Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Vokoun to Panthers!

Featured Replies

I was just about to post this :D

 

Very nice, with Eddy heading towards the free-agent market, and with Auld being his inconsistent self, this fills a great need, I'm lovin' this trade :D

Anderson as a backup is fine with me.

I still think we re-sign Eddie and Anderson. Especially since Vokoun was injured last year. And Anderson is the backup plan.

 

 

As long as Auld is gone. I have never, ever seen someone look so stiff in the net and unable to cover any real angles.

 

Even Wade Flaherety is better.

Like I said a million times, Belfour won't settle for being a backup. He's already made that abundantly clear. He'll be gone and Anderson will be the backup.

  • Author

I was just about to post this :D

 

Very nice, with Eddy heading towards the free-agent market, and with Auld being his inconsistent self, this fills a great need, I'm lovin' this trade :D

Anderson as a backup is fine with me.

I still think we re-sign Eddie and Anderson. Especially since Vokoun was injured last year. And Anderson is the backup plan.

 

 

As long as Auld is gone. I have never, ever seen someone look so stiff in the net and unable to cover any real angles.

 

Even Wade Flaherety is better.

Like I said a million times, Belfour won't settle for being a backup. He's already made that abundantly clear. He'll be gone and Anderson will be the backup.

 

Based on the way he played last season, he deserves to be starting someplace, albeit someplace with a capable backup. The problem with him coming back to the Panthers was that we don't have a young up-and-coming goalie in system, or someone that you'd feel comfortable using for a long stretch of time. The Panthers need to make the playoffs this year and therefore couldn't bring him back because his age and injury history. It would have been too risky to count on him. This trade is a brilliant move and should almost make up for the loss of Luongo. I say almost just because Roberto should never have been traded in the first place. But JM is doing a masterful job so far. He started last year at the deadline getting a good prospect in Welch and accumulating extra picks. Then locking up Allen and Horton, with Weiss and Bouw next. Next filling the biggest need with a top 5-10 NHL goalie and not giving up anyone from our roster. This team finally has a clear direction after drifting for a decade. I can't wait to see what they do in free agency.

I was just about to post this :D

 

Very nice, with Eddy heading towards the free-agent market, and with Auld being his inconsistent self, this fills a great need, I'm lovin' this trade :D

Anderson as a backup is fine with me.

I still think we re-sign Eddie and Anderson. Especially since Vokoun was injured last year. And Anderson is the backup plan.

 

 

As long as Auld is gone. I have never, ever seen someone look so stiff in the net and unable to cover any real angles.

 

Even Wade Flaherety is better.

Like I said a million times, Belfour won't settle for being a backup. He's already made that abundantly clear. He'll be gone and Anderson will be the backup.

 

Based on the way he played last season, he deserves to be starting someplace, albeit someplace with a capable backup. The problem with him coming back to the Panthers was that we don't have a young up-and-coming goalie in system, or someone that you'd feel comfortable using for a long stretch of time. The Panthers need to make the playoffs this year and therefore couldn't bring him back because his age and injury history. It would have been too risky to count on him. This trade is a brilliant move and should almost make up for the loss of Luongo. I say almost just because Roberto should never have been traded in the first place. But JM is doing a masterful job so far. He started last year at the deadline getting a good prospect in Welch and accumulating extra picks. Then locking up Allen and Horton, with Weiss and Bouw next. Next filling the biggest need with a top 5-10 NHL goalie and not giving up anyone from our roster. This team finally has a clear direction after drifting for a decade. I can't wait to see what they do in free agency.

 

Also remember we locked up Horton for 6 years, and Allen for 5 years. With Brian Allen, and Jay Bowmeester, as the Line 1 Defense and Vokoun in net. This is the solid defense we've been missing for years. And our Offense is just...... we always find ways to score, most fo the games we lost last year we're because of us giving up leads late. I don't think that will happen as much any more.

My take on the move is that Belfour was spectacular at times last year, but aging, this essentially ensures no dropoff in net to speak of.

 

Go ahead and tell me I'll eat crow on this, but I don't think Vokoun is a marked upgrade over the play that the Panthers got from Eddie last season. What it does is add long term stability as Belfour would be real hard pressed to replicate his past season this coming season.

 

It's a good move, but it has to pay off because next year's draft is expected to be very deep, so no first rounder next year means playoffs this coming year are a must.

 

I think a move for a top-6 forward is a must. Bouwmeester should continue progressing and I'd assume Mezei to be back next season so the D isn't a problem, it's solid if unspectacular.

 

To me, the biggest part is that Vokoun comes with a 4 year deal. That's what makes it a winner in my eyes.

