Marlins Rookie of the Year

In this order as far as "impressive" goes:

Hanley, Sanchez, Uggla, Johnson, Olsen.

What Hanley's doing as a rookie is just flat out insane. For all the publicity that Reyes is getting as "the best short-stop in baseball" Hanley's fungibly worse.

Reyes .354/.489/.844 122 R's

Hanley .353/.481/..834 118 R's

Seriously, they're like the exact same player, but Hanley's behind Jose by 3 years of professional service time.

It's going to be fun as hell to see where these two are in 2008.

Sanchez has just been unbelievable. He just has that ability to put the ball exactly where he wants it at all times, and as a 22 year old to be able to do that, and throw anything in a 2-2 or 3-2 count and usually get the out, well, that's special.

Uggla's just the victim of slumping at the wrong time, for most of the year, he had to be rookie of the year, it's just he went cold, Hanley got hot and Sancez exploded.

Im torn between Johnson & Uggla. I know that Hanley has the numbers and has been tearing the ball a new seam recently but you can't deny what Uggla has been doing all year long ... plus there's that All-Star thingie to his name

Johnson was steady all year until going down with the injury, he was also leading the league in ERA for a while. I also think that if Olsen would have gotten 2 or 3 more victories he would be top 3 in voting

On numbers, Hanley runs away with this. I know people gravitate towards Uggla because he was such a surprise. But Hanley's been straight up ridiculous, especially since the All-Star Break.

I just don't really see an arguement for Uggla here. I mean, Hanley even has a better slugging percentage.

Edit: I suppose the arguement for Uggla would be defense. That would be a reasonable arguement.

depends on how you look at it:

If you look at it through the whole year, it's between JJ and Uggla I think. What JJ did was amazing, basically becoming the ace of the staff. You could count on him to end losing streaks and pitch well just about always, and ultimately leading the NL in ERA most of the time he was eligible. Even in his bad starts he kept the team in games, limiting the damage to 3-4 runs, occasionally 5 at the end.

Uggla's the best story as the rule 5 guy, who is setting rookie records for offensive production, setting the club rookie RBI record, the MLB rookie 2B HR record. All the while probably also being the most defensively dependable of the Marlins rookies (not counting pitchers). slump at the end hurt though.

If you look at just the numbers, especially offensively, it's Hanley. over 50 SBs, over 45 2Bs, etc, etc. The numbers he has put up would be a big deal even for veteran player in their 6th season. For a rookie it's amazing. And if you consider how bad he was slumping during June & into July, and imagine if he hadn't then it's just downright scary. 50 2Bs, 20 HRs, 55-60 SBs wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility without that slump.

On numbers, Hanley runs away with this. I know people gravitate towards Uggla because he was such a surprise. But Hanley's been straight up ridiculous, especially since the All-Star Break.

I just don't really see an arguement for Uggla here. I mean, Hanley even has a better slugging percentage.

Edit: I suppose the arguement for Uggla would be defense. That would be a reasonable arguement.

I suppose the argument could be made but I don't think it would be much of an argument. Looking at the season as a whole I think both of them are below average defensively. Uggla's defense was poor early on and then he had a long stretch where he was fine but lately he has slumped with the bat and the glove.

I suppose the argument could be made but I don't think it would be much of an argument. Looking at the season as a whole I think both of them are below average defensively. Uggla's defense was poor early on and then he had a long stretch where he was fine but lately he has slumped with the bat and the glove.

Uggla has clearly been less of a liability on defense.

There is no argument over that.

With that said, Hanley's offensive numbers are ridiculous for a kid his age.

Both are below average. Hanley's defense may be a D and Uggla's may be a C-. Uggla is a little better but not much better and still below average. To make a case for a guy for ROY based on his defense when his defense is below average is a rather weak case, in my opinion.

Defensive stats are VERY limited but that's what we have.

Fielding %:

Hanley is 4th from the bottom among SS

Uggla is 6th from the bottom among 2B

Zone Rating:

Hanley is at the bottom among SS

Both are below average. Hanley's defense may be a D and Uggla's may be a C-. Uggla is a little better but not much better and still below average. To make a case for a guy for ROY based on his defense when his defense is below average is a rather weak case, in my opinion.

Defensive stats are VERY limited but that's what we have.

Fielding %:

Hanley is 4th from the bottom among SS

Zone Rating:

Hanley is at the bottom among SS

Like I said, Uggla is less of a liability on defense. The stats you have provided back that up.

I wasnt trying to infer that Uggla should get ROY because of it.