Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Favorite War Movie

Featured Replies

So what is it? It can either be a broad topic, or a rather narrow take on a war.

 

Mine, would be a tossup with either Glory, or Saving Private Ryan. I'd probably lean towards Glory, mainly because of Morgan Freeman's, and Denzel Washington's usual excellent acting. Two of my favorite performances from them, which is saying something.

My favorite is probably Saving Private Ryan, just because it was so groundbreaking and really set the bar high for any movies in the future.

 

I know it wasn't really popular among critics, but I enjoyed the Thin Red Line quite a bit. It would probably take second.

 

Glory, Apocalypse Now (if you could call it a "war movie") and A Bridge Too Far would round out a top 5 for me.

1. Braveheart

2. Saving Private Ryan

3. Das Boot

4. Patton

5. Full Metal Jacket

6. Tigerland

7. Black Hawk Down

8. Apocalypse Now

9. Seargeant York

10. Platoon

 

Also considered: We Were Soldiers, The Deer Hunter, Three Kings, Gladiator, and Glory.

 

If you consider Schindler's List a war movie, put it in at no. 1 and move everything down. If Zulu is considered one I'd put that in my top 5 as well.

Full Metal

 

The first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan is incredible though.

 

Theres a tie at the top of my list

1. Band of Brothers (I'll consider it a movie for these purposes)

2. The Patriot

3. Saving Private Ryan

4. Kingdom of Heaven

5. Captain Corelli's Mandolin

6. War of the Worlds

7. Black Hawk Down

8. Courage Under Fire

9. Thin Red Line

10. Glory

I'll say Three Kings (I don't care if it's a heist-war movie) with Saving Private Ryan as a follow-up.

 

Band of Brothers is still tv or it'd take my number 1.

When I think war movies, I don't think of Braveheart or Gladiator, just because for some reason my mind thinks World War II/Civil/Revolutionary/Vietnam, etc.

 

But if we're considering Braveheart a war movie, then that is my obvious choice for no. 1.

When I think war movies, I don't think of Braveheart or Gladiator, just because for some reason my mind thinks World War II/Civil/Revolutionary/Vietnam, etc.

 

But if we're considering Braveheart a war movie, then that is my obvious choice for no. 1.

 

I've always had the same mindset.

I wouldn't consider Gladiator a war movie by any stretch...I can see how Braveheart is sometimes lumped into the 'war' category, but not Gladiator.

Modern wars:

 

Saving Private Ryan

Black Hawk Down

 

Wars from antiquity:

 

Kingdom of Heaven DC

Braveheart

Modern wars:

 

Saving Private Ryan

Black Hawk Down

 

Wars from antiquity:

 

Kingdom of Heaven DC

Braveheart

 

WOW how could I forget Kingdom of Heaven

 

*amends list*

Full Metal

 

The first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan is incredible though.

 

Theres a tie at the top of my list

 

 

 

The D-Day invasion, from first shot of the boats until we see the last Ryan brother face down on the beach, is longer than 25 minutes I believe. Like 10 minutes longer.

 

Suprised no one has said Starship Troopers. And I am not kidding. The book of the same name that the movie is based on is required reading at the 3 main US Military colleges, plus others such as VMI, etc.

Full Metal

 

The first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan is incredible though.

 

Theres a tie at the top of my list

 

 

 

The D-Day invasion, from first shot of the boats until we see the last Ryan brother face down on the beach, is longer than 25 minutes I believe. Like 10 minutes longer.

 

Suprised no one has said Starship Troopers. And I am not kidding. The book of the same name that the movie is based on is required reading at the 3 main US Military colleges, plus others such as VMI, etc.

 

 

 

Ok, the first THIRTY minutes then.

 

 

:rolleyes:

The Deer Hunter is a personal favorite of mine

 

 

Great movie, but I hesitate to call it a war movie. I think it's more of a drama that just happens to take place in and around Vietnam.

 

Great pick, either way.

Full Metal

 

The first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan is incredible though.

 

Theres a tie at the top of my list

 

 

 

The D-Day invasion, from first shot of the boats until we see the last Ryan brother face down on the beach, is longer than 25 minutes I believe. Like 10 minutes longer.

 

Suprised no one has said Starship Troopers. And I am not kidding. The book of the same name that the movie is based on is required reading at the 3 main US Military colleges, plus others such as VMI, etc.

 

 

 

Ok, the first THIRTY minutes then.

 

 

:rolleyes:

 

 

I wasn't really saying that to correct you, just more so throwing it out there that the D-day invasion scenes of SPR is alot longer than some realize.

 

I was just using your seugway.

while saving private ryan and glory are probably my favorites...i also really like the german movie called "downfall" about the last days of hitler in his bunker

while saving private ryan and glory are probably my favorites...i also really like the german movie called "downfall" about the last days of hitler in his bunker

 

 

 

 

Downfall was a great movie!

 

I rented it and didnt expect too much from it but it really delivered.

1) Patton

2) Apocalypse Now

3) Full Metal Jacket

4) The Deer Hunter

5) Downfall

Saving Private Ryan

Uncomon Valor

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

Hamburger Hill

We were soldiers

Glory

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.