December 8, 200619 yr Gagne is represented by Scott Boras, so he's gonna be trying to play financial hardball, but... I think he'd take a deal that was highly incentive based. We might be able to afford him, might be the only guy we can afford IMO. What do you guys think?
December 8, 200619 yr He's a free-agent, although his health is suspect. I still believe he would be worth a shot if it was for less than $1 mil.
December 8, 200619 yr A source with direct knowledge of negotiations between the Red Sox and free agent Eric Gagne told the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes that there is nothing pending. Gagne is believed to want at least $5 million guaranteed for 2007. Reports have indicated that he's only interested in a one-year deal, as he wants to go back on the market next winter. Source: Rotoworld. Yeah, no chance.
December 8, 200619 yr I'd love the move but I think teams are gonna be willing to spend more than we would risk.
December 8, 200619 yr Giving Gagne $5 mil is crazy but I think the Red Sox will do it. If we could get him for a way lower price Id be all for that.
December 8, 200619 yr 5M is on the low end....reports swirling the winter meetings this week were that Boras was looking for up to 10M for a one-year deal for Gagne
December 8, 200619 yr I would be very, very surprised if he gets $5 mil. In any other offseason I would agree, but this offseason has been crazy with teams overpaying for mediocre players, so Gagne getting $5 million at least is very realistic especially with Bora$ as his agent.
December 8, 200619 yr Gagne would be a great risk at 1 MIL but we reports are that teams may give him 5 MIL gaur. and an extra 5 in incentives... NO WAY IN HELL i give him 10 MIL... Therefore.. PASS!!!
December 8, 200619 yr No way, offering guaranteed money to an injured pitcher is too risky. He'd be lucky if he even gets 3 mill, only team I see who can desperately pursue him is Detroit and Texas!
December 8, 200619 yr well it's been pretty apparent that money is not an issue for teams like the Cubs, Sox, and Yanks, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got something like a 1 year $10 million contract.
December 8, 200619 yr He had an offer from the Yankees to set up, but he wants to close. Apparently, there was an offer in the $10 million range for him to close. Given the Dotel signing (and the Meche signing) my gut tells me that offer was likely from the Royals, hence his reluctance to sign. I wouldn't go anywhere near him with a guaranteed one year deal. If he wants guaranteed money, we're talking multiple years, and if it's a one year make good offer, no way in hell I'd guarantee over half of it. All he's going to do is use this deal as a stepping stone, I'd rather the Marlins not get used like that, especially when we've seen closer is hardly our hardest position to fill.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.