The Philadelphia Phillies told the D-Train is not available

Trade talks fizzle

By RANDY MILLER

phillyBurbs.com

ST. LOUIS ? The Phillies called the Chicago White Sox to ask about left-hander Mark Buehrle and discovered the price tag is way too high.

They phoned the Florida Marlins to inquire about lefty Dontrelle Willis and were told he's not available.

That's all according to a National League executive who says Phillies management has been contacting every team in a desperate search to fill their latest hole in the starting rotation

I don't buy this at all. Buehrle yes, but this seems way too outlandish to be true. Why would any GM be so ridiculous to inquire about a star player of a division rival who is less than 10 games behind you? It'd be one thing if this was offseason but in the middle of the season?

Guest FishFanInPA

If somehow we do end up trading Dontrelle we better get a butt load back.

Why would anyone give us a "butt load" for a player we won't be able to sign and someone whose value is falling with every crappy outing that he has? We missed the boat on dealing him for his proper value. Now, your not going to get anywhere near what you deserve for him.

Why would anyone give us a "butt load" for a player we won't be able to sign and someone whose value is falling with every crappy outing that he has? We missed the boat on dealing him for his proper value. Now, your not going to get anywhere near what you deserve for him.

Well, if a good number of teams are calling us asking if Dontrelle is available then there could be a "mini" competition between teams to aquire Dontrelle. I know Dontrelle has been kinda stinky this year but other teams seem like they could care less. They are getting "Dontrelle Willis". I want the best we can get for Dontrelle. If we keep saying no to an offer - teams might throw in another player or better player to make it a yes.

Puhlease.

Puhlease.

I wouldn't word it the way FFIPA did but his value has certainly declined over the past 18 months.

He's closer to free agancy, has become more expensive $$$ wise and his production has declined.

He still has value, he is a LHP who still has above average stuff and has had success who is also quite young.

While it will always be my opinion that we missed the boat trading him 2 years ago(Id rather still have Beckett), Dontrelle will fetch a pretty package no matter what.

Some people here just have overrated him to some degree to be an ace, and thats a fallacy. He is a really good #2, and the teams that are looking at him for the most part arent going to be going after him to be their #1.

I believe that myself and The Don are the 2 biggest Dontrelle supporters on this site, and for the umpteenth time, neither one of us has said that Dontrelle is to be confused with the likes of Santana, Oswalt, and many others. He may be the ace of this team, but that would be only by default, as he's the best of the worst. He is a durable LHP, and a #2 on most teams. More than that he is a special talent. It's the way he plays the game and injects energy into the team that we like. Players, good and bad, come and go. But a special talent like Dontrelle is a once in a generation type player. I don't like to pull the age card, but it's probably no coincidence that The Don and I are 2 of the older members here. I've seen Koufax and Gibson pitch, and I get more enjoyment watching the GAME when Dontrelle pitches. IMO his trade value is roughly the same now as it was 1-2 years ago. It may have been a notch higher after 2005, but not anything signifigant. He's worth a bundle to the likes of the Yanks, Mets, White Sox, Red Sox, Cubs, St. Louis, Dodgers should he wind up being traded. But, as I say everytime, enjoy each and every start he makes. You may never see another player like him, and it's especially nice when he's on the team you root for.

I disagree that Dontrelle is a "once in a lifetime" talent. He is a talented young #2, nothing more-nothing less.

And I still would give the Red Sox Dontrelle over Beckett 7 days a week/365 days a year if it was to be done all over again.

Not to say I think hes bad(far from it), and I still think he will bring us a nice haul, but I guess I just dont elevate him to a status that he is not like some others.

And I still would give the Red Sox Dontrelle over Beckett 7 days a week/365 days a year if it was to be done all over again.

You bring this up in every single Dontrelle thread and say it as if you are totally alone on this thought? I think 90% of Marlin fans would agree with that statement, so trust me, you're not alone with it. :cheers

Well. You had to figure that the Red Sox liked Beckett a lot better than Willis too, and for good reason. That's why they took on Lowell's contract despite him coming off of the worst year of his career. No way you would have got those same guys if you subsituted Willis for Beckett.

Well. You had to figure that the Red Sox liked Beckett a lot better than Willis too, and for good reason. That's why they took on Lowell's contract despite him coming off of the worst year of his career. No way you would have got those same guys if you subsituted Willis for Beckett.

Absolutely. :thumbup

Which is why I don't like when people make it sound as simple as substituting Beckett for Willis in that deal. I am sure the Red Sox coveted Beckett as their primary choice.

I still think, if I recall right, they would of taken either and kept the same deal.

I don't remember Dontrelle ever entering those trade talks, but I do remember last year Boog Sciambi( a great Marlin source) saying the Red Sox were very, very close to acquiring Dontrelle.

Maybe Fox knows?

I disagree that Dontrelle is a "once in a lifetime" talent. He is a talented young #2, nothing more-nothing less.

Not to say I think hes bad(far from it), and I still think he will bring us a nice haul, but I guess I just dont elevate him to a status that he is not like some others.

I didn't say that Dontrelle was a once in a lifetime talent. Koufax and Gibson were immensely more talented as a pitcher. These 2 would be the type of once in a generation or 2 PITCHING talents. I said that Dontrelle was a once in a generation PLAYER, looking at the whole package.

I realize that my post is going to go over most of your heads like an F-14 flyover. There are lots of you that know more about baseball than I, even though you're half my age. On the Dontrelle special talent issue, you're just going to have to take my word that your opinion on him will change in 20 years. You'll look back and realize that he's a lot more than "nothing-more, nothing-less". At some point you stop looking at players close to Dontrelle like you're reading a box score, and look at the enjoyment they bring, and the value that they add to the team beyond their hard cold numbers. After all, this is in the end supposed to be a GAME meant to be enjoyed.