All Star Roster Rant

Trey05Marlins

I understand why David Wright is starting at 3B and not Miguel Cabrera. Miguel is by far the best 3B whether you look at stats or how valuable a player is to his team (He leads the club in AVG, HR, and RBI, and they are all better than Wright) but because the fans vote there was no way he was going to start. He deserves to start but it will never happen as long as he is playing in Miami.

We can argue all day on whether or not Hanley and Uggla deserve to be on the team. The only part I take offense to is the rule that each team must be represented. Because they had to reach and select Dmitri Young and Freddy Sanchez it took away vaulable spots for more deserving players. I'm all for trying to get each team represented but the fact is there are much more deserving players.

Because of Dmitri Young, the NL is carrying four 1B, which is two too many most of the time (although I agree with having Lee, Pujols and Fielder this year)

Because of Freddy Sanchez, the NL is carrying three 2B. I know if there were only two it would still be only Utley and Hudson and no Uggla.

The point of all this, ask anyone what the most overloaded position in the NL is this year and they will tell you, Shortstop! Yet the roster only has two of them when you could argue that up to five deserve to be there (Reyes, Hardy, Hanley, Renteria, Rollins). Instead the team is loaded with people on the right side of the infield.

It's no wonder the NL has lost like 10 games in a row!

The NL has lost 10 in a row because the AL is just better. Interleague records show it. Not that this game matters. Since the rule came into the effect, the the world series was always clinched by a team playing an away game.

What does it really do for the Marlins having Uggla and Hanley in the game? Let Reyes risk injury in a game that means absolutly nothing while Hanley gets 3 days of rest.

yes and no...

I completely disagree with your issue about every team being represented...i like that rule...even if the Nats, Pirates, Royals, Rays, and so on are giving us weak players...I do believe every team deserves at least one representative...its only fair...believe it or not, the Nats and Pirates do have fans...

what isnt fair is the fan voting...and we've all argued that one so I won't add to it...

I just don't see how you can agree with Wright starting over Cabrera...yet you have a problem with the Nats and Pirates having a player on there...seems like your picking at the lesser of the two evils...

as a matter of fact, lets be honest...if the "every team represented" rule wasn't in place, the Marlins would have had several seasons without having anyone on the All-Star Team...now would you have been very proud of that?

Wright has more votes then Cabs because girls think he's "hawt" so they voted for him so they can see him come the allstar game :|

Not true, the girls go crazy for the married, overweight type who put their hair in strange cornrows.

I dont know if youre kidding, but its true. The girls love Miggs, or at least all the ones I know who have seen the Marlins for more than 5 minutes.

Wright has more votes then Cabs because girls think he's "hawt" so they voted for him so they can see him come the allstar game :|

Not true, the girls go crazy for the married, overweight type who put their hair in strange cornrows.

I dont know if youre kidding, but its true. The girls love Miggs, or at least all the ones I know who have seen the Marlins for more than 5 minutes.

Chicks dig the long ball, don't they? Especially in 2003, Cabrera was quite the heartthrob. I think he still has the fanbase among girls. He does have a cute face. Just sayin. :whistle

Maybe if the casual fan knew more about Cabrera other than how much he weighs, he could have beaten out Wright.

I have no problem with the rule that each team is represented. I believe the year Conine won the All-Star MVP he was one of those "well, we got to send a Marlin" picks. That turned out pretty good for us.

My problem with the selection this year is that, despite our record, Hanley and/or Uggla deserved to at least be placed on the last man vote.

Maybe if the casual fan knew more about Cabrera other than how much he weighs, he could have beaten out Wright.

Exactly. Look at what national recognition has done for Prince Fielder, who beat out Albert Pujols. And wasn't Pujols the majors' leading vote-getter last season?

Cabrera has been getting dap on ESPN - they don't agree with it either and blame it on the lack of fan base for our guys. I think in reality it's a combination of the goliath fan base of the Mets and our below-average (in volume) fan base. We just can't win a matchup like that.