  • Author

My take on the move is that Belfour was spectacular at times last year, but aging, this essentially ensures no dropoff in net to speak of.

 

Go ahead and tell me I'll eat crow on this, but I don't think Vokoun is a marked upgrade over the play that the Panthers got from Eddie last season. What it does is add long term stability as Belfour would be real hard pressed to replicate his past season this coming season.

 

It's a good move, but it has to pay off because next year's draft is expected to be very deep, so no first rounder next year means playoffs this coming year are a must.

 

I think a move for a top-6 forward is a must. Bouwmeester should continue progressing and I'd assume Mezei to be back next season so the D isn't a problem, it's solid if unspectacular.

 

To me, the biggest part is that Vokoun comes with a 4 year deal. That's what makes it a winner in my eyes.

 

I agree. Eddie played like a top 10 NHL goalie most of last year and I think you are right, Vokoun basically assures that we'll stay at the same level in goal for the next few years. The problem with Eddie was that the Panthers couldn't count on him staying at that level because of his age and bad back. It just would have been too risky. Giving up the draft pick doesn't bother me so much because hopefully we'll be picking in the 20's and not in the top 10 again.

  • Author

Actually, now that I took a closer look at the numbers, I disagree with myself. :mischief2

 

Maybe Belfour played better than his numbers last year, but overall, his stats don't show a top 10 level goalie. Instead, he was pretty average, statistically speaking. His GAA was 22nd in the league and his SV% was tied for 30th, and his numbers got worse post all-star break. What he did do was keep the Panthers in games well enough to win. So a lot of his success can be attributed to the overall team playing better. But that isn't to take anything away from Eddie. He did a good job last season, when nobody really expected him to do much.

 

So my initial thought was wrong. Vokoun, if he plays up to the same level he has the past few seasons, should be a pretty significant upgrade in goal.

Eddie was awesome. But, Vokoun is even better at this point. Vokoun is a top 5 goalie in the league, if not definitely within the top 7 or 8.

 

 

Slava Mezei will be traded this offseason. It just doesn't make any sense to keep him when we got Noah Welch coming up.

My take on the move is that Belfour was spectacular at times last year, but aging, this essentially ensures no dropoff in net to speak of.

 

Go ahead and tell me I'll eat crow on this, but I don't think Vokoun is a marked upgrade over the play that the Panthers got from Eddie last season. What it does is add long term stability as Belfour would be real hard pressed to replicate his past season this coming season.

 

It's a good move, but it has to pay off because next year's draft is expected to be very deep, so no first rounder next year means playoffs this coming year are a must.

 

I think a move for a top-6 forward is a must. Bouwmeester should continue progressing and I'd assume Mezei to be back next season so the D isn't a problem, it's solid if unspectacular.

 

To me, the biggest part is that Vokoun comes with a 4 year deal. That's what makes it a winner in my eyes.

 

you'll be eating crow. as well as belfour played last year (and i'm a big fan of his) he's merely average compared to vokoun. vokoun is a borderline elite goalie. he really isn't far off luongo's caliber if at all. he's not nearly as flashy, but his rebound control is much better and he's every bit as consistent.

 

he's easily a top-10 goalie. arguably a top-5 goalie. he's in the second tier of goalies with lundqvist, giguere, miller, etc. he's a better option than eddie anyway you slice it. goaltending was not the problem with this team when eddie played. not in any way, but vokoun (assuming he stays healthy) will play in 65-70 games at a higher level than eddie did and higher than auld could ever dream of. it's a huge, huge improvement over what we had last year.

 

the only downside with vokoun has been his playoff performance. he hasn't been "bad" - just underwhelming. you expect a goalie of his caliber to steal you a series or two and he hasn't done that in his two years there. but we'll worry about that when the time comes......

My take on the move is that Belfour was spectacular at times last year, but aging, this essentially ensures no dropoff in net to speak of.

 

Go ahead and tell me I'll eat crow on this, but I don't think Vokoun is a marked upgrade over the play that the Panthers got from Eddie last season. What it does is add long term stability as Belfour would be real hard pressed to replicate his past season this coming season.

 

It's a good move, but it has to pay off because next year's draft is expected to be very deep, so no first rounder next year means playoffs this coming year are a must.

 

I think a move for a top-6 forward is a must. Bouwmeester should continue progressing and I'd assume Mezei to be back next season so the D isn't a problem, it's solid if unspectacular.

 

To me, the biggest part is that Vokoun comes with a 4 year deal. That's what makes it a winner in my eyes.

