Rule V draft... Should we take a chance?

Hollyberry

Can lightning strike the same place twice? At my house it did :p . So, should we take another chance and go for it? We pretty much have nothing to lose -- only about $55k.

Thanks to Beautox for the list.

as for possible Rule V OF draftees in AA here is a list i came up with.

Texas League

Jorge Cortes 25 OF .293/.366/.427 8HR, 50BB/63SO, 4SB/7CS-Astros

Brian Stavisky 26 OF .297/.406/.425 8HR, 80BB/76SO, 3SB/1CS-A's

Southern League

Chris Walker 25 OF .292/.351/.390 2HR, 40BB/102SO 50SB/23CS-Cubs

Eastern League

Doug Deeds 24 OF .282/.383/.470 14HR, 70BB/107SO 4SB/3CS-Twins

Trent Oeltjen 23 OF .299/.378/.411 3HR, 36BB/58SO 23SB/11CS-Twins

I am not sure if there are anymore out there.

what makes the Dan Uggla story so special is that it is a rarity for a Rule V pick to become the type of player he is. Don't fall in love with the Rule V draft, 99% of the time you either waste a spot on the 25 man roster or the player is returned to their orginal team. If the scouting dept. deems another player an Uggla-type, go for it...but don't count on it every year.

what makes the Dan Uggla story so special is that it is a rarity for a Rule V pick to become the type of player he is. Don't fall in love with the Rule V draft, 99% of the time you either waste a spot on the 25 man roster or the player is returned to their orginal team. If the scouting dept. deems another player an Uggla-type, go for it...but don't count on it every year.

Its not like it a big risk for us and if Loria doesnt wanna spend money might as well sign one of theese players

I've recounted this before, but both Dan Uggla and I think it was Josh Willingham (although I could be mistaken on him) were interviewed on tv and perhaps also quoted during the season in the press as saying both of them knew more players than most would realize who were stuck in the minors and as good or better ballplayers than themselves, not because of talent, but either blocked by some superstar or another highly touted prospect who owned the spotlight, and never get a chance in the bigs.

So if Beinfest and company do their job, for $50,000 each I wouldn't be surprised if there's more Rule 5 picks in our future.

to the people who keep saying, why not take a chance you have nothing to lose,,,,

using a spot on your 25 man roster is a BIG deal.

If you want to bring someone in, you HAVE to be sure he's worth the spot another relief pitcher could be filling.

Not as big a deal when your alternatives are Reggie, Eric Reed, and Chris Aguila.

I've recounted this before, but both Dan Uggla and I think it was Josh Willingham (although I could be mistaken on him) were interviewed on tv and perhaps also quoted during the season in the press as saying both of them knew more players than most would realize who were stuck in the minors and as good or better ballplayers than themselves, not because of talent, but either blocked by some superstar or another highly touted prospect who owned the spotlight, and never get a chance in the bigs.

So if Beinfest and company do their job, for $50,000 each I wouldn't be surprised if there's more Rule 5 picks in our future.

Getting rookies to recomend minor league players not a bad idea

to the people who keep saying, why not take a chance you have nothing to lose,,,,

using a spot on your 25 man roster is a BIG deal.

If you want to bring someone in, you HAVE to be sure he's worth the spot another relief pitcher could be filling.

Bingo.

When you're oozing young talent like we are (everywhere except center) taking a rule V guy as an "answer" is rarely smart.

The Marlins were in a position of luxury that they could see what they had with Uggla and if they didn't like what they saw, oh well.

Usually, the rule V is used to fill the 11th and 12th man in the bullpen as we did with McGrew from the Dodgers and #55 from the Cubs (his name escapes me)...both of whom were returned almost immediately.

Centerfield needs to be addressed more effectively than rolling the dice on a rule V pick...and that's the only place we can look to upgrade, anyone who thinks we need to use it to fill the major league bullpen is crazy. Garcia, Tankersley, Messenger, Resop, Pinto, Petit, possibly Bowyer and possibly Herges along with the inevitable free agent signing or two all figure to be a part of the bullpen next season, and teams, at most, carry 7 relievers.

Mudcat is forgetting one thing, otherwise his point would be valid.

The Marlins or any other team, for $50,000 can spend an entire spring training, and a good part of the AFL and winter leagues in some cases, assessing the value of a player picked in the Rule 5.

In fact it was the AFL where the Marlins became convinced about Dan Uggla if he came available.

25 man rosters aren't set until the last day before the regular season begins. There is absolutely no need to place anyone taken in the Rule 5 on the roster until the roster is set. If they work out like a Dan Uggla, great, if not go back where you came from and half the $$$ is returned from the originating club.

Is there a Joe Hardy ("Damn Yankees") out there playing CF somewhere everyone has forgotten about or has passed over for the wrong reasons? Who knows.

But this I do know, after Uggla, alot of teams are going to be beating the bushes looking for him if he's out there before the draft. Uggla has accidently helped the cause of scores of older minorleaguers who will get a fresh look this off-season from teams who forget they even existed.

No one wants to be the next Arizona Diamondbacks.

Here's the rule: "Active rosters must be set at 25 the midnight before the first major-league game that counts in the standings." That's what spring training is for, to decide who makes it and who doesn't.

Ok I dont want to start anything here BUT according to a Rays website Elijah Dukes would be rule V draft eligible if not put on the 40 man roster and well given his past you think they would either trade him cheap for put him in the rule V?

I would LOVE to have this guy.

The Cardinals Cody Haether still isnt on their 40 man, and after a disappoint season somewhat he very well might not be. If he is left off, and he is available, he should be selected(he is eligible this year).

And, as for another Cardinals prospect(former), to take a look at, would be CF Terry Evans(whom they traded for Jeff Weaver).