Offseason rumor thread

Fishfan79

perhaps we can pinn this?

Since there is going to be 50 million articles about us trading miggy or willis, trading for different playrs from arod to baldelli to crawford and who knows whom else. I suggest we put them all together into this place here like we did 1 thread durring the deadline. This way folks in the forum that dont want to read it can just ignore the 1,000,001 rumors.

Center field, bullpen are main targets

October 22

Palm Beach Post: "Baseball sources said the Marlins particularly are interested in center fielders Chris Duffy of Pittsburgh, Willy Taveras of Houston and Matt Kemp of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Two Tampa Bay outfielders, center fielder Rocco Baldelli and controversial prospect Elijah Dukes, also could be targets."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...rlins_1022.html

What Mets must do to get World serious

October 22

New York Daily News: "Angels 16-game winner Ervin Santana could be dealt this offseason, but L.A. is looking for an established star such as Miguel Tejada in return, not prospects. And then of course there's still Dontrelle Willis, but would the Marlins really trade their ace to the Mets?"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...2p-390413c.html

Marlins may lose Helms

October 22

Miami Herald (scroll down) (registration required): "The Marlins made an offer to Wes Helms, but it likely won't be enough to keep him from testing free agency."

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ll/15818857.htm

Questions Already Burning In Mets' Minds

October 22

New York Post (registration required): "If the Mets don't sign Jason Schmidt or Daisuke Matsuzaka or bring Dontrelle Willis here in a swap, maybe Freddy Garcia of the White Sox is a trade possibility."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10222006/sport...s_mark_hale.htm

Time's Right To Trade Heilman

October 21

New York Post (registration required): "Offer that Heilman/Milledge package to Florida (which needs a center fielder and a closer) for Dontrelle Willis; to Baltimore (Orioles GM Jim Duquette was with the Mets when Heilman and Milledge were drafted) for Erik Bedard; and to San Diego for Jake Peavy, and see if there is the making of a deal before delving into other markets."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10212006/sport...oel_sherman.htm

Minaya to Build Mets in the Braves? Image

October 20

New York Times (registration required): "Zito could benefit from pitching in the National League, and he has a good relationship with Rick Peterson, the Mets? pitching coach. But he may not be the answer. The Mets could dangle Milledge in a package for the Marlins? Dontrelle Willis, who could add extra pizazz to one of baseball?s most exciting rosters."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/20/sports/b...6BHf+wcm/wWPq3g

Mets' shopping list

October 21

Bergen Record (registration required): "Free agents Barry Zito and Jason Schmidt will get a look, but figure Omar Minaya will try to coax the Marlins into another salary dump -- this time for Dontrelle Willis."

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

There have been about a dozen more over the past few days and will get more and more so never know. I will start to post the full articles up in the future.

normally how half of the "rumors" out there often start. It gets said in the NY Papers then ESPN picks it up next and lord knows what will happen next.

But seriously my suggestion is merging all of the 1001 offseason trade threads togeher into one to use :) . It keeps the place less cluttered and those folks that dont want to read it (remember some did complain before), wont half to :)

October 22

Palm Beach Post: "Baseball sources said the Marlins particularly are interested in center fielders Chris Duffy of Pittsburgh, Willy Taveras of Houston and Matt Kemp of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Two Tampa Bay outfielders, center fielder Rocco Baldelli and controversial prospect Elijah Dukes, also could be targets."

Crawford and Baldelli have been mentioned alot but why not go after a 22 year old centerfield who stats are .253 7 23 30 6

in just 52 games he seems to have some power hes young and LA would ask for much in return I think he could project to be a good centerfield

October 22

Has anyone read up on Eli Dukes ? I just searched on the internet, and I'd say stay FAR FAR FAR away from that guy ! He is trouble waiting to happen, no need for that dispruter on the team. We have a gelling chemistry on the team that doesn't need that crapbag full of problems :banghead

October 22

Crawford and Baldelli have been mentioned alot but why not go after a 22 year old centerfield who stats are .253 7 23 30 6

in just 52 games he seems to have some power hes young and LA would ask for much in return I think he could project to be a good centerfield

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...&pid=461314

He has amazing power but cant hit the breaking ball stuff. That is why he was sent back down. But if you can teach him to get that breaking balls better he could be a great CF for us.

October 22

Has anyone read up on Eli Dukes ? I just searched on the internet, and I'd say stay FAR FAR FAR away from that guy ! He is trouble waiting to happen, no need for that dispruter on the team. We have a gelling chemistry on the team that doesn't need that crapbag full of problems :banghead

It seems we now have 2 thread reference this article...My suggestion instead of one thread we should have a separate posting grouping "Hot Stove League " is a very popular term It will be active from here to spring training Once The Winter Meetings starts it will explode in reference to rumours and articles. One Thread is totally impractical. We will begin to hear rumours by the dozens daily

Reference to Elijah Dukes he appears to have a world of talent but always appears to find himself in a world of trouble. As I had said before I compare him to Carl Everett who is a freakin nut but has had a very productive career. I have no problem with having Dukes on our team. If he become a clubhouse cancer if he is talented enough someone will always want him on their roster.

