TV analyst fired over UM-FIU comments

Hotcorner

espn

Canes analyst Thomas fired for comments during brawl

ESPN.com news services

MIAMI -- Former Miami player Lamar Thomas lost his TV analyst job Monday over comments he made during a sideline-clearing brawl involving the Hurricanes and Florida International.

"We were disappointed in the incident that happened on the field and regret the way it was handled in the broadcast booth," Comcast Sports SouthEast general manager Mark Fuhrman said. "We do not support or condone the inappropriate comments made by color analyst Lamar Thomas and have taken the necessary steps to prevent a similar situation from ever occurring again."

CSS, a regional cable network that hired Thomas before the season, also decided to edit out his comments before the game is replayed later this week. The network, which is available in 5.5 million homes, will replay the game twice Wednesday.

Thomas made his comments as dozens of Miami and FIU players stormed the Orange Bowl field and fought during the third quarter of their teams' game Saturday night, an incident that led to the suspension of at least 31 players and forced officials from both schools to publicly apologize for the melee.

"Now, that's what I'm talking about," Thomas said as the brawl raged out of control. "You come into our house, you should get your behind kicked. You don't come into the OB playing that stuff. You're across the ocean over there. You're across the city. You can't come over to our place talking noise like that. You'll get your butt beat. I was about to go down the elevator to get in that thing."

Monday, on the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio, Thomas said he got caught up in the moment as a former Miami player.

"Anybody who knows me knows I played the game of football with my heart on my sleeve," Thomas said. "Unfortunately for me during the fight I got a little hyped up. In no way do I condone fighting."

Miami and Florida International have campuses 9 miles apart in Miami-Dade County. It was the first meeting between the two programs, and the Hurricanes went on to win 35-0.

As the fight slowed, Thomas' comments continued.

"I say, why don't they just meet outside in the tunnel after the ball game and get it on some more? You don't come into the OB, baby," Thomas said. "We've had a down couple years but you don't come in here talking smack. Not in our house."

A tape of the fight, including Thomas' comments, was available on the Internet on Sunday and Monday. The game was available for viewing Saturday night on a pay-per-view basis.

"We do not support or condone any of the comments that were made by Lamar," Fuhrman said after the incident.

The comments will be edited out before the game is replayed later this week.

Thomas was a third-round draft pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1993 and spent six seasons in the NFL, three with the Bucs and three with the Miami Dolphins.

He has a Gainesville address, but there was no listed telephone number for him in that area. He could not be reached Monday.

Fuhrman said CSS consulted with Miami officials before determining what action needed to be taken. Miami recommends on-air personnel for its broadcasts, Fuhrman said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Good. About as unprofessional as you can get. Listening to it, you get the feeling if he were down on the sidelines he might've jumped in the fight too.

I love Lamar Thomas I love UM Football but that was just irresponsible and brought back the thug perception of UM. Set the program back almost 20 yrs it has been cleaning up its image. Lamar has no place in a broadcast booth not with that mentality. Wish Lamar the best

He was obviously joking, he's saying what any miami fan would say who wasnt on tv. It was irrisponsible to say on the air, but what needs to change is the restrictions on what can be said by the media. In a few years every analyst is going to be reading off a list of cliches, if they are't already. Is there anybody who REALLY feels bothered by what he said. I bet you can find alot more who found it humerous, and if you have a sense of humor you'd know he was trying to make light of the situation. I hope he gets a job somewhere else, he didnt deserve to lose his job over that, but thats just some random stoner from South Floridas opinion.

are you kidding me??

There's a huge bench-clearing brawl where players are swinging helmets, guys are out there on crutches, and people are surrounding guys on the ground, stomping on them.... and Lamar Thomas decides it's funny and pulls the pompous "YEAH! You come into our house wit dat attitude you get yo ass kicked!" angle, and you found nothing wrong with it?

There was no "restriction on the media" here. It's not against the law to say what he did. It's the network deciding that it was unacceptable. Which it was. If I was watching the game with a friend of mine who said that, I'd think it was just as pathetic.

anyone hear what Dan Patrick has been saying the past 2 days? Saying "thats what happens when you recruit these types of players"

could there be a more racist comment out there?

and in all seriousness, the term "thug" as used by most of the national media is just another slang for the n-word, is it not?

anyone hear what Dan Patrick has been saying the past 2 days? Saying "thats what happens when you recruit these types of players"

could there be a more racist comment out there?

and in all seriousness, the term "thug" as used by most of the national media is just another slang for the n-word, is it not?

lol

I know, and to have that perception you obviosuly believe thugs are black players. I know thug to not mean that, and to mean any hoodlum person - white, black asian, indian, etc.

Were there not white players involved in that fight?

Sure there were some white players, but the players doing the acts with the helmets and stomping on people were the black players. 90% of the people involved appear to be black.

He is following Dan Lebartard's reasoning of how Baseball, Hockey, most other football teams dont get their players called "thugs" when in fights like this. clemson/SC fight, UF/FSU fight, or I could name numerous others. Only the UM inner city (mostly) kids are seemed to often be called thugs.

Either way, you all can debate it. But rather not see another thread closed down and all once more locked up.

I think UM is getting more blame then they should in the fight. Both teams deserve equal blame and the idiot anouncer was fired. now just need coker gone

BBBD to UM!

Sometimes you would think the UM players were out there fighting on their own. I understand fewer people care about FIU but the disparity in criticism is a bit much. From what I?ve seen, heard and read the fight was started by FIU players. I?m not excusing any of the nastiness that followed because much of what I saw was disgusting but apparently players are only ?thugs? when they play for UM. Much of this is based on history and I understand that but as far as this incident goes there was no ?bully.?

[/b]I think UM is getting more blame then they should in the fight. Both teams deserve equal blame and the idiot anouncer was fired. now just need coker gone

BBBD to UM!

I didn't watch the game but from what I've read and heard most in the local media (and Admin Coker) say FIU started it. I guess UM has really bad luck because teams are always "starting" it against them given that they get into more such incidents that any other school but apparently it's never their fault given that Admin has supposedly done such a good job cleaning the program.

I dont know, maybe Im totally wrong here. And maybe its because most of the players are black in this circumstance. I just think "thug" is the new word for the n-word when it comes to these announcers.

Ramp is absolutely correct in what he is hinting at. I know exactly what your getting at Fox but Ramp is right.

The white sports show hosts/talking heads that have been commenting on this brawl are using the word "thug" in place of the N-Bomb. They know they can say "thug" without losing their jobs and they know they are one N-Bomb away from bagging groceries.

The Thomas firing is actually very simple. His EMPLOYER deemed that his comments were grossly unprofessional and they chose to terminate him as an EMPLOYEE.

Yea.. Miami is the victim here. Give me a break. The team is full of idiot thugs.. and if you think thats racist, whatever, because its not. Its been obvious for years Miami could give two shits about a players character just as long as he can play ball... and for Miami to say they "won't tolerate that behavior" is absolutely hysterical. FIU kicked players off the team. Miami's absolutely gross behavior directly reflects the coaching and administration... and until something changes there, it's all going to stay the same. The sad thing is, once they start winning national titles again, the character issues wont even be an issue because winning is all that matters.. its just a shame we have to have a near riot for these character issues to be brought to the national forefront.