First arrest made under new film pirating law

TheDon

Per the Sun-Sentinel

New York-

A moviegoer caught secretly recording the sci-fi blockbuster, "Transformers", has been charged with unauthorized use of a video camera in a theater in the 1st arrest under a new NYC law that stiffened penalties for pirating films.

The Motion Picture Association of America says more than 40% of bootlegged films are secretly videotaped in NYC theaters. The copies typically are sold or posted on the Internet, sometimes just HOURS after the movie has been opened.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I hope he gets the full sentence.

Per the Sun-Sentinel

New York-

A moviehoer caught secretly recording the sci-fi blockbuster, "Transformers", has been charged with unauthorized use of a video camera in a theater in the 1st arrest under a new NYC law that stiffened penalties for pirating films.

The Motion Picture Association of America says more than 40% of bootlegged films are secretly videotaped in NYC theaters. The copies typically are sold or posted on the Internet, sometimes just HOURS after the movie has been opened.

What is the full sentence?

6 months in prison is 'not much'?

You do 6 months in prison and then come tell me its 'not much'.

We'll I'll never do 6 months in the tank because Im not a criminal so I won't be able to get back to you on that. :thumbup

But as for your concerns for this upstanding citizen who is making home movies of feature films and then profiting from it, I say, if you want to do the crime, be prepared to do the time. :D

Don't forget, 6 months is the MAXIMUM sentence this clown could receive. Like I mentioned before, I would estimate that he will get probation and a fine and not do more than a day or so inside.

Don't worry, he'll be back out on the street soon enough and then he can get back to "work", stealing from those who work hard for a living.

6 months in prison is 'not much'?

You do 6 months in prison and then come tell me its 'not much'.

We'll I'll never do 6 months in the tank because Im not a criminal so I won't be able to get back to you on that. :thumbup

But as for your concerns for this upstanding citizen who is making home movies of feature films and then profiting from it, I say, if you want to do the crime, be prepared to do the time. :D

Don't forget, 6 months is the MAXIMUM sentence this clown could receive. Like I mentioned before, I would estimate that he will get probation and a fine and not do more than a day or so inside.

Don't worry, he'll be back out on the street soon enough and then he can get back to "work", stealing from those who work hard for a living.

I'm not trying to defend the guy. Penalties are way too strict for EVERYTHING in this country, IMHO.

personally...i think the real crime is having to shell out 10 bucks for alot of the lousy movies they release anyways...but then again...thats pretty much why i stopped going to the movies

For once I agree with you. I hardly ever go to the movies anymore since film producers are content with releasing crap with some flashy graphics and overcharge people for it.

Deciding not to go to the movies because they charge a lot of money is all fine and dandy but doesnt really have anything to do with pirating movies.

With that said I agree that the price of movie tickets (and even worse, popcorn/soda etc) is outrageous.

But it still doesnt make it right to illegally profit from new releases such as this guy did.

Guest Festa

I went to Best Buy a few days ago to buy some legal music. Picked up an album (Kerplunk! by Green Day which came out in 1992) and the second I saw the $20 price tag I dropped it and moved on. Walking away I thought to myself, "And they wonder why people steal music."

I went to Best Buy a few days ago to buy some legal music. Picked up an album (Kerplunk! by Green Day which came out in 1992) and the second I saw the $20 price tag I dropped it and moved on. Walking away I thought to myself, "And they wonder why people steal music."

QF the M'FN T

:notworthy

Fault of the artist or fault of the merchandiser?

And if your answer is fault of the merchandiser does that mean the artist should lose ALL profits to file sharing?

And if your answer is fault of the merchandiser does that mean the artist should lose ALL profits to file sharing?

The great majority of a band's profits come from touring, advertising, licensing, etc. The average band makes like 20 cents per cd or something.

The great majority of a band's profits come from touring, advertising, licensing, etc. The average band makes like 20 cents per cd or something.

haha once again, you took the words right out of my mouth, bobbob

Which is why the digital music revolution will actually be better for bands, since they can cut the middle man out of it for the most part and renegotiate better deals with their labels since they can no longer hold the "production cost" angle over their head in regards to royalties.

Wilco is the model for the future, I think. At various points in the last half decade they have streamed 3 new albums for upwards of 6 months before the release date for free on their website and every single album has resulted in a new record for the band in terms of first week sales. There's nothing a band can do that is more important than getting their music out there for people to hear it. I believe Wilco also currently has all of their albums streaming for free on their webite, though that may have changes recently.

Guest Festa

It's the fault of whoever sets these ridiculous prices. Not that I would give up downloading free music but still, I'm sure if you cut the price of the average CD by 15-20% (to a more reasonable price esp. for older music) more people would be inclined to buy CDs.

Oh so that makes it OK.

:rolleyes:

And when the record company cannot promote said bands tour because record sales are so low (thanks to file sharing) then what happens?

Domino effect meet bobbob. bobbob meet domino effect.

Forget it, I don't know why I even bother.

Oh so that makes it OK.

:rolleyes:

And when the record company cannot promote said bands tour because record sales are so low (thanks to file sharing) then what happens?

Domino effect meet bobbob. bobbob meet domino effect.

Forget it, I don't know why I even bother.

Which is why the digital music revolution will actually be better for bands, since they can cut the middle man out of it for the most part and renegotiate better deals with their labels since they can no longer hold the "production cost" angle over their head in regards to royalties.

Wilco is the model for the future, I think. At various points in the last half decade they have streamed 3 new albums for upwards of 6 months before the release date for free on their website and every single album has resulted in a new record for the band in terms of first week sales. There's nothing a band can do that is more important than getting their music out there for people to hear it. I believe Wilco also currently has all of their albums streaming for free on their webite, though that may have changes recently.

I'm not trying to defend the guy. Penalties are way too strict for EVERYTHING in this country, IMHO.

Ain't that the truth. Whether or not this guy goes to jail, we do send people to jail for all kinds of crazy sh*t. I pointed out the lobster tail thing but in the same article there was a guy who got a 15-year sentence for possession of one .22 caliber bullet. :|

As far as this dude goes...fine him, whatever. But seriously, prison is a huge deal, and for things like videotaping Transformers, unwarranted.

Per the Sun-Sentinel

New York-

A moviegoer caught secretly recording the sci-fi blockbuster, "Transformers", has been charged with unauthorized use of a video camera in a theater in the 1st arrest under a new NYC law that stiffened penalties for pirating films.

Who honestly gives a sh*t to be pumped about this?

Per the Sun-Sentinel

New York-

Who honestly gives a sh*t to be pumped about this?

Thank you for the tremendous insight you have brought to this thread.

Im saddened that I missed your first 5 posts on MB.com