 

you'll be eating crow. as well as belfour played last year (and i'm a big fan of his) he's merely average compared to vokoun. vokoun is a borderline elite goalie. he really isn't far off luongo's caliber if at all. he's not nearly as flashy, but his rebound control is much better and he's every bit as consistent.

 

he's easily a top-10 goalie. arguably a top-5 goalie. he's in the second tier of goalies with lundqvist, giguere, miller, etc. he's a better option than eddie anyway you slice it. goaltending was not the problem with this team when eddie played. not in any way, but vokoun (assuming he stays healthy) will play in 65-70 games at a higher level than eddie did and higher than auld could ever dream of. it's a huge, huge improvement over what we had last year.

 

the only downside with vokoun has been his playoff performance. he hasn't been "bad" - just underwhelming. you expect a goalie of his caliber to steal you a series or two and he hasn't done that in his two years there. but we'll worry about that when the time comes......

Woah, woah, woah. Let's worry about the playoffs when we get to the playoffs. Just the thought that this team has playoff potential is enough to keep my mind at ease until the first half of next season is over.

wow...im def excited...kinda makes me wish i already have nhl 2k8 so i could beat the hell out of some teams with my beloved panthers...lets get weiss done, bouw next, and a nice free agent and oh man...bring out the RATS!!!

so happy about nashville going to sh*t.

 

so happy about next season. awesome awesome awesome trade.

We need to sign atleast two more forwards. If we play next season with the team we have now we would be lucky to get an 8 seed. Remember this team had Loungo for several years and couldnt make the 8th seed. I am thrilled we got him, but I wont think playoffs unless they sign a few more guys.

wonder if any chance Vokoun can talk to Kariya to come on down

I don't think that would be likely but hey, Paul likes the warm weather hockey teams. :p

 

 

btw one of the best parts of the deal if he waived his no trade clause because he wanted to come here :)

Vokoun's NTC doesn't kick in till July 1st of this year. Just wanted to clear that up.

 

 

We need to sign atleast two more forwards. If we play next season with the team we have now we would be lucky to get an 8 seed. Remember this team had Loungo for several years and couldnt make the 8th seed. I am thrilled we got him, but I wont think playoffs unless they sign a few more guys.

Definitely. However, when Luongo was here, we never had this good of a defense or two 30 goal scorers. Us not making the playoffs for years was not Luongo's fault; it was just the youth of the team and the fact we had a bunch of guys who should've been in the AHL rather than the NHL.

 

 

BTW, the performance of Vokoun in the playoffs is unfair to rate. He hasn't been all that healthy in the playoffs and its not like Nashville, as a team, has been any good in the playoffs.

Dream pick ups:

 

Drury or Blake personally :)

 

 

We need to get Weiss and JBou locked up (july 1st start talks with Jbou he will be 5+ million a year range I bet)

So who's going to serve as Vokoun's backup? General manager/coach Jacques Martin said Friday it will not be Ed Belfour, 42. Belfour played in 58 games last season and set the franchise record for consecutive starts, but he will not be invited back.

 

Look for Florida to re-sign Alex Auld and Craig Anderson, and have them compete for the spot in training camp. The loser will have to look for work elsewhere.

 

http://www.miamiherald.com/588/story/149082.html

My take on the move is that Belfour was spectacular at times last year, but aging, this essentially ensures no dropoff in net to speak of.

 

Go ahead and tell me I'll eat crow on this, but I don't think Vokoun is a marked upgrade over the play that the Panthers got from Eddie last season. What it does is add long term stability as Belfour would be real hard pressed to replicate his past season this coming season.

 

It's a good move, but it has to pay off because next year's draft is expected to be very deep, so no first rounder next year means playoffs this coming year are a must.

 

I think a move for a top-6 forward is a must. Bouwmeester should continue progressing and I'd assume Mezei to be back next season so the D isn't a problem, it's solid if unspectacular.

 

To me, the biggest part is that Vokoun comes with a 4 year deal. That's what makes it a winner in my eyes.

 

 

I think you'll be eating crow on that statement. Vokoun is a big upgrade over Eddie short term,long term and in any possible way you can look at it. Eddie had a good year last year that even if he duplicates(which I doubt) his numbers still won't be as good as what Vokoun did last year while struggling with injuries.

 

Vokoun: 30 years old/.920 sv%

Belfour: 42 years old/.902 sv%

 

Those are the key stats from last year IMO.

 

 

and fwiw: Luongo had a .921 sv%. last year.

 

 

 

 

I love what we are doing on the defense, we will be very good and young. We have been young for years ,just not very good. Definitely need another top 2 line scoring forward though, maybe a Petr Sykora?

