A-Rod to Opt Out

Hammerhead

Guest ShaqandWade323

So what? They're not coming back in the second half with the pitching problems they got and they're too old, he should get out of there and start somewhere fresh.

I originally wrote a long post about this whole issue, but I read a better one on nyyfans.com and figured I'd just quote it here:

Somebody alert the Pullitzer Committee. In a remarkable piece of journalism, Buster Olney has pretty much stated that A-Rod is opting out. Unless he doesn't.

Oh, noes. The Post and News are printing articles about how A-Rod is leaving. Back home, we had a name for that......."selling newspapers."

This is all nothing more than a chess game. There's no "do nothing" option. The Yankees will need to offer a very lucrative extension BEFORE Alex opts out. That way, they get to keep the Texas revenue for the next few years. If and when Alex opts out, that revenue is gone. The more posturing that goes on NOW, the sweeter the pot for the extension that will be offered. Cashman needs to get Boras (and A-Rod) thinking that the extension from the Yankees is for more $$ than he's going to get from somebody else.

Between now and November 10th, everything you read and hear will be dedicated to a single purpose.....drive the Yankees' extension offer into the stratosphere.

-- Maynerd

Maybe its some sort of extention he is looking for after the three year deal. But I dont think there is anyway the yankees let him go. If he wasnt on their team now, they would be much worse. Maybe they will get smart and spend some more money on starting pitching.

Just so I can attempt to clarify for myself:

Yankees will negotiate with him in season to keep him.

Yankees will not negotiate with him if he opts out since they then lose the Texas money.

ARod is looking for a 3 year extension around $90 million to stay, on top of the $80-something he's already owed...so, essentially guaranteeing him a contract that runs through 2013.

Sound about right?

A-Rod is a genious. He's basically playing the New York fan base against the Yanks. He was Roger Maris before the season and they hate him. Now he's Mickey god damn Mantle, and everyone loves him. The fans are going to push that team so hard they will pay any price A-Rod names to keep him there and make them happy.

A-Rod is a genious. He's basically playing the New York fan base against the Yanks. He was Roger Maris before the season and they hate him. Now he's Mickey god damn Mantle, and everyone loves him. The fans are going to push that team so hard they will pay any price A-Rod names to keep him there and make them happy.

Since when do the Yankees give in to what their fans want?

If that was the case ARod would have been gone last year