If the Marlins do not acquire a CF for 2007

marlins2219

There's really too many other factors including who the manager is, the basic strategy he will employ (smallball, big-inning, etc.), who is playing corner positions, how people do in winter ball...

As unpopular as it might be my choice from the list above is Amezega, who with an off-season of practice and hopefully some tutledge, could make the transition to the OF on a more or less permanent basis. He can after all, go get the ball and is fearless out there. I think Marlins fans should be thankful he stepped up the way he did after the deservedly maligned Abercrombie tryout failed miserably.

Is he the prototypical CFer, absolutely not, but we're only talking about the choices above.

I believe we need to spend money to acquire a good CF for next year, either by free agency or trade. I would not be upset if we bring back none of the 7 players on the list above for next year.

The team projects to have Jacobs, Uggla, Hanley, Willingham, and Hermida (5 of 8 everyday position players) making about $2 million total next year. And Anibal, Olsen, Johnson, Nolasco (4 of 5 starters) making another $2 million total. Dontrelle may make $7 million and Cabrera $4 million. That's $15 million total. If we bring back Olivo, it might be about $16.5 million total.

If we have even a $32.5 million payroll next year, that would give us $16 million to field a bench and our two biggest weaknesses by far, center fielder and bullpen.

In my opinion, there is no excuse for us using any of the seven names above in CF next year when we have the money to spend to acquire a real CF. I understand we had a $15 million opening-day payroll this year because the goal this year was to develop talent, not to win. But I think management needs to spend the money for next year, because this year's team has shown that they are not that far away from being a playoff team. I would be very disappointed if we kept the status quo in center for '07.

I believe we need to spend money to acquire a good CF for next year, either by free agency or trade. I would not be upset if we bring back none of the 7 players on the list above for next year.

The team projects to have Jacobs, Uggla, Hanley, Willingham, and Hermida (5 of 8 everyday position players) making about $2 million total next year. And Anibal, Olsen, Johnson, Nolasco (4 of 5 starters) making another $2 million total. Dontrelle may make $7 million and Cabrera $4 million. That's $15 million total. If we bring back Olivo, it might be about $16.5 million total.

If we have even a $32.5 million payroll next year, that would give us $16 million to field a bench and our two biggest weaknesses by far, center fielder and bullpen.

In my opinion, there is no excuse for us using any of the seven names above in CF next year when we have the money to spend to acquire a real CF. I understand we had a $15 million opening-day payroll this year because the goal this year was to develop talent, not to win. But I think management needs to spend the money for next year, because this year's team has shown that they are not that far away from being a playoff team. I would be very disappointed if we kept the status quo in center for '07.

I hope the Marlins keep Cody Ross (especially with Hermida's future somewhat in question after this season) and Alfredo Amezaga (super bench player/scrappy Rob Mackowiak) and even Joe Borchard. The rest, minus Reggie Abercrombie, can just be kept in the minors (or include them in some multiplayer trade for a CF or reliever). Kool Aid needs to get his walking papers unless Beinfest can somehow convince another GM he has value. Also, I think Cabrera is in to get more that $4 million if we let him go to arbitration. If that happens, I expect him to set a new first year arby salary record. Something in the $6-$7 million range. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point and we sign him to a long term deal.

But I agree with your general sentiment. The Marlins need to get a CF this offseason. Hopefully one with great range and a great arm and a good bat for contact/good eye. We don't need another slugger. It would probably be best to trade for a young prospect with no change in sight as far as the Marlins paying big bucks for another player (at least if we want to keep Dontrelle and Miggy) . We definitely have the pitching prospects in the minors to trade for a solid CF.

As crazy as it sounds, they should go after Jim Edmonds hard. I think he'd come here for a chance to play without any real competition and prove he still has it. He'd want to be on a contender at this stage of his career, and we can offer that over the next few seasons. Perfect fit on paper unless he has family issues and wants to stay in St. Louis or go to a bigger market and be a platoon OF. All it would take is the starting job and a decent deal w/ strong incentives.

Also, Cody Ross hits LHP with a 1.000+ OPS. Edmonds hits RHP .900+. We'd turn centerfield from a glaring weakness, into one of our main positional strengths with one move. I also like Kenny Lofton in the same role, but I prefer some power with Edmonds. Think those old vets is the way to go with this one, and see if Cody can learn how to hit RHP, wait till Gaby/Volstad/West/etc are ready to make the jump so we can trade MLB ready pitching from either the rotation or AAA for a young CF.

All up to Loria to open his purse to $30-35 mil next year. That's all we need to fix every problem.

As crazy as it sounds, they should go after Jim Edmonds hard. I think he'd come here for a chance to play without any real competition and prove he still has it. He'd want to be on a contender at this stage of his career, and we can offer that over the next few seasons. Perfect fit on paper unless he has family issues and wants to stay in St. Louis or go to a bigger market and be a platoon OF. All it would take is the starting job and a decent deal w/ strong incentives.

Also, Cody Ross hits LHP with a 1.000+ OPS. Edmonds hits RHP .900+. We'd turn centerfield from a glaring weakness, into one of our main positional strengths with one move. I also like Kenny Lofton in the same role, but I prefer some power with Edmonds. Think those old vets is the way to go with this one, and see if Cody can learn how to hit RHP, wait till Gaby/Volstad/West/etc are ready to make the jump so we can trade MLB ready pitching from either the rotation or AAA for a young CF.

All up to Loria to open his purse to $30-35 mil next year. That's all we need to fix every problem.

I don't think Edmonds would sign here and agree to be platooned. I don't know if Lofton is a free agent but if he is a Lofton / Ross platoon would get the job done.

I don't think Edmonds would sign here and agree to be platooned. I don't know if Lofton is a free agent but if he is a Lofton / Ross platoon would get the job done.

Edmonds has been "platooned" this entire decade versus LHP. If the Marlins are aggressive, it's a good fit both ways. Lofton is a FA.

I've never noticed him to be a platoon player. Since the '01 season 25% of his ABs are vs lefties. That's a pretty high number for a platoon guy.