So, in case you guys haven't seen this yet...

cabrerarules

He's got the stats to contend for Rookie of the Year, as does Dan Uggla IMO, but how is that decided? Is it a media vote, players vote, coaches vote, combination? I can't believe I don't know this....

Taking nothing away from Uggla who is having a hell of a year, Johnson deserves it more. But if the ROTY is decided by the media like you asked, there's no way a Marlin would ever win it. Now way in hell.

He's got the stats to contend for Rookie of the Year, as does Dan Uggla IMO, but how is that decided? Is it a media vote, players vote, coaches vote, combination? I can't believe I don't know this....

someone else on this board said it best.

Dan Uggla is having a tremendous year FOR A ROOKIE.

Josh Johnson is having a tremendous year.(period.)

once JJ's era goes over 3 (and it will), I would then move my vote to Uggla

I don't understand either. And outside of a highlight I have never heard the words josh johnson on ESPN, never.

I don't know how much good it would do, but you could try e-mailing some of the baseball analysts and writers at ESPN like Buster Olney, Rob Neyer and Tim Kurkjian to try and get the word out about Josh Johnson. It could be a good tie in on BBTN for a NL version of the amazing season JJ is having as a counter to the great season Detroit's Justin Verlander is having in the AL, especially now that Francisco Liriano is out of the picture. It probably wont yield results, but it is worth a try.

Any ways, thanks for posting the update KTSG.

once JJ's era goes over 3 (and it will), I would then move my vote to Uggla

well yeah, plenty of things can change. If the season were to end today, however...

Why doesn't anyone talk about him on ESPN?

It's wierd how Verlander, Liriano, Papelbon, all of them get so much press but you never hear about Josh, who is leading the league in era.

So stupid.

Josh doesn't have quite the appeal as the Papelbons or Lirianos. See Penny with Beckett and Burnett. See Johnson with Olsen and Sanchez.

FWIW Nats beat writer for the Post, Svrluga (say that 1 time), said Johnson was the best contender to Zimmerman for ROY.

uggla a rule 5 pick....no one expected anything from this guy including me....he's hitting .290 with 18 jacks 60 something rbi's....i love jj and he has a great era but he is still 11-6....uggla uggla uggla!!!!!!!!

Dan Uggla is having a tremendous year FOR ANYONE.PERIOD.

fixed that for ya

uggla a rule 5 pick....no one expected anything from this guy including me....he's hitting .290 with 18 jacks 60 something rbi's....i love jj and he has a great era but he is still 11-6....uggla uggla uggla!!!!!!!!

Dan Uggla is having a tremendous year FOR ANYONE.PERIOD.

fixed that for ya

tremendous year for an offensive player:

see:

Cabrera, Miguel

Mauer, Joe

Howard, Ryan

Hafner, Travis

etc.

Just putting this out there (not to be demeaning in anyway), but JJ's WHIP is pretty high for an ERA leader, indicating to the unknowing that there's a luck factor, while really it has more to do with inconsistent outings (absolutely stellar, absolutely awful).

Honestly, JJ's candidacy is purely about the numbers, and the numbers help him and hurt him both at the same time.

To me, it's Uggla's award to lose, and if it goes to anyone "in a landslide" it should be Uggla.

Just putting this out there (not to be demeaning in anyway), but JJ's WHIP is pretty high for an ERA leader, indicating to the unknowing that there's a luck factor, while really it has more to do with inconsistent outings (absolutely stellar, absolutely awful).

Honestly, JJ's candidacy is purely about the numbers, and the numbers help him and hurt him both at the same time.

To me, it's Uggla's award to lose, and if it goes to anyone "in a landslide" it should be Uggla.

What is Uggla's candidacy based on if not on numbers? He wouldn't be in the running for the ROTY if he was hitting .245 with 6 HR just like JJ wouldn't if he was 6-13 now with a 5.25 ERA.

Personally, I think the fact JJ's WHIP is what it is makes his ERA even more impressive. He is the league leader despite his WHIP in no small part due to the fact he has been one of the hardest pitcher's to hit. He is in the top 10 in BAA and has the held opponents to the lowest slugging percentage of all SP in baseball.

On top of that, he has shown on multiple occasions a veteran-type mound presence/mentality and not gotten rattled in situations that could have turned very ugly and would rattle almost any other rookie starting pitcher.

I don't know how you can say he has been absolutely stellar or absolutely awful. The only start this year in which he has been absolutely awful was his start against LA at DS earlier this month. The rest of his starts I would characterize, as:

• On the high end, absolutely stellar/nearly unhittable.

• On the low end, not his best stuff (too many walks and/or pitches) but still manages to leave the team in a position to win.

JJ might not be as flashy as some other candidates, but don't let the lack of flash distract you from what he does for the Marlins.

I think JJ would have to really distance himself from the competition to win a Cy Young, even as things stand right now. And from Webb in particular if Webb is a close 2nd in ERA, etc, because when it comes down to a close race, I think they tend to give the nod to veterans.

I think JJ's done fantastic though, & I hope somehow he can keep this going through the end of the season & make it interesting.

:thumbup

What is Uggla's candidacy based on if not on numbers? He wouldn't be in the running for the ROTY if he was hitting .245 with 6 HR just like JJ wouldn't if he was 6-13 now with a 5.25 ERA.

Personally, I think the fact JJ's WHIP is what it is makes his ERA even more impressive. He is the league leader despite his WHIP in no small part due to the fact he has been one of the hardest pitcher's to hit. He is in the top 10 in BAA and has the held opponents to the lowest slugging percentage of all SP in baseball.

On top of that, he has shown on multiple occasions a veteran-type mound presence/mentality and not gotten rattled in situations that could have turned very ugly and would rattle almost any other rookie starting pitcher.

I don't know how you can say he has been absolutely stellar or absolutely awful. The only start this year in which he has been absolutely awful was his start against LA at DS earlier this month. The rest of his starts I would characterize, as:

? On the high end, absolutely stellar/nearly unhittable.

? On the low end, not his best stuff (too many walks and/or pitches) but still manages to leave the team in a position to win.

JJ might not be as flashy as some other candidates, but don't let the lack of flash distract you from what he does for the Marlins.

Uggla's candidacy is built on being a second baseman putting up obscene numbers for both the position, and more importantly as a rookie.

If Uggla were a right-fielder or a first-baseman, he'd have a harder time, but doing it at a position where offense is at a premium, doing it all season, and doing it with pretty solid defense enhances it.

Johnson's just a starter. Not taking anything away, but he's simply a good young starter.

But if the ROTY is decided by the media like you asked, there's no way a Marlin would ever win it. Now way in hell.

Dontrelle Willis?