Another sign Willy Taveras may be available...

sgleason02

I know some people don't think too highly of mlbtraderumors.com, but I read this and thought I'd throw it out for the sake of discussion.

"Justice: Astros To Sign Carlos Lee?

On his SportsJustice blog, Houston Chronicle writer Richard Justice seems pretty adamant that the Astros are going to sign slugger Carlos Lee.

My Astros team outlook has the team with roughly $30MM to spend. If Luke Scott can play right field, I wouldn't disagree with a Lee signing. This will leave Tim Purpura with about $15MM to spread amongst two starting pitchers and perhaps a catcher. I could see Pettitte for $10MM and Woody Williams for $5MMish. Trade Willy Taveras for something useful, and I think the Astros will be in decent shape for 2007."

Take it how you like, it's not much of an indication, just thought I'd throw it up on the board out of boredom.

What does this have to do with the Marlins? Shouldn't this go in MLB Forum?

I don't what anything to do with Taveras.

Well, here is what this has to do with the Marlins:

1)He's a CF, and we are lacking a CF.

2)The Marlins showed some interest in him around the trade deadline this season.

3)He's only 25, with a career .284 batting average, good speed, and a .988 career fielding percentage.

4)That article states that the Astros are looking for pitching, something the Marlins have a surplus of.

Maybe that will help connect the dots.

:D

I'd take it...

I have no idea what exactly are the Astros' needs, but if they need a 5th starter we might be able to sell them on Mitre (remember he pitched well against them in his first start in 06, not too unlike the way he shut us out in 05, then we took him) + maybe a Petit or other not-completely developed arms. We would be losing much here either since Mitre doesn't seem to really do much well in the Pen.

OK, I don't really follow the Stros much, so can someone please explain to me what is so bad about Taveras?

Not the offensive force that someone like Hanley is, but his numbers don't look that bad, and looking at his highlights (I'll admit that makes it a little biased) it definately looks like he can cover some ground and *gasp* has a pretty good arm as well.

OK, I don't really follow the Stros much, so can someone please explain to me what is so bad about Taveras?

Not the offensive force that someone like Hanley is, but his numbers don't look that bad, and looking at his highlights (I'll admit that makes it a little biased) it definately looks like he can cover some ground and *gasp* has a pretty good arm as well.

Tavares has no power, and doesn't walk a tremendous ammount and therefore isn't as productive as many other players the Marlins should be looking at. That said, he is 25, improves his SO/BB ratio every year, and can really play CF. Also, the large field at DS should favor him and let him improve his batting average and doubles / triples totals. If he could be had for the 2nd rank of Marlins pitching prospects, even 2 of them, he would fit nicely as the 7 hitter.

Tavares has no power, and doesn't walk a tremendous ammount and therefore isn't as productive as many other players the Marlins should be looking at. That said, he is 25, improves his SO/BB ratio every year, and can really play CF. Also, the large field at DS should favor him and let him improve his batting average and doubles / triples totals. If he could be had for the 2nd rank of Marlins pitching prospects, even 2 of them, he would fit nicely as the 7 hitter.

I would rather have Amezaga as our CF then Taveras. I Compared there stats Amezaga has more power.

I would rather have Amezaga as our CF then Taveras. I Compared there stats Amezaga has more power.

OBP wise he is (albeit slightly) better than any other CF option we have in house, with a better Avg. As far as comparing him to Amezaga, I can't imagine preferring AA. Niether guy can use power as a selling point, but at least Taveras can hit acceptably vs LHP. I can somewhat understand not listing him as a dream pick for CF, but if Amezaga is the only alternative, I don't think you can pick him over Taveras.

for the right deal, meaning lower level pitching prospects i would take him. but the Marlins will explore alot more options before thinking about him.

i just like his speed and what he can do in CF.

Tavares is a better option than anything we have in house. But then again we have no options in house.

for the right deal, meaning lower level pitching prospects i would take him. but the Marlins will explore alot more options before thinking about him.

Tavares is a better option than anything we have in house. But then again we have no options in house.

unless the price is minimal (which it wouldnt be), Id much rather stick with Amezega/Ross in CF....which also wont happen.

unless the price is minimal (which it wouldnt be), Id much rather stick with Amezega/Ross in CF....which also wont happen.

I guess depends on what you consider minimal. We only have so many spots for pitchers (especially starting pitchers) on the ML roster. We wouldn't be doing much damage to the team in place if we gave up a Mitre and/or Vargas in a larger deal.

Loathe as I am to agree with you know who, the fact is neither Mitre or Vargas have any trade value at this point, at least when it comes to acquiring a ML everyday player. Both need good Winter League and/or spring training efforts to restablish any market for their services.

But at the same time, both may have more value to the Marlins than anywhere else. If either or both can prove they can pitch effectively at the major league level again, it goes a long way towards filling in some of the missing pieces of the bullpen, namely long relief and situational needs, so that Pinto and Tankersley have an opportunity to pitch exclusively in setup and closer roles.

Not saying they will, or even that they can, but if Vargas (and Mitre as well) can put behind him whatever it was that derailed him last season, I'm still optimistic he can have a decent major league career.