More Rumors

Marlins don't want to deal Olsen?

Word is the Marlins don't want to trade Scott Olsen because of his talent and faith he will eventually mature. -- Miami Herald

Anibal to file grievance against Marlins?

Anibal Sanchez is unhappy about being on the minor-league disabled list, and his agent -- Beverly Hills Sports Council's Dan Lozano -- said he will file a grievance against the Marlins if an agreement isn't reached by week's end. Demoted to Triple A on May 4, Sanchez didn't pitch again before shoulder surgery June 21. He wants to be on the major-league DL to get a higher salary and collect service time to become arbitration-eligible sooner. It's too soon to tell whether he will be ready by spring training. -- Miami Herald

Marlins Hanley may have shoulder surgery?

Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez said there is a chance he might undergo surgery after the season to repair his injury-prone left shoulder. ''But I don't want to think about that right now,'' said Ramirez, who sustained a partially dislocated shoulder on Sunday, the second time in two seasons he has had the same injury. Indications are Ramirez probably won't play until the upcoming series in San Francisco, though manager Fredi Gonzalez said Ramirez is starting to ''pester'' him about returning to the lineup. -- Miami Herald

M's scouting D-Train

A Seattle scout attended Monday's game to watch left-hander Dontrelle Willis, who allowed four runs in 62/3 innings in his best start since the All-Star break. -- Palm Beach Post

a side note

According to Elias Sports Bureau, Marlins outfielder Todd Linden on Monday became the first position player in six years to strike out looking four times in one game. The last: second baseman Luis Castillo, who was called out on strikes four times in a 2001 game with the Marlins. Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Carlos Villanueva, in 2006, was also the victim of an event that is rarer statistically than a no-hitter, at least in recent years. Since 1999, Elias found only four occurrences. There have been 13 no-hitters over the same period, and 36 instances of a player hitting for the cycle. -- Miami Herald

I really hope Hanley doesn't injure himself further because Fredi hurried him back into the lineup. That surgery may be needed sooner rather than later.

It looks a lot more like Hanley is trying to be rushed back into the lineup than Fredi is planning on rushing Hanley back into the lineup

Does it not ultimately come down to Fredi's yes or no?

Hanley did the same thing last year and ended up winning ROY. This isn't a serious injury and only takes a couple days to "heal." Because this a recurring injury (3rd time counting his Winter Ball episode) he needs to do something about it. If he has already tried special exercises to alleviate the problem, which I have to assume he and the trainers have worked on, then the next logical step is surgery. I would think it is a very minor and basic type thing that won't have him feeling any ill effects for long. He will be ready for ST next year but probably won't be doing any Winter Ball this year (a blessing in disguise, IMO).

I'd feel so much better about the whole thing if some newspaper, somewhere, ran an MRI report for Hanley.

The damage isn't the shoulder, the damage isn't done to the shoulder, the damage is done to the muscles surrounding and stabilizing the shoulder. Anything Hanley tries to 'play through' sets him weeks if not months back.

Surgery's understandable, offseason surgeries are very frequent, but a seemingly half assed evaluation of what seems to be an 800 pound gorilla in the room is really unsettling.

I'd feel so much better about the whole thing if some newspaper, somewhere, ran an MRI report for Hanley.

The damage isn't the shoulder, the damage isn't done to the shoulder, the damage is done to the muscles surrounding and stabilizing the shoulder. Anything Hanley tries to 'play through' sets him weeks if not months back.

Surgery's understandable, offseason surgeries are very frequent, but a seemingly half assed evaluation of what seems to be an 800 pound gorilla in the room is really unsettling.

yup, very concerned about the team's approach to this

:notworthy

Good MRI results would ease his mind, Gonzalez's mind and our minds.

While the Marlins say Dontrelle Willis isn't available, they're apparently telling other teams that they'll listen to offers.

The Yankees, Dodgers, Mariners, Diamondbacks and Indians are thought to have inquired about the struggling left-hander, who isn't a free agent until after 2009.Source: Yahoo! Sports

i hope we are at least talking to teams about Dontrelle and considering offers. It's not unlike Beinfest to not want it to be known that he is selling a player when infact he is.

I share the same concern and wonder why no one in the media seems to share it.

While the Marlins say Dontrelle Willis isn't available, they're apparently telling other teams that they'll listen to offers.

The Yankees, Dodgers, Mariners, Diamondbacks and Indians are thought to have inquired about the struggling left-hander, who isn't a free agent until after 2009.Source: Yahoo! Sports

JOBA CHAMBERLAIN! :mis2

Don't mind me, just praying on miracles . . .

Joba is not nearly enough IMO. Yankees would give him up for Dontrelle, too. I'd want Tabata too, which probably wouldn't happen, but you never know.

Are you a Yankee fan?

Because they'll do that deal in a millisecond.

I understand the concern. And I would think an MRI couldn't hurt, and actually who really knows if it was done or not. But this is a recurring injury. I am positive they have done MRIs in the past and know what his shoulder looks like. Apparently he has a deficiency in those muscles that exercise hasn't worked on. Wed he was fielding balls during warm ups, straight at him and to his back side. Thursday he will try a few swings. We have an excellent medical staff and I think we just have to consider they know what they are doing in this case. Last saeson the same thing happened and he came back in a few days on fire. This past winter the same thing happened and he was doing just fine during ST and the regular season. I think off season surgery is the answer. If that works then great. If not he may be labeled as a very gifted player that is semi-fragile. But I'll still take his talent with the glove and bat and the few days he may need to "rehab" that shoulder every now and then.

I would really be concerned if it happens again before the season is over. Nothing in his past indicates that it will, but... I really don't think this is a play off bound team but I do think he should be out there at every opportunity to keep fine tuning his skills. I do wonder if continuing will do further damage but it hasn't as of yet. IF it were to happen again then I would be okay with shutting him down and do the surgery now.

Upton, Bourn options for Marlins in center

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2007 12:53 pm EDT

The Florida Marlins have looked around for a long-term solution in center field, with Franklin Gutierrez of the Cleveland Indians, Michael Bourn of the Philadelphia Phillies and B.J. Upton of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays coming under consideration.

But they might wait until the offseason to intensify the search.

Source: Miami Herald

Related: Michael Bourn, Franklin Guti?rrez, Cleveland Indians, Florida Marlins, Philadelphia Phillies, Tampa Bay Devil Rays

I doubt the Rays would give up Upton, but if we can land him, sweet :)

I understand the concern. And I would think an MRI couldn't hurt, and actually who really knows if it was done or not. But this is a recurring injury. I am positive they have done MRIs in the past and know what his shoulder looks like. Apparently he has a deficiency in those muscles that exercise hasn't worked on. Wed he was fielding balls during warm ups, straight at him and to his back side. Thursday he will try a few swings. We have an excellent medical staff and I think we just have to consider they know what they are doing in this case. Last saeson the same thing happened and he came back in a few days on fire. This past winter the same thing happened and he was doing just fine during ST and the regular season. I think off season surgery is the answer. If that works then great. If not he may be labeled as a very gifted player that is semi-fragile. But I'll still take his talent with the glove and bat and the few days he may need to "rehab" that shoulder every now and then.

I would really be concerned if it happens again before the season is over. Nothing in his past indicates that it will, but... I really don't think this is a play off bound team but I do think he should be out there at every opportunity to keep fine tuning his skills. I do wonder if continuing will do further damage but it hasn't as of yet. IF it were to happen again then I would be okay with shutting him down and do the surgery now.

That's the absolute dumbest statement and justification I have ever read.