Curt Schilling Should Shut Up: Part 1,000,000

The Fan

Schilling, Papi on different sides of Bonds debate

ESPN,.com news services

The Boston Red Sox are conflicted over the Barry Bonds phenomenon.

ESPN Radio

Jayson Stark

Stark

Appearing on Mike and Mike in the Morning, Jayson Stark said that he admires Curt Schilling for speaking his mind but saying things that are factually wrong is a problem. Listen Insider

David Ortiz isn't convinced the slugger used illegal performance-enhancing drugs, but Curt Schilling has a decidedly different view: Bonds doesn't deserve to break Hank Aaron's home run record.

"I mean, he admitted that he used steroids," Schilling said during his weekly appearance on sports radio WEEI's "Dennis and Callahan" show. "I mean, there's no gray area. He admitted to cheating on his wife, cheating on his taxes, and cheating on the game, so I think the reaction around the league, the game, being what it is, in the case of what people think. Hank Aaron not being there. The commissioner [bud Selig] trying to figure out where to be. It's sad.

"And I don't care that he's black, or green, or purple, or yellow, or whatever. It's unfortunate ? there's good people and bad people. It's unfortunate that it's happening the way it's happening."

While Bonds hasn't exactly plead guilty to all of the sins Schilling lists, he has been judged harshly in the court of public opinion. Big Papi's not so sure, saying Bonds has talent no matter how you look at it.

"To hit the ball, the guy makes it look easy, but it ain't. I don't know how you can have that swing, consistently. I don't know how steroids can do that," Ortiz told the Boston Herald. "There are supposed to be guys using steroids in the game, and there's nobody close to Barry Bonds. What's that mean? He was using the best [stuff]? Know what I'm saying?"

The Red Sox designated hitter told the Herald that no one has proven that Bonds knowingly used steroids or other performance-enhancing substances -- and that even if it were proven, he's not sure it has made a difference.

"I don't look at it like that. I look at it hitting-wise, because I don't know what steroids can do to you as a baseball player. You've still got to swing the bat, man," Ortiz said. "If I ever use steroids, and then I know what the difference can be and I'm using them, I'll tell you, 'Yeah, whatever,' but I don't know what the feelings are when you use the steroids. But I can tell you how it feels to pull yourself together to swing the bat."

In fact, Ortiz isn't 100 percent certain he hasn't taken steroids himself. He told the Herald that when he was a young player in the Dominican Republic, he used to drink protein shakes for sale there. He explained he no longer does so because he can't be sure they don't include banned substances.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that [stuff] up, and I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it," Ortiz told the Herald. "You've got to be careful. ... I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that any more because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off of buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican. But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

Bonds and the Giants are scheduled to visit Fenway Park for a June 15-17 interleague series, and Ortiz told the newspaper that Bonds deserves a warmer welcome than he will probably get from Red Sox Nation.

"He deserves respect," Ortiz told the Herald. "People are not going to give it to him because of all the bad things running around, this and that, but people need to realize. I've heard a lot of different things about Barry Bonds, but people should just admit it -- this guy's a bad [expletive]."

And Ortiz thinks commissioner Bud Selig should commit to being on hand when Bonds breaks Aaron's major league record of 755 home runs.

"He's just making things worse," Ortiz told the Herald. "He's the commissioner, there's nothing you can do about it. You can't be saying that. What are people going to think about the game? They'll be like, 'This game is a joke.' He should come, even if he doesn't want to."

Schilling wants no part of Bonds making history. If Bonds is at home run No. 754 and Schilling is pitching during the Giants' visit to Fenway, he won't be giving the slugger a pitch to hit.

"Not on purpose," he said, according to The Boston Globe. "Hell no. I don't want to be Al Downing," he said, referring to the pitcher who gave up Aaron's record-breaking 715th home run in 1974.

"I'm guessing they're going to try to make sure [the record-breaking home run] happens in San Francisco," Schilling said, according to the Globe.

