Dinner on Miami Beach?

So, four of us will be flying in to Miami for my wife's birthday and staying on Ocean Drive. We're flying in from NY, her sister is flying in from Boston and one of her friends is flying in from Australia.

Any good ideas on a place for a sweet birthday dinner and/or ideas on somthing fun to do?

Any and all help is much appreciated! :thumbup

Have you been to South Beach before? If not, it's pretty small...so I'm sure you'll figure out where to go and what to do pretty quickly on your own. As for food, it depends on what you folks like. As I mentioned in another thread, Joe's Stone Crab is pretty much THE Miami restaurant and that's on South Beach. The stone crab season just ended on Mother's Day, but pretty much everything is good there. If you like Italian food, Macaluso's on Alton Road is pretty amazing. There's also Prime 112, for which you have to place a reservation about a month ahead of time, unless you're someone special...they specialize in steaks but have all kinds of good stuff. That one's pretty expensive, though.

There's also Prime 112, for which you have to place a reservation about a month ahead of time, unless you're someone special...they specialize in steaks but have all kinds of good stuff. That one's pretty expensive, though.

Sweet! Thanks, Mabs. I just placed a reservation at Prime 112 just in case. I got a 7:00pm reservation on a Saturday, which seems pretty good to me.

I'm still open to suggestions because I have to run these ideas past my sister-in-law, but it looks like we are off to a good start.

Oh yea:Chuck E. Cheese!

May you rot in hell. :shifty

I know this is completley irrelevant, but Ft. Lauderdale beach is better. :rolleyes:

:lol

Yeah... we already have the reservations and she REALLY wanted to see South Beach. So, we'll be spending the weekend on South Beach then doing a dive [sCUBA] off Key Largo on Monday. We'll spend the night on Key Largo then jet back home Tuesday morning.

There's also Prime 112, for which you have to place a reservation about a month ahead of time, unless you're someone special...they specialize in steaks but have all kinds of good stuff. That one's pretty expensive, though.

Sweet! Thanks, Mabs. I just placed a reservation at Prime 112 just in case. I got a 7:00pm reservation on a Saturday, which seems pretty good to me.

I'm still open to suggestions because I have to run these ideas past my sister-in-law, but it looks like we are off to a good start.

Oh yea:Chuck E. Cheese!

This is hell. :thumbup

I had dinner at Touch on Lincoln Rd- very cool, a bit pricey

Sushi Samba on Lincoln Rd- excellent Mohito's

Spris on Lincoln Rd has awesome food and is very reasonable.

There is a pizza place on Lincoln Rd (Pizza Rustica I think its called) that has delicious pizza.

I know this is completley irrelevant, but Ft. Lauderdale beach is better. :rolleyes:

No its not, its not even close....

What about Opa? Its a greek place. On friday and saturday nights people dance on tables and throw plates on the ground. Its walking distance from joes stone crab

There is a pizza place on Lincoln Rd (Pizza Rustica I think its called) that has delicious pizza.

I'll keep this in mind for maybe Friday night's dinner. The only thing is that we're coming from NY. The three foods made in NY that are tough to beat are pizza, bagels, and buffalo wings!

This is where I may need Admin's opinion. I'm wondering if Florida pizza is as good as the NY, NJ, CT, PA area pizza. I've had pizza in lots of places west of Penn and it has all been pretty much :thumbdown We had pizza on a ski trip in Nevada a couple of years ago that was so bad we decided to make english muffin pizzas instead - and they tasted 10x better!

She does love calzones, though. Think they've got them?

Also, I know the last time I was down there [Miami but not South Beach] we hit up a really good tapas bar. Any good places like that worth checking out? It would be nice to get some good Cuban food or something like that.

I really appreciate the help, guys!

Wait a minute - are you with Dharma or are you a Hostile?!

Texas de Brazil

300 Alton Road

Suite 200

Miami Beach, FL 33139

PH: 305.695.7702

FAX: 305.695.7708

This is a steakhouse but you'll be bowled over. There are literally men walking around with slabs of beef, chicken, filet mignon and any & all kinds of steak on skewers around the restaurant. It's all you can eat. Not cheap- you'll drop $50-75 for a dinner but there's a salad bar. It's insulting to call it a salad bar because there's so much stuff on it- and not your regular stuff-great stuff. Plus, the steak and such.

We love it and have been back to the Dolphin Mall location several times for special occasions. Register for their e-club so you can get 25%-50% off coupons.

You will not regret it!

Texas de Brazil Homepage

Texas de Brazil

I'll keep this in mind for maybe Friday night's dinner. The only thing is that we're coming from NY. The three foods made in NY that are tough to beat are pizza, bagels, and buffalo wings!

This is where I may need Admin's opinion. I'm wondering if Florida pizza is as good as the NY, NJ, CT, PA area pizza. I've had pizza in lots of places west of Penn and it has all been pretty much :thumbdown We had pizza on a ski trip in Nevada a couple of years ago that was so bad we decided to make english muffin pizzas instead - and they tasted 10x better!

She does love calzones, though. Think they've got them?

Also, I know the last time I was down there [Miami but not South Beach] we hit up a really good tapas bar. Any good places like that worth checking out? It would be nice to get some good Cuban food or something like that.

I really appreciate the help, guys!

Wait a minute - are you with Dharma or are you a Hostile?!