Francoeur is Atlanta's Miguel when it comes to being a "heartthrob". Oh, and he loves it too. When we were in Atlanta for the Fish series, some teeny bopper girls were squealing when he waved at them after they kept calling out his name (and all this while a game was going on too). He was just smiling, loving it all.

But, I don't really think it's not only that reason that people like Wright got in. I do think the All Star game is pretty much a popularity contest. Whatever though. I am not going to lose any sleep over it. There's nothing we can do and bitching about it isn't going to help any either. We already did our part by voting, right?

The NL has lost 10 in a row because the AL is just better. Interleague records show it.

And what do you make of those years in which the NL held a dominating advantage in interleague play yet lost in the ASG? It's just one game. Though, point taken, since the Angels and other AL teams have made great efforts to sign free agents to keep up with the Yankees and Red Sox, the AL has found itself with slightly better talent.

I understand why David Wright is starting at 3B and not Miguel Cabrera. Miguel is by far the best 3B whether you look at stats or how valuable a player is to his team (He leads the club in AVG, HR, and RBI, and they are all better than Wright) but because the fans vote there was no way he was going to start. He deserves to start but it will never happen as long as he is playing in Miami.

We can argue all day on whether or not Hanley and Uggla deserve to be on the team. The only part I take offense to is the rule that each team must be represented. Because they had to reach and select Dmitri Young and Freddy Sanchez it took away vaulable spots for more deserving players. I'm all for trying to get each team represented but the fact is there are much more deserving players.

Because of Dmitri Young, the NL is carrying four 1B, which is two too many most of the time (although I agree with having Lee, Pujols and Fielder this year)

Because of Freddy Sanchez, the NL is carrying three 2B. I know if there were only two it would still be only Utley and Hudson and no Uggla.

The point of all this, ask anyone what the most overloaded position in the NL is this year and they will tell you, Shortstop! Yet the roster only has two of them when you could argue that up to five deserve to be there (Reyes, Hardy, Hanley, Renteria, Rollins). Instead the team is loaded with people on the right side of the infield.

Didn't Freddy Sanchez win the batting title I have no oroblem with him being selected ...yes Uggla deserves to be there. They just need to up the roster numbers

Didn't Freddy Sanchez win the batting title I have no oroblem with him being selected ...yes Uggla deserves to be there. They just need to up the roster numbers

Yes he did and he's batting .301 this year and the Pirates needed a man on there. Uggla got majorly shafted but Sanchez is pretty deserving of the spot.

Hudson does not deseve to be in the all-star game over Uggla in any way

Exactly. Look at what national recognition has done for Prince Fielder, who beat out Albert Pujols. And wasn't Pujols the majors' leading vote-getter last season?

:thumbup

Hudson does not deseve to be in the all-star game over Uggla in any way

I agree with you that Uggla deserves it more than Hudson, but there is a valid argument for Hudson. He has more hits and a batting average that is 50 points higher than Uggla's. Plus, I haven't seen him play much, but theres no way his defense could be worse than Uggla's

Guest CrimsonCane

Yes he did and he's batting .301 this year and the Pirates needed a man on there. Uggla got majorly shafted but Sanchez is pretty deserving of the spot.

Sanchez won the batting title last year in what was a very flukey / out of the ordinary season for him. Average players have won batting titles before (i.e. Terry Pendleton). Also, his performance in other seasons gives you no indication that he'll be able to ever repeat that performance. One good past season should not give you special consideration in All Star selection.

A .301 BA is hardly a reason to give someone an All Star spot. First off, it's an empty .301. His OBP is .331 and his SLG is .375 (1 HR)! Second, batting average is a TERRIBLE stat to use when judging any player's performance, let alone which players deserve the honor of being selected to an All Star team.

As for the need to have a Pirates representative, Ian Snell is far more deserving.

As for the need to have a Pirates representative, Ian Snell is far more deserving.

So is Tom Gorzelanny.