do we suck

miamibaseball

we getting worst and better hitting and getting run in is not their .pitching is ok sometime .we have losing record at home and overall. who want to go see this team like when you know their not doing best to win.everything start from top that is fred.soon we looking to see who going have job next season WE OUT OF PLAYOFF ALREADY

Guest Guest

In theory, we dont suck. We are just an average team. Some good, some bad, some ugly.

What can be put on Fredi's lap? Who knows. Girardi and Fredi neither one were very good at in game managing or at handling the bullpen, but Girardi was a fascist and didnt hide that fact. Does Fredi coddle his players? Maybe. Since he takes care of issues behind closed doors, none of us really know. He wont get fired, that much is sure(I personally dont think Loria gives a spit about winning, as long as he pads his wallet, meaning good performance good or bad from Fredi wont mean much one way or the other besides to us interent GMs).

Still alot of season left. We always suck against Pittsburgh(I will admit, I thought we had reversed that trend but I spoke too soon it appears). The Pirates are a young up and coming team just like we are. Probably not as good overall, but not benefit of talent either.

People just need to sit back and enjoy the ride. I am not sure the ages of some of the people here, but half the board has to have bleeding ulcers with the amount of bitching that goes on on this board 24-7. Everything from Fredi to Hermi to Jacobs to Zega to the man whos existence I dont even acknowledge to the stadium to fan support to Beinfest to Loria(my personal favorite whipping boy...He Who Shall not be Named and Mitre have gotten temporary reprieves whether they have earned them or not).

I honestly dont understand how half the people on here can enjoy the Marlins as much as they lament about every damn aspect of the team. Bitch bitch bitch, whine whine whine. Even when we win, some negative point has to be brought up. A day cant go by without someone being pissed off about something. Its not even the All Star Break yet and people are standing on the ledge getting ready to jump. Step back in the window my friends, summer aint over yet. Who knows how this season will finish up?

Don't het me wrong I like Fredi, but if Loria and Girardi never would have clashed I wonder where we'd be right now (possiblly at the top of the NL East?)...

Top of the NL East? Doubtful but you never know I suppose. I have to agree with Spike on this one, there will be some ups and there will be some downs to a team like this. Last year at this point everyone had written off the team as well but looked what happened the 2nd half of the season. Do I think we'll be in the post season this year? No. But I do expect the team to start playing better ball after the break and keep things interesting. Might as well sit back and enjoy the ride.

I personally dont think Olsen has been "bad"...just gave up a few 1 big innings.

Liked most of your last post but I disagree on this one. Those few 1 big innings is why I have yet to jump on the Scotty bandwagon. He has yet to show the maturity to warrant such a loyal following. I don't care he gives up a big inning from time to time. It's the how and why he does it that has me waiting to buy that #34 jersey.

we getting worst and better hitting and getting run in is not their .pitching is ok sometime .we have losing record at home and overall. who want to go see this team like when you know their not doing best to win.everything start from top that is fred.soon we looking to see who going have job next season WE OUT OF PLAYOFF ALREADY

:knockout

This is a .500 team. Cut your losses. Next year is our year.

I really hate that "Next year is our year" it reminds me so much of the Dolphins and well we all know what they do every year!

I really hate that "Next year is our year" it reminds me so much of the Dolphins and well we all know what they do every year!

No, but given our finances, next year really has to be our year.

We can't afford Uggla, Hanley, Olsen, Johnson, Willis, Cabrera and Willingham once they're all in arbitration, so next year is the last year before the next firesale.

The team as it stands right now is a long ways from a Championship run in 2008.

Now if the FO goes out and upgrades at CF (which in their defense they did attempt to do) and if ALL cylinders run at full speed next year we have a chance. That's A LOT of "ifs". We'll need a combination of 2006's SP'ing, this years bullpen and an offense that resembed this year's April offense.

Hermida can't bat .220 and make sh*tty plays in RF in 2008 for us to contend. It has to be his breakout year. And it very well may be.

Eh, I'm torn.

I think that this divisions short term prospects look pretty crappy for everyone but us and the Braves.

Mets are going to be a mess next year unless they throw $200 mil at Zambrano who probably won't be worth it, ditto the Phillies.

Braves go out and get Teixeira or Harden at the deadline, that's it, go home, but I think we improve markedly with a healthy and effective Anibal next year, plus (please oh please) an above average catcher.

plus (please oh please) an above average catcher.

Seriously accessing the situation: What options do we actually have to make a run?

The only two catchers that are free agents next year that we could splurge a bit and still sign are Paul Lo Duca (Would he come back here?) and Jason Kendall (Who hasn't been good since 2004 and is now way past breaking down, though I'd still take a .350+ OBP catcher if he could manage to do what he had done he past two years in Oakland). And although both are deffinatly an upgrade of what we could currently use, I really wouldn't call either "above average" as you (and I) want, both are quite far away from being a Pudge. And both will likely cost a lot more then what their actual worth is.

Outside of Jeff Clement and Salty, I can't think of any top-prospect catchers that are being blocked that either a) could be moved or b) the person blocking them could be moved. As time goes on, the chances of Salty being moved seem thinner and thinner with instead him moving to first, and there's no way McCann is moved. I have absolutely no idea with the SEA FO plans to do with Johjima (Free Agent after '08) and Clement.

I also can't think of any good catcher on another team that a team would be looking to deal this offseason.