A) Ramp has it right, these are mostly ideas concocted in the NY press and b) by next March they will repeat their Dontrelle in a Mets uni fantasy more times than we could count.

I almost think we should have a separate thread for "stuff regarding Dontrelle from NY papers". What I really like is how an accross the board disappointment like Milledge is getting touted like crazy ("the only way he's traded is for Dontrelle..." blah blah blah) when Minaya would take a lot, lot less for him and everyone knows it. It's not by accident you're seeing him mentioned (and again it's just by the NY media) as part of a package, because on his own his value has fallen significantly.

Great news for Willis hater! Oh wait, you already read a familiar article, my bad.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/10/latest_mets_buz.html

"The Mets still like outfielder Lastings Milledge even with the problems he's had in the clubhouse. The only way he'd be dealt is if Dontrelle Willis comes in return" That quote is really pissing me off the Mets dont have enough to get Willis

Milledge is still a wonderful prospect...We are just not giving up the D-Train for him. BTW is Heilman a better prospect than Nolasco? I haven't seen much of Heilman but my immediate impression would be We are just as well with Nolasco if not better. We can build our bullpen on our own without trading DT no reason for a trade of this type

Boy, I was all against that Dukes guy, but I just looked him up, and even with his off-field track record, I think we should give him a look. Everyone says this guy is a potential five-tool player. We may not have to give up much of anything in return, with the Rays' over-abundance of outfielders. It almost sounds to me like he's not getting enough attention. Shoot, lets bring him in, throw him out in CF, and tell him he's here now, people are watching, be on your best behavior or you're out. I would expect if we did bring him in, management would have an understanding with him, that he's on thin ice. I am in no way saying I agree with his off-field actions, but I think he would do fine if he came in and was given a chance to show his maturity.

We may not have to give up much of anything in return, with the Rays' over-abundance of outfielders.

if the rays had 10 major league star outfielders they would not let one go away cheap. remember this is the team that wanted olsen a guy with number 1 starter potential for a gathright who has one tool. no way we get him without giving something of equal value up

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/10/marl...omment-24235598

more interesting is their talking about the possible Baldelli to the marlins or Dukes to the marlins.

I would love either of them as Dukes is a top 20 prospect if he can get his head on straight and Baldelli projects amazing.

Boy, I was all against that Dukes guy, but I just looked him up, and even with his off-field track record, I think we should give him a look. Everyone says this guy is a potential five-tool player. We may not have to give up much of anything in return, with the Rays' over-abundance of outfielders. It almost sounds to me like he's not getting enough attention. Shoot, lets bring him in, throw him out in CF, and tell him he's here now, people are watching, be on your best behavior or you're out. I would expect if we did bring him in, management would have an understanding with him, that he's on thin ice. I am in no way saying I agree with his off-field actions, but I think he would do fine if he came in and was given a chance to show his maturity.

yep, Fox Sports top 100 had him at the edge of the top 25 and stated that if he wasnt a problem he would be alot higher up near Delmon.

This kid has amazing talent! Absolutely stunning talent and is major league ready.

I dont think Lastings' value has dropped at all

It really hasnt gone any higher except in the eyes of Mut fans

How much higher can it go? The guy is all of 21 years old

Well...he could've hit above 250 I suppose, and had a few more spots on web gems than on blooper reels while falling over the OF.

Not saying he's a bust, but if things went differently, I might actually look at him and say "I really wish we had that guy". And I have to say, I don't, and I doubt many non-Mets fans do either.

I dont think Lastings' value has dropped at all

It really hasnt gone any higher except in the eyes of Mut fans

How much higher can it go? The guy is all of 21 years old

Well...he could've hit above 250 I suppose, and had a few more spots on web gems than on blooper reels while falling over the OF.

Not saying he's a bust, but if things went differently, I might actually look at him and say "I really wish we had that guy". And I have to say, I don't, and I doubt many non-Mets fans do either.

well maybe you dont want him as much as you would have, but in the eyes of GMs, his value hasnt changed

Lastings would solve our CF problems. I don't want to give up D-Train, but the reality is that D-Train is going to be moved. He simply is going to make too much. The reports estimate that our payroll won't surpass $25 million...that's a near impossibility considering some have projected about $12 million for just Miggy and D-Train. If you're going to trade him, I wouldn't mind getting back a 21 year-old freakish talent who would instantly upgrade our CF position and who won't earn any big-time money for at least another 4 years.

Lastings would solve our CF problems. I don't want to give up D-Train, but the reality is that D-Train is going to be moved. He simply is going to make too much. The reports estimate that our payroll won't surpass $25 million...that's a near impossibility considering some have projected about $12 million for just Miggy and D-Train. If you're going to trade him, I wouldn't mind getting back a 21 year-old freakish talent who would instantly upgrade our CF position and who won't earn any big-time money for at least another 4 years.

actually for next season its really not that hard if the payroll is $25 million because then the club has 13 million to pay everyone else which is more than they had this year