October 24, 200619 yr Author I want to personally thank all of you guys, so here it goes.... Congratulations! You have been talking about this for a very long time. Take Care. Thanks Good Luck Accord. I remember the days we would play MVP 2004 or 2005. The crappy lag would always ruin our games and then we'd both start playing cheap. Thanks man... haha, those were definitely good times. Im with your dad, stay safe! Its been fun, and good luck where ever you get shipped! Ive still got the 04 tribute! Thanks Congratulations, dude. We need more people like you. Especially now. Thanks Dudez take care good luck out there Thanks Congrats! Hope all goes well for you. We support you 100 % Thanks No need for a take care message now, you've got 3 months to screw around, but I will offer to take care of your STI once you go overseas. :thumbup Well, I will need someone to drive it about once a week for 30 miles or so :shifty . Wow dude.. Congrats.. My brother-in-law is a Marine, stationed in Okinawa, Japan. He's been there with my little sister for the past couple of years.... Best of luck to ya and stay safe... Thanks. Yeah, i'm not sure if i'm going to put Oki as my top choice on my wish list or not at SOI. I think it would definitely be cool to live there, you do get a lot of opportunities at Oki that you don't get elsewhere in the fleet, like training with the British Royal Marines and the ROK Marines and whatnot. Good luck, man. It's nice to see someone who truly believes in a cause and is actually doing something about it. If more people were like you and acted like they spoke, this world would be a better place. Thanks
October 24, 200619 yr Author Good luck. It's tough but worth it. Just a word of wisdom, talk to any current Marines you may know. Go in with this information: - Know your General Orders. - Know how to fold your socks. :mischief - Don't pack ANY civilian clothes besides the clothes on your back and 1 change. You will not see them. - If you don't have one, GET A CHECKING ACCOUNT NOW. Have that info in your wallet. - Have PREADDRESSED postcards for your family and friends. Send those suckers out the day you find out your Company's post address. It is amazing how much of a difference some correspondence from "The World" makes on your state of mind. - Ask everyone to REFRAIN FROM SENDING GOODIES. Good luck. Don't break yourself and become a recycle... Thanks man. I've already got my general orders down, even the 12th one... to walk my post from flank to flank and not take sh*t from any rank :mischief . We're not allowed to bring anything except our social security card, a 10 dollar bill, a small address book, and the clothes on our back. When I was at MEPS there were a bunch of shippers and this one guy who was shipping to boot was wearing a Marine Corps shirt with the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on it which would result in him becoming the personal bitch of his drill instructors once he arrived since he didn't earn the right to wear that EGA yet, so I swapped my red polo shirt with him so he would be good to go and all the recruiters there were like "Yeah, that's what i'm talking about, already looking out for your brothers!" :thumbup . I'm going to have my mom mail me news clippings of the recaps of Panthers and Heat games from the newspaper and any big news that might be going on in the world. Every new Marine that i've met said coming out of bootcamp it felt like they were in a 3 month long coma totally detached from the world and they came out of it, you have no concept of time except sun up and sun down and you have no idea about anything going on in the world. I can just see it now, i'll be gone for 3 months with no idea what's going on in the real world, and then come back home on my 10 days of leave after graduating and go to a Marlins game and see Pujols hitting 3rd with Barry Bonds hitting cleanup and Roger Clemens as our opening day starter :lol . I think the question on everyone's mind is how did the shoes look!?!?!?! They were great :thumbup I think the question on everyone's mind is how did the shoes look!?!?!?! They were great :thumbup Congrats to you Accord. :thumbup Thanks Congrats, thanks for serving the country and good luck. Thanks Admin Congrats, stay safe, good luck & thank you! Thanks You've been talking about this for a long time. Congrats and good luck! Stay safe! Thanks Wow man congratulations, i bet its a huge honor to be part of the Marines. Its amazing how I, and im sure i wasn't the only one, used to take the military for granted, but ever since 9/11 i've realized its thank to you guys that we can sleep safe and calmed knowing our country is being protected. Congrats again, and good luck soldier! Thanks man
October 24, 200619 yr Good work Accord. Congratulations. From the sound of it, you've put so much work into attaining this goal that you certainly deserve it. I'm sure you'll do our country proud.