God, for a guy who basically looked like a fool in front of Congress, he just doesn't shut up. Spewing inaccurate information will make you look like a genius. Maybe this clown should be quiet for once.

man this sh*t just makes me like papi even more........ what a classy and cool guy big papi is....there was a poll on espn asking would u care if ya fav playa was using Performance Drugs.....

i voted no, what the f*** does it matta, if miggy was using roids i wouldnt care, long as it helps us win.... Schilling is a moron i wish he would just shut up and retire allready.....

This guy deserves nothing Hank Aaron went through tough times because people were bigots, Bonds is going through tough times because hes a cheater. He had Mark Sweeney as his fall guy for the amphetamines. But for someone who was on such a strict diet I have a hard time believing that he didn't know what was in the creams that he was using.

Without any steroids, at 43 and on 1 good leg Barry is still bombing HRs out. Maybe he will get the credit he deserves someday.

Everyone gives Barry credit for being a great player. They just don't care about the record. I don't care about the record. It's just another number at this point. I'll always consider Aaron's 755 to be a more impressive feat than whatever Barry ends up with.

I dont think anyone is saying you cant get bigger over 20 years, but to explode in a short period of time and grow like Bonds did...

and on top of that hitting 73 HRs in 2001 when his previous career high was 49, set the year before, there is something fishy there.

Bonds doesnt deserve this record, neither does McGwire.

They are both miserable, worthless, cheaters who had talent before the roids but ruined there reputation and the reputation of the game.

Thats right, they spat on the game, they dont deserve anything. I hope this miserable excuse for a human being never breaks the record, but even if he does...I, like most people, wont recognize it anyway.

Guest FishFanInPA

Thank god someone finally brought up Ortiz.....a guy who couldn't stay healthy in Minnesota and is now a bionic man and hits monsterous home runs....

Everyone cites that his head has grown. Anyone have a Giants media guide? Shouldn't it say Hat size in there?

Ive heard it numerous amounts of times. I think he came into the league wearing a 7 1/8 or maybe 3/8 but now I believe they said he wears a size 8

Thank god someone finally brought up Ortiz.....a guy who couldn't stay healthy in Minnesota and is now a bionic man and hits monsterous home runs....

No, you've brought it up a number of times as have the usual suspects in this thread. I more or less debunked a lot of people's claims a long time ago with:

First of all Ortiz had wrist surgery to remove a chipped hamate bone in his wrist. He also had his left knee repaired. He hit 20 HRs and drove in 72 his last year for the Twins and some of the reasons why the Twins let him go was a poor work ethic, injuries, and what he would have been awarded in arbitration coming off a solid season and entering his prime.

So wadda you know, entering into a new situation with two Domican stars already on the team, injury and pain free for the first time in his career, and getting taught by Ron Jackson who altered his stance and approach to the plate that took time when he got here.

He batted .212 his first month with the Sox. He improved steadily before really breaking out in August and September that year and then having the full monster season in 2004.

Steroids is an easy way out for a Yankee fan instead of looking at health, Fenway Park, new work ethic, consistent at bats, a better team around him, Ron Jackson, and playing for Boston at ages 28, 29, and 30.

Can we seriously stop rehashing the same steroid talk and pictures over and over? Its nearly the same talk/points/people taking certain sides, etc. in all the steroid threads that have existed here and this thread has dissolved in to something that has nothing to do with the original post.

BTW, Spike stop rehashing your same Bonds BS in any thread dealing with him, however much it does or doesn't involve him. We know your stance, stop saying the same crap over and over and trolling threads that have nothing to do with him being guilty or not guilty (Ex. Bonds HR Chase, stay the hell out if you aren't going to comment directly on it). Have some self control dude.

Let's see if this stuff really works give some to Eric Reed and see if he can get bigger than the batboys. As for Schilling personally I like his attitude and his guts to say how he feels. His comments regarding Bonds being a cheat are not without some merit, Bonds did admit to using a cream and some ort of flaxseed oil in his testimony that was leaked from the grand jury, these substances are alleged to contain steroids or HGH. So essentially Bonds did use these substances, but according to Bonds he didn't know he was using banned substances if he used them? :blink:

On another note I don't see a big difference in Aaron in the pics.