I took the oath!

Accord

I, John XXXXXX do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same and that I will obey the orders of the president of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me according to regulations and the uniform code of military justice. So help me God........

I did it, I finally took the oath today. Man it's been a long time coming for me to finally get to this point. My dad started sobbing and was like "you'll be safe John right??? promise me you'll be safe" and I was like "I can't promise that dad" and man it was f***ing emotional, i'm not good at things like that.

Now I just have to keep working out and I ship to Parris Island on January 8th. I can't wait until I graduate and earn the title of United States Marine. I should graduate some time in mid-April, so that means when I come home on my 10 days of leave after boot camp i'll be able to go to a Marlins game in my dress blues.

I knew exactly what I was doing don't get me wrong but it just really didn't "hit me" until today how my life is going to be changing, i've basically be preparing for this for 3 years and now it's about to happen and it's just like "wow." As much as I disagree with some of you guys and whatnot i'm really gonna miss you guys that i've come to known over these past 2-3 years that i've been a member here. As much as it pains me to say it, i'm really gonna miss you Jimmy and FutureGM, lol, but you're stuck with me for another 2 months or so :D .

Good luck. It's tough but worth it.

Just a word of wisdom, talk to any current Marines you may know. Go in with this information:

- Know your General Orders.

- Know how to fold your socks. :mischief

- Don't pack ANY civilian clothes besides the clothes on your back and 1 change. You will not see them.

- If you don't have one, GET A CHECKING ACCOUNT NOW. Have that info in your wallet.

- Have PREADDRESSED postcards for your family and friends. Send those suckers out the day you find out your Company's post address. It is amazing how much of a difference some correspondence from "The World" makes on your state of mind.

- Ask everyone to REFRAIN FROM SENDING GOODIES.

Good luck. Don't break yourself and become a recycle...

Wow man congratulations, i bet its a huge honor to be part of the Marines. Its amazing how I, and im sure i wasn't the only one, used to take the military for granted, but ever since 9/11 i've realized its thank to you guys that we can sleep safe and calmed knowing our country is being protected. Congrats again, and good luck soldier!

Accord, I looked hard into the Marines when I was in high school - I didn't end up enlisting but I gained a lot of respect from what I learned about them. Congratulations on taking the oath! I wish you the best of luck from here on out. Do you plan on making a career in the Marines?