October 25, 200619 yr Author Accord, I looked hard into the Marines when I was in high school - I didn't end up enlisting but I gained a lot of respect from what I learned about them. Congratulations on taking the oath! I wish you the best of luck from here on out. Do you plan on making a career in the Marines? Thanks. Yes, I do hope to make it a career, there are just so many cool things in the Corps that I want to do, but it would be impossible without making it a career such as Embassy Duty - It's 3 years long and you serve at 3 embassies for 12 months each, your first embassy is normally a "hardship" tour in some absolute sh*t hole somewhere in the middle east, the horn of Africa, etc. and basically it's just you and 5 other Marines who are responsible for the safety and security of the American embassy, the American employees and citizens at the embassy, and the American soil which the embassy is built on... the best part? Backup could be a thousand miles away. Your last tour on embassy duty is always at a nice place like Italy, Australia, or some place along those lines. I also think it would be amazing to become a drill instructor once picking up Sergeant. DI duty is also a 3 year long tour, It's one thing to BE a Marine, but to have the responsibility and opportunity to actually MAKE Marines, there's just nothing like it. That is also a 3 year tour, but it takes a certain person to become a DI, being a little crazy has got to be a prerequisite :lol . These are just two examples of special duties in the Marine Corps. Whether I do 4 years or a full 20 year career, I want to go into come kind of law enforcement afterwards, I just can't see myself doing anything else or sitting behind a desk. If I do make the Corps a career, I would retire at the ripe old age of just 41 years old, and being a retired Gunny would be pretty fricken cool. I'd still be young enough to begin a second career, most LE agencies such as PBSO and whatnot will waive their age limits for those who were in the military, however I would be too old for any federal agencies, the age limit is 37. Going on Embassy Duty as a Marine is pretty much a guarantee to land a job with the Bureau of Diplomatic Security once you get out (as long as you're out before 37), so if I chose that route I wouldn't be able to stay in long enough to retire. Fantastic. Good luck and I have so much respect for people that serve this country, Thank you. Thanks Congrats. Thanks Congrats, I know how much this means to you. Thanks Congrats! I wish you the very best! Thanks Outstanding. A few weeks before you report, go get a massage and take a weekend off and do something you really enjoy. You'll be happy you did when your 3 weeks into bootcamp. LOL I'm not down for massages unless there's a happy ending involved :whistle :lol Taking a weekend off and doing something I enjoy = spending all day at the range shooting all my guns, and I think i'll be getting plenty of that :lol . Thanks man. :thumbup
October 25, 200619 yr Author I just got home from signing my actual job contract... Infantry with the Marine Recon option, it guarantee's me the opportunity to take the indoc (tryout) for Marine Recon when i'm at the School of Infantry after I graduate from boot camp. If I make it through the indoc then I continue on to Amphibious Recon School, airborne school, SERE school, Navy scuba, and a whole host of other schools along those lines... and if I don't make it through the indoc then i'm regular USMC Infantry which is the tip of the spear, so it's a win-win situation. I know I can pass the indoc, because i've trained for all the various events and have passed them in several mock indocs already and after boot camp I will be in even better shape than i'm already in right now. I am so f***ing excited.
October 25, 200619 yr I just got home from signing my actual job contract... Infantry with the Marine Recon option, it guarantee's me the opportunity to take the indoc (tryout) for Marine Recon when i'm at the School of Infantry after I graduate from boot camp. If I make it through the indoc then I continue on to Amphibious Recon School, airborne school, SERE school, Navy scuba, and a whole host of other schools along those lines... and if I don't make it through the indoc then i'm regular USMC Infantry which is the tip of the spear, so it's a win-win situation. I know I can pass the indoc, because i've trained for all the various events and have passed them in several mock indocs already and after boot camp I will be in even better shape than i'm already in right now. I am so f***ing excited. I just interviewed a Marine, and a friuend of my brothers for our school's paper. He is in Infanty, and volunteered for recon. The guy was cool, he had two tours in Iraq, just got back from Ramatti, and was in Faluja for the big battle. He signed on for a 4 years. He didnt think very highly of those soldiers who wanted to leave before their time was up, and said that they knew when they signed on that they would be at war, and they have to see it through, whether they serve for 7 months or 10 in a year. Once his contract is up, he says he would have served his time. I thought it was interesting that he was a lot like you. He had wanted to go for years, finally did, and is completely ready for where he gets sent. He did say though that he sees soldiers as policing the country, and that if upto him, he would get our troops out, as once their gone, the militia leaders will fight for power, and one will win. I dont think he said it was winnable. Overall it was just really interesting, and he seems to be in your shoes, tell me what you think
October 25, 200619 yr No need for a take care message now, you've got 3 months to screw around, but I will offer to take care of your STI once you go overseas. :thumbup Well, I will need someone to drive it about once a week for 30 miles or so :shifty . Well, just keep me in mind. :lol Congrats on signing your contract. Just curious, where would you ideally be if you made it through all those trainings?