And when it comes to within our system...Ramp talked about how someone he talked to said that Hayes could be starting in 2008. Here's his line against RHP in AA so far:

0.227/0.275/0.333/0.608

:confused

I really wish we'd start Treanor, if nothing more than to see if he could be a starter. I wouldn't be surprised if he could be, offensively, what Kendall had been the past two years for the A's with less hits but more walks. If he could give us a .330-.340ish OBP and SLG, I'd be more then happy since 1) There really doesn't seem to be much else that we could get outside of a possible Jeff Clement 2) good defense 3) minimum = more money to spend elsewhere.

I think our starting pitching has a huge chance of coming back around next year. CF isn't too hard to fill, expecially with the depth of this coming FA class. But catcher...it's a hell of a void for us to fill.

plus (please oh please) an above average catcher.

Seriously accessing the situation: What options do we actually have to make a run?

The only two catchers that are free agents next year that we could splurge a bit and still sign are Paul Lo Duca (Would he come back here?) and Jason Kendall (Who hasn't been good since 2004 and is now way past breaking down, though I'd still take a .350+ OBP catcher if he could manage to do what he had done he past two years in Oakland). And although both are deffinatly an upgrade of what we could currently use, I really wouldn't call either "above average" as you (and I) want, both are quite far away from being a Pudge. And both will likely cost a lot more then what their actual worth is.

Outside of Jeff Clement and Salty, I can't think of any top-prospect catchers that are being blocked that either a) could be moved or b) the person blocking them could be moved. As time goes on, the chances of Salty being moved seem thinner and thinner with instead him moving to first, and there's no way McCann is moved. I have absolutely no idea with the SEA FO plans to do with Johjima (Free Agent after '08) and Clement.

I also can't think of any good catcher on another team that a team would be looking to deal this offseason.

And when it comes to within our system...Ramp talked about how someone he talked to said that Hayes could be starting in 2008. Here's his line against RHP in AA so far:

0.227/0.275/0.333/0.608

:confused

I really wish we'd start Treanor, if nothing more than to see if he could be a starter. I wouldn't be surprised if he could be, offensively, what Kendall had been the past two years for the A's with less hits but more walks. If he could give us a .330-.340ish OBP and SLG, I'd be more then happy since 1) There really doesn't seem to be much else that we could get outside of a possible Jeff Clement 2) good defense 3) minimum = more money to spend elsewhere.

I think our starting pitching has a huge chance of coming back around next year. CF isn't too hard to fill, expecially with the depth of this coming FA class. But catcher...it's a hell of a void for us to fill.

Pudge is a FA too :mischief2 ...if we're pipe dreaming.

Also, I figure that if Dontrelle is dangled, we'd come away with someone like Saltalamacchia, etc.

Our offense doesn't need an upgrade. It needs to find consistency. We score enough runs... jesus, we're second or third in runs scored. Just consistency, baby.

We need to improve in the following two areas: defense and starting pitching. If we had slightly above defense and pitching with our current offense we'd probably be in first place.

Our offense doesn't need an upgrade. It needs to find consistency. We score enough runs... jesus, we're second or third in runs scored. Just consistency, baby.

We need to improve in the following two areas: defense and starting pitching. If we had slightly above defense and pitching with our current offense we'd probably be in first place.

Yeah, and if we scored more runs than our opponents, we'd be undefeated.

The problem is, our rotation is terrible, there's no nice way to put it. The hope is that eventually, with Anibal back and JJ sharpened, we can ride up and downs from Olsen and Dontrelle. You just can't upgrade the pitching the way we need it. Ideally, you dump everyone and rebuild the rotation around Anibal and Dontrelle, but that can't happen, we can't afford it nor do we have time to let our youngsters develop while Miggy's here.

Same with the defense. Most of the guys are subpar. To upgrade team defense literally means starting from scratch at no less than 5 positions. You can't do that either.

Instead, adding a catcher upgrades defense and offensive output. To buoy the team like that with one move improves the team more than anything you can reasonably hope for.

When the team is as intrinsically flawed as you claim (and I'm more apt to agree than disagree) the best strategy becomes simply padding the area of strength. I don't think that many would consider the 2006 Mets as a strong defensive team or one with a strong rotation, but they trucked out an American League lineup in the National League. Adding an above average catcher gives us an incredibly strong 1-6, possibly 1-7 if Hermida's hits start finding grass.

Yeah, and if we scored more runs than our opponents, we'd be undefeated.

The problem is, our rotation is terrible, there's no nice way to put it. The hope is that eventually, with Anibal back and JJ sharpened, we can ride up and downs from Olsen and Dontrelle. You just can't upgrade the pitching the way we need it. Ideally, you dump everyone and rebuild the rotation around Anibal and Dontrelle, but that can't happen, we can't afford it nor do we have time to let our youngsters develop while Miggy's here.

Same with the defense. Most of the guys are subpar. To upgrade team defense literally means starting from scratch at no less than 5 positions. You can't do that either.

Instead, adding a catcher upgrades defense and offensive output. To buoy the team like that with one move improves the team more than anything you can reasonably hope for.

When the team is as intrinsically flawed as you claim (and I'm more apt to agree than disagree) the best strategy becomes simply padding the area of strength. I don't think that many would consider the 2006 Mets as a strong defensive team or one with a strong rotation, but they trucked out an American League lineup in the National League. Adding an above average catcher gives us an incredibly strong 1-6, possibly 1-7 if Hermida's hits start finding grass.

I agree. The thing about the rotation is that they're good pitchers with a lot of potential. We've just had a lot of injuries. If we leave the rotation intact I think it can be pretty good.

As for the defense, I agree totally. I can see Hanley's defense progressing, same for Miggy, and perhaps the same for Hermida. The other guys I am not sure. So I suppose we get the catcher as you suggest, and add a pretty good defensive CFer.

The 2003 team was constructed better, IMO. Built around pitching and defense.