This is the attitude that makes him underperform...

From the official site:

Because he was throwing his 'pen a day closer to his Friday start against the Reds, Olsen shortened his session.

"I just didn't throw as much, didn't throw as many pitches," he said. "We still got everything out of it that we would have gotten out of it, it was just a lighter load."

First off: Yes, I agree that it was proper to shorten his bullpen session because he's doing it a day closer to his scheduled start.

But for me--especially after reading that article about his nature posted here a couple of weeks ago, where all he talks about is how he's so much better when he doesn't work hard or study hard-- that boldened statement just throws red flags all over. Scotty needs to learn that working less DOES NOT equal getting "everything out of it that we would have gotten out of it."

Again, I'm not criticizing that he threw a lighter load, just the comment he made that gave us yet another glimpse to his lazy mentality.

While i agree his attitude has been bad, i think this is piling on.

It will be VERY interesting to watch him progress throughout his career and see if he can calm down. A lot of attitudes improve as they get older and more mature, a lot never change. I'll be rooting for him and hope he can harness it because the talent is there. We all saw it last year.

I'm not drawing any talent comparisons here nor should my comments be construed as such but Olsen reminds me of a young, brash, a**hole getting into fights regularly on Newbury St. at Daisy Buchanan's Roger Clemens who was widely considered the biggest jerk the Red Sox ever had on their roster his first couple of years in MLB.

So when I see Olsen acting out I'm reminded that yes some people are tragically going to spend their lives this way while others grow out of it. Not saying which group Olsen falls into but there is hope this is just a phase.

Just for a bit of unofficial inside info......Olsen went to CLS up here in his high school days and I had a friend that was an underclassmen when he was the star baller as a junior and senior. Basically, to make a long story short, Olsen is actually not a bad guy. The problem is he's about as cocky a mother f***er as you'll ever find and has a bad temper, which to say the least is a bad combo. He has all the talent in the world, but the Marlins need to somehow find somebody that can calm him down, but unfortunately I think he might be more of a change of scenery guy that will be good somewhere else, and that's not the Marlins fault at all. I hope I'm wrong though, nice to see the local kids do well, and I still do like the Marlins.

Just for a bit of unofficial inside info......Olsen went to CLS up here in his high school days and I had a friend that was an underclassmen when he was the star baller as a junior and senior. Basically, to make a long story short, Olsen is actually not a bad guy. The problem is he's about as cocky a mother f***er as you'll ever find and has a bad temper, which to say the least is a bad combo. He has all the talent in the world, but the Marlins need to somehow find somebody that can calm him down, but unfortunately I think he might be more of a change of scenery guy that will be good somewhere else, and that's not the Marlins fault at all. I hope I'm wrong though, nice to see the local kids do well, and I still do like the Marlins.

In my opinion his continued confrontations with teammates combined with his behavior in Milwaukee and his abusive behavior towards the clubhouse attendant and the never ending whining about the Phillies every time they kick his ass makes him a major a**hole.

I also disagree with the notion that he has all the talent in the world.

In my opinion his continued confrontations with teammates combined with his behavior in Milwaukee and his abusive behavior towards the clubhouse attendant and the never ending whining about the Phillies every time they kick his ass makes him a major a**hole.

That's fine if you think he's an a-hole, but if you watched him last year and don't think he's extremely talented, you must have been getting bad reception on your T.V. or something.

At this point I am in full agreeance with Polo

That's fine if you think he's an a-hole, but if you watched him last year and don't think he's extremely talented, you must have been getting bad reception on your T.V. or something.

Last year's success, limited success at that, was because hitters were fooled by his slider, they couldn't pick it up. That's no longer the case and he's getting murdered.

Last year's success, limited success at that, was because hitters were fooled by his slider, they couldn't pick it up. That's no longer the case and he's getting murdered.

Johan Santana has all the talent in the world. Smoltz, Beckett etc etc. Scott Olsen has ability and talent, but nothing that as yet translates into "all the talent in the world".

Johan Santana has all the talent in the world. Smoltz, Beckett etc etc. Scott Olsen has ability and talent, but nothing that as yet translates into "all the talent in the world".

:lol at that logic.

Olsen has all the talent in the world. He just hasn't learned to use it yet. BIG difference between talent/potential and results. :thumbup

Anyone who has watched this year has noticed his slider hasn't had the bite it did last season. It has nothing to do with guys picking it up, but rather it just isnt breaking like it did.

He does have a LOT of talent and I would bet off the field he isn't a bad guy, he just needs to tone it down.

I don't mind his temper. What I don't like is his attitude to training and preparing for games. He seems to be the kind of person that expects things to just "fall in place" because of his talent, and doesn't understand that you need to work hard to harness your talent. If he can fix that, nobody will care about his temper.

I really think it's time we place Olsen on waivers. He's too old to improve and I see no future for this guy in major league baseball.

Maybe we can move him for Damon Rollins or some old vet

I nearly forgot to mention. Congrats on your boy Reggie. His OPS of .885 with Albuquerque marks a personal best. Most players succeed in the minors before sticking in the show, but with numbers like Reggie has put up in 2 of the 4 months this year, he's bound to break the trend.

Question: what would you rather have?

A. The Olsen, Burnett or Beckett that kills you with their unrealized talent

B. The Pierre or Conine that work hard all the time and sometimes work themselves into half-season long slumps?

Niner and JP.

I don't know. There's a level of drama to A. B isn't even that frustrating. It's just who they are and you accept it. Every team needs a mix of both probably. But as a Marlins fan, I've also grown accustomed to riding the waves with player A. There's nothing predictable or boring about the Marlins franchise.

B. The Pierre or Conine that work hard all the time and sometimes work themselves into half-season long slumps?

Niner and JP.

I don't know. There's a level of drama to A. B isn't even that frustrating. It's just who they are and you accept it. Every team needs a mix of both probably. But as a Marlins fan, I've also grown accustomed to riding the waves with player A. There's nothing predictable or boring about the Marlins franchise.

Well, if you had replaced JP with Julio or Matt Herges or something, I still would have picked the side Niners on...I'm rediculous about my childhood heroes like that.

I really think it's time we place Olsen on waivers. He's too old to improve and I see no future for this guy in major league baseball.

I nearly forgot to mention. Congrats on your boy Reggie. His OPS of .885 with Albuquerque marks a personal best. Most players succeed in the minors before sticking in the show, but with numbers like Reggie has put up in 2 of the 4 months this year, he's bound to break the trend.

I'll be sure to tell him that you are proud of him.

Talent wise Beckett is a notch above AJ and AJ is about 3 notches above Olsen or in other words Olsen doesn't belong in the same talent sentence with Beckett and AJ.

I would take Beckett, Burnett and Conine in that order.

Just so I don't misstep.. the underperforming Marlins that cannot be criticized are Jeremy, Olsen and Tank. Did I miss anyone? I just don't wanna screw up again.