October 25, 200619 yr Author I just got home from signing my actual job contract... Infantry with the Marine Recon option, it guarantee's me the opportunity to take the indoc (tryout) for Marine Recon when i'm at the School of Infantry after I graduate from boot camp. If I make it through the indoc then I continue on to Amphibious Recon School, airborne school, SERE school, Navy scuba, and a whole host of other schools along those lines... and if I don't make it through the indoc then i'm regular USMC Infantry which is the tip of the spear, so it's a win-win situation. I know I can pass the indoc, because i've trained for all the various events and have passed them in several mock indocs already and after boot camp I will be in even better shape than i'm already in right now. I am so f***ing excited. I just interviewed a Marine, and a friuend of my brothers for our school's paper. He is in Infanty, and volunteered for recon. The guy was cool, he had two tours in Iraq, just got back from Ramatti, and was in Faluja for the big battle. He signed on for a 4 years. He didnt think very highly of those soldiers who wanted to leave before their time was up, and said that they knew when they signed on that they would be at war, and they have to see it through, whether they serve for 7 months or 10 in a year. Once his contract is up, he says he would have served his time. I thought it was interesting that he was a lot like you. He had wanted to go for years, finally did, and is completely ready for where he gets sent. He did say though that he sees soldiers as policing the country, and that if upto him, he would get our troops out, as once their gone, the militia leaders will fight for power, and one will win. I dont think he said it was winnable. Overall it was just really interesting, and he seems to be in your shoes, tell me what you think I'm going to be brutally honest here, and I hope I don't catch any sh*t for it. I want to be a war veteran, I want to be a part of history, and 60 years from now I want to be able to tell me grandkids "I was there" when they're in history class learning about this. I know it's selfish for me to think this way but anytime I hear some politician on the news calling for an immediate withdrawl I just can't help but think to myself "No f***ing way, I want my chance to go over there and get some." It's selfish, but that's the way I feel. I want to go to Iraq and I want to see combat and I want to fight. Should we be there? Should we pullout? Should we try and rebuild the country? I don't really give a sh*t to tell you the truth, I just want to get over there and I want to fight. The Marine Corps exists for one purpose, and that is to fight, and that is exactly what I want to do. When I heard Bush say that we will be in Iraq until at least through 2008 and for as long as he is the president, I was elated, and the only reason I was happy to hear that was because I knew we wouldn't be pulling out before I got my opportunity to go. No need for a take care message now, you've got 3 months to screw around, but I will offer to take care of your STI once you go overseas. :thumbup Well, I will need someone to drive it about once a week for 30 miles or so :shifty . Well, just keep me in mind. :lol Congrats on signing your contract. Just curious, where would you ideally be if you made it through all those trainings? Best case scenario is I would be a Recon Marine, the Fewer and the Prouder. Worst case scenario is that i'm still a United States Marine and an 0311 which is the heart and soul of the Marine Corps and my dream, so it's a win-win situation. The entire Marine Corps revolves around the 0311 Marine, every single other job exists to support the infantry. I just have to make it through the indoc and then Amphib Recon School which will be tough, the rest of the schools are tough but if you can make it through the Recon indoc and ARS, then the rest of it will be a cake walk.
