Samson: Ichiro contract will bring the sport down

Guest Festa

Guest Festa

On LeBatard's show on 790.

He was genuinely shocked "that a singles hitter at the top of the line-up who hasn't led his team to anything is getting such a contract."

He said he "hopes" the rumor of the contract is false.

"It's the end of the world as we know it."

Then he started to talk about how this will only result in more money going into the revenue sharing pool. I'm not going to quote him word for word on how he said that, but he said it to that effect.

:confused

Well, he has the right idea. It's a really big contract coming from a team that has never won a championship, and hasn't made the playoffs in a few years now. It's been downhill since 2001, although they seem to be on the way back from oblivion this year.

It's not the 'end of the world', but it's certainly a contract that will have an impact in the offseason on other new deals.

Guest Festa

They played the clip again:

"No one is worth $20 million a year."

"It's a joke, inexcusable, it's mismanagement."

:|

Bye Cabs. :|

Here's the thing. Ichiro isn't your everyday top of the lineup/singles hitter. Ichiro is probably one of baseballs most marketable players. The amount of money he brings to this team justifies that kind of contract. Other players similar to him may look at this deal and try to compare, but there's no way they can.

Well, he has the right idea. It's a really big contract coming from a team that has never won a championship, and hasn't made the playoffs in a few years now. It's been downhill since 2001, although they seem to be on the way back from oblivion this year.

So why not keep your best player then?

They may have overpaid to keep him from even testing the FA waters but I think the deal is a solid one for a guy who puts butts in the seats and a lot of it is incentives based, which I love.

Guest Festa

Here's the thing. Ichiro isn't your everyday top of the lineup/singles hitter. Ichiro is probably one of baseballs most marketable players. The amount of money he brings to this team justifies that kind of contract. Other players similar to him may look at this deal and try to compare, but there's no way they can.

Exactly.

A concept Samson doesn't seem to grasp. Which is why we as fans are screwed the longer he and his ex-stepfather are controlling this club, especially as Cabs nears free agency.

Does Samson have any involvement in the actual on the field product? Like does he get a say in trades/FA signings, or is he mostly just involved with the marketing side of the baseball operations?

While he has been known to be in the "war room" when trades are made, he keeps to himself.... he knows better

They played the clip again:

"No one is worth $20 million a year."

"It's a joke, inexcusable, it's mismanagement."

:|

Bye Cabs. :|

Sadly your probably right. He is just laying the groundwork for Cabs leaving saying no player is worth that kind of money. Way to undervalue your superstar Samson you little troll!

I happen to agree with Samson on Ichiro not being worth $20 million. Of course he probably shouldn't be saying it on the radio, but I think he is right that it is just way too much money for a singles hitter.

He's alot more than a singles hitter.

And one of these years, when he finally loses a step, Ichiro is just gonna say "f*** it" and hit 30 homers. He is all world talent. His job is to get on base and score runs. If they wanted him in the 3 hole, I have no doubt he would make a great 3 hole hitter.

That and he can hit any pitch, anywhere on the field. He has awesome range in the outfield to go with an otherworldly arm. Last year he stole 45 bases and was caught twice.

Guest Festa

I happen to agree with Samson on Ichiro not being worth $20 million. Of course he probably shouldn't be saying it on the radio, but I think he is right that it is just way too much money for a singles hitter.

And one of these years, when he finally loses a step, Ichiro is just gonna say "f*** it" and hit 30 homers. He is all world talent. His job is to get on base and score runs. If they wanted him in the 3 hole, I have no doubt he would make a great 3 hole hitter.

That and he can hit any pitch, anywhere on the field. He has awesome range in the outfield to go with an otherworldly arm. Last year he stole 45 bases and was caught twice.

Add that to what he brings to the team in Japanese interest aka dollars.

There are only a few players in the league you 'need' to overpay for to have them on your because of what the players brings to the franchise off the field. Ichiro is one of these guys.

Cabrera is also one of these guys. I hope when the time comes, if these tools are still in charge, they are ready to pay alittle more than they would for another player.

Exactly.

A concept Samson doesn't seem to grasp. Which is why we as fans are screwed the longer he and his ex-stepfather are controlling this club, especially as Cabs nears free agency.

There's lots of concepts Samson doesn't grasp. About the only concept that we know Samson grasps involves the penis pump that he self-admittidly keeps in his car.

Add that to what he brings to the team in Japanese interest aka dollars.

There are only a few players in the league you 'need' to overpay for to have them on your because of what the players brings to the franchise off the field. Ichiro is one of these guys.

Cabrera is also one of these guys. I hope when the time comes, if these tools are still in charge, they are ready to pay alittle more than they would for another player.

I agree with your thought, but I'd add that Dontrelle brings in more bucks off the field compared to Cabrera. To the right team. Which is why nobody should be worried about his trade value declining signifigantly. Whatever though, should we trade Cabs or Dontrelle, we'll get a king's ransom in return.

Did you hear Leyland's quote after the all-star game? Something to the effect that Ichiro hit the most HRs in batting practice, and that he did it with such ease, and it scared the crap out of him because the Tigers face the Ms right after the break. Ichiro could do more, but he knows his role with the team is to get on base - and he does it well.