My take on the move is that Belfour was spectacular at times last year, but aging, this essentially ensures no dropoff in net to speak of.

 

Go ahead and tell me I'll eat crow on this, but I don't think Vokoun is a marked upgrade over the play that the Panthers got from Eddie last season. What it does is add long term stability as Belfour would be real hard pressed to replicate his past season this coming season.

 

It's a good move, but it has to pay off because next year's draft is expected to be very deep, so no first rounder next year means playoffs this coming year are a must.

 

I think a move for a top-6 forward is a must. Bouwmeester should continue progressing and I'd assume Mezei to be back next season so the D isn't a problem, it's solid if unspectacular.

 

To me, the biggest part is that Vokoun comes with a 4 year deal. That's what makes it a winner in my eyes.

 

 

I think you'll be eating crow on that statement. Vokoun is a big upgrade over Eddie short term,long term and in any possible way you can look at it. Eddie had a good year last year that even if he duplicates(which I doubt) his numbers still won't be as good as what Vokoun did last year while struggling with injuries.

 

Vokoun: 30 years old/.920 sv%

Belfour: 42 years old/.902 sv%

 

Those are the key stats from last year IMO.

 

 

and fwiw: Luongo had a .921 sv%. last year.

 

 

 

 

I love what we are doing on the defense, we will be very good and young. We have been young for years ,just not very good. Definitely need another top 2 line scoring forward though, maybe a Petr Sykora?

 

Not big on Petr Sykora. He'd help - but I would prefer eithe Slava Kozlov or Ladislav Nagy. Kozlov had 80 points last year and likely won't cost what most 80 point scorers do. Many think he feeds off playing next to Kovalchuk but I think he's just a damn good player. Taking him away from Atlanta would just be icing on the cake.

 

Nagy had a terrible year last year but he's one of the most skilled LW's in the league and is still pretty young (27 i think). He's come reasonably cheap because of the off season and to me, would be a perfect complement to Jokinen.

 

As far as Vokoun/Eddie - completely agree. As well as Belfour played last year, you're comparing filet mignon to bologna. Vokoun is an elite goalie while Eddie is middle-of-the-pack at best....with age/health/off ice concerns. I'm not trying to diminish what Belfour did for this team. He saved our ass last year when Auld imploded. But he's not close to the goalie Vokoun is at this stage in their careers.

so who do everyone think the panthers will/should pursue in free agency? or is there another trade route we should be looking at?

 

Martin has said he is going after "two to three" forwards. Defense, goaltending is 100% set. you'll likely see some guys actually traded away. Currently, the Panthers have nine defensmen (Bouwmeester, Van Ryn, Salei, Allen, Mezei, Murphy, Semenov, Montador, Welch). they'll probably have to get that down to 7 before camp ends. I'm guessing Monty and Semenov or Mezei will be out.

 

They have the rights to three goalies as well - need to get that number to two - which means one of Auld or Anderson will be out.

 

As far as who they may pursue - who knows really. Just don't expect too big of a name. IE: no Danny Briere or Chris Drury. They can't afford to invest another $6-8 mil annually in one guy after acquiring Vokoun. As it is, they're likely going to have $20mil locked up in four guys (Vokoun - $5.7 mil - Jokinen $5.25 mil, Horton $4mil and Bouwmeester will likely get $5+ mil). you can't commit over half your budget to five players.

 

expect a second tier guy like nagy, slava kozlov, sykora, maybe even yashin and a third tier guy or two such as todd white. one if gelinas re-signs, two if he doesn't.

 

i also expect stumpel to re-sign....but we'll see.

I can see the Panthers going after these guys:

 

Todd White

Slava Kozlov

Jason Blake

 

 

Possibly Ladislav Nagy, Mike Comrie, maybe even Radek Bonk.

 

 

I am pretty sure that neither Petr Sykora or Alexei Yashin will be pursued by the Panthers.

I can see the Panthers going after these guys:

 

Todd White

Slava Kozlov

Jason Blake

 

 

Possibly Ladislav Nagy, Mike Comrie, maybe even Radek Bonk.

 

 

I am pretty sure that neither Petr Sykora or Alexei Yashin will be pursued by the Panthers.

 

i'd think blake will be out of our range. 40 goals will likely price him at 5+ mil per season and that's not going to happen.

 

i'm hoping for nagy, white and calder.

 

btw- i could very easily see yashin brought here if stumpel does not re-sign or yashin comes cheaper. martin liked yashin in ottawa. yes, he was alot more productive then....but....it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.