't be praised for anything. Players who go 4/4 that night do everything perfect. And guys who hit 493 feet homers are to be worshipped.

Your screaming at a brick wall? More like it seems you have a personal vendetta out on certain players. Is it that hard for you to admit what a good job Olivo has done? You keep saying what about the other 82 games? Well yes, what about the other 82 games? I would be willing to take a guess that in the other 82 games Olivo has been involved in the winning end of games rather then the cause for a loss. Olivo does not single handedly lose games for the Fish, that's done collectivley. More times then not Olivo's mishandling of balls (heh) does not lead directly to a loss or runs scored. What Olivo might lack on the defensive end of the ball he makes up for it on offense, and you can't say alot of teams have that luxury. For a position that has been our weaker one over the years I feel we have done a good job upgrading that position this year. Like I said, he ain't no pudge, not even a cheap mans pudge, but he gets the job done. Praise him for the good he HAS done this year.

What is PSA?

Public Service Announcement