October 25, 200619 yr I'm going to be brutally honest here, and I hope I don't catch any sh*t for it. I want to be a war veteran, I want to be a part of history, and 60 years from now I want to be able to tell me grandkids "I was there" when they're in history class learning about this. I know it's selfish for me to think this way but anytime I hear some politician on the news calling for an immediate withdrawl I just can't help but think to myself "No f***ing way, I want my chance to go over there and get some." It's selfish, but that's the way I feel. I want to go to Iraq and I want to see combat and I want to fight. I don't want to start a flame war, but I wonder whether Vietnam vets and anyone who is over there right now would agree with you. Well, only time will tell, and time always influences opinions, whether one way or another. I knew someone who boarded with my parents for a while (he was my sister's ex-boyfriend, his mother was dead, his father was in California, and he hated his step-mother) who was a Marine who just snapped one day, albeit from a provocation. He was looking for the discipline the service provided, but it backfired. He even told me some nasty stuff about what happened when he was "over there" (where, I'm not even going to say, lest he get in trouble for saying, but I have a feeling you know). Anyways, what I'm trying to say is good luck, keep your head on straight, and try to make a good impression on the locals in Iraq, b/c once they find out you're an ardent Jew and Zionist, that might be the end of you if you aren't on good terms with someone.
October 26, 200619 yr I'm going to be brutally honest here, and I hope I don't catch any sh*t for it. I want to be a war veteran, I want to be a part of history, and 60 years from now I want to be able to tell me grandkids "I was there" when they're in history class learning about this. I know it's selfish for me to think this way but anytime I hear some politician on the news calling for an immediate withdrawl I just can't help but think to myself "No f***ing way, I want my chance to go over there and get some." It's selfish, but that's the way I feel. I want to go to Iraq and I want to see combat and I want to fight. Should we be there? Should we pullout? Should we try and rebuild the country? I don't really give a sh*t to tell you the truth, I just want to get over there and I want to fight. The Marine Corps exists for one purpose, and that is to fight, and that is exactly what I want to do. When I heard Bush say that we will be in Iraq until at least through 2008 and for as long as he is the president, I was elated, and the only reason I was happy to hear that was because I knew we wouldn't be pulling out before I got my opportunity to go. I've said it many times, you truly have a twisted view of reality.
October 26, 200619 yr I think as a marine you don't have to go to Iraq to see 'action'. Either way, good luck and be safe.
October 26, 200619 yr Congratulations on finally reaching your goal. Have fun the next the few months before you've gotta go.
October 26, 200619 yr I'm going to be brutally honest here, and I hope I don't catch any sh*t for it. I want to be a war veteran, I want to be a part of history, and 60 years from now I want to be able to tell me grandkids "I was there" when they're in history class learning about this. I know it's selfish for me to think this way but anytime I hear some politician on the news calling for an immediate withdrawl I just can't help but think to myself "No f***ing way, I want my chance to go over there and get some." It's selfish, but that's the way I feel. I want to go to Iraq and I want to see combat and I want to fight. Nothing wrong with going over and killing some towel heads
October 26, 200619 yr I'm going to be brutally honest here, and I hope I don't catch any sh*t for it. I want to be a war veteran, I want to be a part of history, and 60 years from now I want to be able to tell me grandkids "I was there" when they're in history class learning about this. I know it's selfish for me to think this way but anytime I hear some politician on the news calling for an immediate withdrawl I just can't help but think to myself "No f***ing way, I want my chance to go over there and get some." It's selfish, but that's the way I feel. I want to go to Iraq and I want to see combat and I want to fight. Nothing wrong with going over and killing some towel heads So tell me, did it take you years to reach enlightenment or were born with such wisdom and understanding?
October 28, 200619 yr Gah, Im in the air force right now. Let me just say that, while it has its upside, Im definetly hating it right now. Good luck to you, just dont go expecting the world, cause trust me, tough times lie ahead.
October 28, 200619 yr I want to be a war veteran, I want to be a part of history, and 60 years from now I want to be able to tell me grandkids "I was there" when they're in history class learning about this. There aren't many people who have seen actual combat that would agree with you. It's one thing to sit behind a computer playing Counter Strike or whatever, it's another thing entirely to have to open fire on a 12-year-old girl with a grenade in her hand. I'll just leave it at that. Good luck to you, just dont go expecting the world, cause trust me, tough times lie ahead. He isn't kidding. Don't worry, soldier, the first 10 weeks will knock that piss and vinegar out of your system! :thumbup
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.