Miami-FIU Fight: Teams Suspend 31

Guest FishFanInPA

Guest FishFanInPA

James Bryant caught a 5-yard touchdown pass from Wright, then drew a 15-yard flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. After making the catch, he appeared to point at the FIU (0-7) bench, then took a theatrical bow toward the stands.

Moments later, Jon Peattie kicked the extra point for a 14-0 lead and the melee began; replays showed an FIU player crashing into Miami holder Matt Perrelli as the first of many blows. Pushing quickly turned into punches, both sidelines emptied and several fights broke out.

"I have no idea how it happened," FIU coach Don Strock said.

The brawl lasted about five minutes, and it took officials several more minutes to sort out the penalties. More than two dozen uniformed police officers came onto the field, trying to end the fights, and at least one incident of fan fighting broke out in the Orange Bowl stands.

Florida International players sit on the bench during the last minutes of the fourth quarter of a football game against Miami at the Orange Bowl in Miami, Saturday, Oct. 14, 2006. Miami defeated Florida International 35-0. From left: wide receiver Elliott Dix (84) linebacker Wendy Napoleon (56) and defensive lineman Justin West (95).

AP - Oct 14, 10:22 pm EDT

More Photos

"Shocked, anger, both, all the emotions," Coker said when asked about watching the melee. "College football doesn't need it, FIU doesn't need it and certainly we don't need it. It's just not the way we wanted this game to unfold."

Police officers, including some wearing helmets, surrounded the field for the remainder of the game.

Florida International's ejected players were wide receiver Chandler Williams, defensive backs Lionell Singleton, Chris Smith and Marshall McDuffie Jr., fullback John Ellis, linebacker Mannie Wellington, tight end Samuel Smith and defensive end Jarvis Penerton.

DA U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Bryant caught a 5-yard touchdown pass from Wright, then drew a 15-yard flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. After making the catch, he appeared to point at the FIU (0-7) bench, then took a theatrical bow toward the stands.

Moments later, Jon Peattie kicked the extra point for a 14-0 lead and the melee began; replays showed an FIU player crashing into Miami holder Matt Perrelli as the first of many blows. Pushing quickly turned into punches, both sidelines emptied and several fights broke out.

"I have no idea how it happened," FIU coach Don Strock said.

The brawl lasted about five minutes, and it took officials several more minutes to sort out the penalties. More than two dozen uniformed police officers came onto the field, trying to end the fights, and at least one incident of fan fighting broke out in the Orange Bowl stands.

Florida International players sit on the bench during the last minutes of the fourth quarter of a football game against Miami at the Orange Bowl in Miami, Saturday, Oct. 14, 2006. Miami defeated Florida International 35-0. From left: wide receiver Elliott Dix (84) linebacker Wendy Napoleon (56) and defensive lineman Justin West (95).

AP - Oct 14, 10:22 pm EDT

More Photos

"Shocked, anger, both, all the emotions," Coker said when asked about watching the melee. "College football doesn't need it, FIU doesn't need it and certainly we don't need it. It's just not the way we wanted this game to unfold."

Police officers, including some wearing helmets, surrounded the field for the remainder of the game.

Florida International's ejected players were wide receiver Chandler Williams, defensive backs Lionell Singleton, Chris Smith and Marshall McDuffie Jr., fullback John Ellis, linebacker Mannie Wellington, tight end Samuel Smith and defensive end Jarvis Penerton.

DA U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You stay classy Miami.

ESPN needs to upgrade their sideline reporter for this team. It's about the ass not the 'commentary'.

I 2nd that motion.

I'm more embarassed by the fact that we're fighting FIU of all schools then just that we're fighting. FIU shouldn't be worth the skin off our fists, yo.

You have to remember a lot of these kids grew up playing each other in hih school, pop warner etc. Most of these South Florida guys probably know each other and what better way for FIU to get nationl pup than to fight with Da U.

Guest FishFanInPA

So what are the Hurricane apologists going to say about today's fiasco??? and how did Riddick not get kicked out of the game for using his helmet as a weapon.

Crazy fight win the FIU/UM game... What losers those canes are... Anyone got the youtube link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JWeE9KqZjQ

Oh my God.

DO YOU HEAR THAT STUPID ANNOUNCER???

"YOU DON'T COME TO THE OB AND OPEN YO MOUTH!" "I'M ABOUT TO GO DOWN THERE MYSELF!"

What an stupid idiot.

Typical Miami ghetto trash....

Says the dude from America's favorite slum.

Im a Cane, so Im obviously biased, but why is all the blame going to UM? I saw the whole thing and I dont condone what Redick did at all or Bryant to a lesser extent, but what about the guy slamming and then kicking the holder Perelli, a backup QB? The whole thing was disgusting, but just because its UM against FIU doesnt make one side more accountable. Another thing thats interesting is that UM is letting FIU use the Orange Bowl next year while FIU renovates its stadium, so they could make them homeless if they wanted to, not that they should or would, but that is an interesting dynamic.

Guest FishFanInPA

Crazy fight win the FIU/UM game... What losers those canes are... Anyone got the youtube link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JWeE9KqZjQ

Oh my God.

DO YOU HEAR THAT STUPID ANNOUNCER???

"YOU DON'T COME TO THE OB AND OPEN YO MOUTH!" "I'M ABOUT TO GO DOWN THERE MYSELF!"

What an stupid idiot.

Typical Miami ghetto trash....

Says the dude from America's favorite slum.

Wow.....PLEASE try to explain this...I can't wait to hear the spin.....Please tell me what the announcer said wasn't bad and that using your helmet as a weapon is a normal occurrence.

Wow.....PLEASE try to explain this...I can't wait to hear the spin.....Please tell me what the announcer said wasn't bad and that using your helmet as a weapon is a normal occurrence.

You didn't say that. You said the typical FishFanInPA generic statement to get under people's skin with, 'Typical Miami Ghetto Trash'

Guest FishFanInPA

How do Reddick, Merriweather and Leggett all not get ejected for their roles?

You didn't say that. You said the typical FishFanInPA generic statement to get under people's skin with, 'Typical Miami Ghetto Trash'

In response to Junior's comments on the announcer.....