Favorite War Movie

Rune

So what is it? It can either be a broad topic, or a rather narrow take on a war.

Mine, would be a tossup with either Glory, or Saving Private Ryan. I'd probably lean towards Glory, mainly because of Morgan Freeman's, and Denzel Washington's usual excellent acting. Two of my favorite performances from them, which is saying something.

My favorite is probably Saving Private Ryan, just because it was so groundbreaking and really set the bar high for any movies in the future.

I know it wasn't really popular among critics, but I enjoyed the Thin Red Line quite a bit. It would probably take second.

Glory, Apocalypse Now (if you could call it a "war movie") and A Bridge Too Far would round out a top 5 for me.

1. Braveheart

2. Saving Private Ryan

3. Das Boot

4. Patton

5. Full Metal Jacket

6. Tigerland

7. Black Hawk Down

8. Apocalypse Now

9. Seargeant York

10. Platoon

Also considered: We Were Soldiers, The Deer Hunter, Three Kings, Gladiator, and Glory.

If you consider Schindler's List a war movie, put it in at no. 1 and move everything down. If Zulu is considered one I'd put that in my top 5 as well.

When I think war movies, I don't think of Braveheart or Gladiator, just because for some reason my mind thinks World War II/Civil/Revolutionary/Vietnam, etc.

But if we're considering Braveheart a war movie, then that is my obvious choice for no. 1.

When I think war movies, I don't think of Braveheart or Gladiator, just because for some reason my mind thinks World War II/Civil/Revolutionary/Vietnam, etc.

But if we're considering Braveheart a war movie, then that is my obvious choice for no. 1.

I've always had the same mindset.

I wouldn't consider Gladiator a war movie by any stretch...I can see how Braveheart is sometimes lumped into the 'war' category, but not Gladiator.

Full Metal

The first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan is incredible though.

Theres a tie at the top of my list

The D-Day invasion, from first shot of the boats until we see the last Ryan brother face down on the beach, is longer than 25 minutes I believe. Like 10 minutes longer.

Suprised no one has said Starship Troopers. And I am not kidding. The book of the same name that the movie is based on is required reading at the 3 main US Military colleges, plus others such as VMI, etc.

Full Metal

The D-Day invasion, from first shot of the boats until we see the last Ryan brother face down on the beach, is longer than 25 minutes I believe. Like 10 minutes longer.

Suprised no one has said Starship Troopers. And I am not kidding. The book of the same name that the movie is based on is required reading at the 3 main US Military colleges, plus others such as VMI, etc.

Ok, the first THIRTY minutes then.

:rolleyes:

Full Metal

Ok, the first THIRTY minutes then.

:rolleyes:

I wasn't really saying that to correct you, just more so throwing it out there that the D-day invasion scenes of SPR is alot longer than some realize.

I was just using your seugway.

while saving private ryan and glory are probably my favorites...i also really like the german movie called "downfall" about the last days of hitler in his bunker

Downfall was a great movie!

I rented it and didnt expect too much from it but it really delivered.