:blink:

Texas de Brazil

Nice job, yenta! :thumbup

It's hard to beat meats on swords! We actually went to one of those in Aruba. It was a good time but I think I slaughtered a small herd of cattle while I was there. I'm trying to avoid gluttony while showing off my soon to be emerging abs! :mischief

Speaking of Aruba, if any of you are planning a trip down you MUST eat at La Dome. We ate there twice and EVERYTHING was out of this world! I had a pan seared ostrich fillet with roated pepper sauce that I can still taste two years later... :drool

Do something completely different

My recommendation is BED

Plan to spend 50-80 per person, but worth it every penny. Food is delicious and is a great experience.

http://www.bedmiami.com/

Some Lincon Road Recommendations:

Spris - informal pizza place. very good. highly recommend the prosciutto parma pizza

Van Dykes - cassual/informal. very classy and unique place. great desserts

No its not, its not even close....

What about Opa? Its a greek place. On friday and saturday nights people dance on tables and throw plates on the ground. Its walking distance from joes stone crab

Ill give my vote to Opa...very good food and a fun time...don't think they accept reservations but it is a fun establishment on the weekends and the dancers are pretty hott!!!

Re: Rustica, the pizza is great, but I definitely wouldn't recommend the place to someone who's planning a special dinner. The restaurants are informal, cramped, and uncomfortable to eat at. It's more the kind of place you go for a quick bite or to pick up a slice. I'd still recommend you hit it up at some point during your trip, though. And about the pizza, it's gourmet / specialty pizza and totally different than NY pizza. Look at the website to get an idea.

Re: dinner ideas, while there are plenty of Italian and steak places here, I'd recommend something different / special / unique to Miami, since you're not from here.

Cuban food, like you suggested, is one idea. Versailles, which is inland, is very good, though it's not very formal. Havana Harry's is more formal, but I like the food at Versailles better.

I also like the suggestion of Taverna Opa. It's a casual kind of place, if that's what you're looking for. It's fun (and loud), and the food is awesome. And for SoBe standards, it's not terribly expensive.

If you're willing to spend a lot of money, Tantra is a unique, hip, sex-themed restaurant that might be worth checking out. It's dark and kinda romantic, and it has the music / dancing atmosphere that is characteristic of many of the notable restaurants on South Beach. If you want to focus more on your dinner, get there earlier (like 8).

Oh, and I agree, you should definitely check out Lincoln Road during your time here.

Oh man! You guys are KILLING me!

BED looks awesome. Tantra looks awesome. Prime 112 looks awesome [and I have reservations for 7 on a Saturday!].

I might save Tantra for just my wife and I. Might be weird to go there with my sister-in-law - especially after I accidentally grabbed her but on a ski trip [looooong story]!

Sushi Samba sounds right up my alley, but she doesn't eat fish [suck!]. If it's near something else, I may pick up some sushi for lunch with our friend and she can grab something else with her sister.

Thanks for the tip on Lincoln. Good place to hit for lunch or dinner only?

I'll have to look into Taverna Opa, too. We're on for two dinners as a group [4] and one dinner just the two of us.

Looking like BED/Opa for Friday night and Prime 112 on Saturday night? Then, maybe we can hit Tantra as a couple.

Anything reasonably priced for lunch? Thinking Spanish or Cuban food?

These are all great ideas, btw! Now, I can always point back at this the next time she yells at me for spending too much time responding to a post in some thread. :thumbup

Oh man! You guys are KILLING me!

BED looks awesome. Tantra looks awesome. Prime 112 looks awesome [and I have reservations for 7 on a Saturday!].

I might save Tantra for just my wife and I. Might be weird to go there with my sister-in-law - especially after I accidentally grabbed her but on a ski trip [looooong story]!

Sushi Samba sounds right up my alley, but she doesn't eat fish [suck!]. If it's near something else, I may pick up some sushi for lunch with our friend and she can grab something else with her sister.

Thanks for the tip on Lincoln. Good place to hit for lunch or dinner only?

I'll have to look into Taverna Opa, too. We're on for two dinners as a group [4] and one dinner just the two of us.

Looking like BED/Opa for Friday night and Prime 112 on Saturday night? Then, maybe we can hit Tantra as a couple.

Anything reasonably priced for lunch? Thinking Spanish or Cuban food?

These are all great ideas, btw! Now, I can always point back at this the next time she yells at me for spending too much time responding to a post in some thread. :thumbup

I would prefer Lincoln @ night. since most of the places are outdoor dining, and it is hot outside now during the day.

You will need reservations for Bed. I heard that Friday night is OK in terms of availability, so you should not run into problems getting one. 8-10pm should be wide open

reasonable priced lunch. . . I eco Shaq's recommendation of Versalles. It is inland, but worth the trip. Can't get any more authentic or better than that. if you decide to stay in south beach, then Bongos Cafe, although a bit more pricey than the Versalles option.

I would hit up Lincoln for lunch. It's a better time to walk around, especially if it's a nice day. At night it can get really crowded. There's a place called David's Cuban Cafe that is just off of Lincoln. I've never eaten there cause I'm not a huge fan of Cuban food, but I hear it's pretty good. Otherwise, Lincoln is basically loaded with restaurants for you to choose from.

And if you really want the best pizza South Florida has to offer, you have to go about a half hour north to Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza in North Miami. That place puts any pizza you're going to find on South Beach to shame.