Next Year's 25 man roster

I was just looking through the roster, trying to figure out what moves to expect this offseason (such as who we are going to resign, who we will let go, etc). This is the 25 man roster I've figured on, barring any trades.

1. Hanley Ramirez

2. Dan Uggla

3. Miguel Cabrera

4. Mike Jacobs

5. Josh Willingham

6. Jeremy Hermida

7. Alejandro De Aza

8. Free Agent Catcher or John Baker

9. Alfredo Amezaga

10. Matt Treanor

11. Cody Ross

12. Jason Wood or Aaron Boone

13. Todd Linden or Free Agent

14. Dontrelle Willis

15. Sergio Mitre

16. Scott Olsen

17. Rick VandenHurk

18. Ricky Nolasco

19. Kevin Gregg

20. Matt Lindstrom

21. Henry Owens

22. Taylor Tankersley

23. Carlos Martinez

24. Logan Kensing

25. Renyel Pinto

This had me letting Lee Gardner, Justin Miller, Armando Benitez go (I just don't see any room for these guys, barring a trade). I wanted to leave a spot for Gaby Hernandez or Barone, but I'm not sure which arm to remove from the team. I know its early to do things like this, but it's always fun to think about next year :)

Waaaay too early but I'll play...

Not sure if De Aza comes back... he hasn't shown much at this point.... I expect (barring trades) a 4 man race for CF in Amezaga, Reggie, Carroll and De Aza

Not sure if Jake comes back... he's cheap and he's solid but is that good enough?

I think Gaby has himself a rotation spot as well

I think this organization has no choice but to go out and get a CF this offseason if they feel De Aza can't get it done. Two years is enough time to figure out what we have within our organization. However, CF is not my biggest concern . I'm more concerned about 1B. Jake is fine, but he's not reliable. I'd take his bat in the 6-8 spots, but I just don't trust him in the 5 hole. He's too streaky and k's too much. If the FO is looking to improve the team next year one thing they must realize is that we K too much, which leads to stranding many runners. Now, running Olivo out of town will certainly lower our k numbers next year. But how much can we really trust Baker/Hayes/Treanor offensively? We can hope that Treanor has figured it out offensively and can get the bulk of the PT next year. If he hits .250 next year I'd be thrilled because offense is not our problem, it's our strength. Pitching and defense is what has lost us 95% of our games this year. Our rotation must become stable. Willis must have an ERA in the 3.50 range. We have to hope that Vandenhurk matures quickly, same with Gaby. We must hope Olsen can at least lower his ERA to the 4.0-4.5 range. We need Mitre to become more stable over the course of the season. Anibal Sanchez will be the wild card. When he comes back he will need to pitch well for this team to dream of going anywhere. And then there's Volstad. The way he's finished off the season in AA gives you great hope for the future. The only concerns will be when will he be ready and to not rush him. Given the way the Marlins care about service time, if they call him up it means they think we can win (ignoring injuries). The bullpen will be solid with the return of Owens and Martinez (hopefully back with his stuff). No concerns here except for keeping them fresh.

I wonder how much Kenny Lofton would cost...He did get 6m last offseason but Texas really overpayed. He was only make a few mil up until that point, post-big contract anyway.

And, when thinking about the fact that our AAA field is the minor league version of Coors Field, I saw a split I didn't like for John Baker:

Home: .905 OPS

Away: .727 OPS

:| :| :|

However, looking deeper into the numbers...the low humidity only really means more home runs and doubles right? It doesn't mean a higher average? Well, I mean, it does affect average in the sense that an out can become a double or a homerun, but...

Home: HR every 35 ABs, 2B every 15 ABs

Away: HR every 27.2 ABs, 2B every 19.43 ABs

So although he does have a better 2b rate at home, he also has a lot better hr rate on the road. The main thing is singles

Home: Single every 4.04 ABs

Away: Single every 6.48 AB

While 2 and half ABs might not sound like that big of a difference, but it's the difference of about .100 .baa difference, so yeah, it makes a big difference

He also has an extremely high babip for his home average (.393) while only have a slightly-below-average one for his away average (.283).

I like his eye, but really it's not much better then Treanor's, Baker has a little bit more pop but not much, and hitting for average...considering all the adjustments Treanor has made, well, I'm not expecting Treanor to continue to be a .300+ hitter but I also don't think he'll be a .200 hitter again. By this point I'm really only looking at it as a Treanor v.s. Hayes for the starting job.

I think this organization has no choice but to go out and get a CF this offseason if they feel De Aza can't get it done. Two years is enough time to figure out what we have within our organization. However, CF is not my biggest concern . I'm more concerned about 1B. Jake is fine, but he's not reliable. I'd take his bat in the 6-8 spots, but I just don't trust him in the 5 hole. He's too streaky and k's too much. If the FO is looking to improve the team next year one thing they must realize is that we K too much, which leads to stranding many runners. Now, running Olivo out of town will certainly lower our k numbers next year. But how much can we really trust Baker/Hayes/Treanor offensively? We can hope that Treanor has figured it out offensively and can get the bulk of the PT next year. If he hits .250 next year I'd be thrilled because offense is not our problem, it's our strength. Pitching and defense is what has lost us 95% of our games this year. Our rotation must become stable. Willis must have an ERA in the 3.50 range. We have to hope that Vandenhurk matures quickly, same with Gaby. We must hope Olsen can at least lower his ERA to the 4.0-4.5 range. We need Mitre to become more stable over the course of the season. Anibal Sanchez will be the wild card. When he comes back he will need to pitch well for this team to dream of going anywhere. And then there's Volstad. The way he's finished off the season in AA gives you great hope for the future. The only concerns will be when will he be ready and to not rush him. Given the way the Marlins care about service time, if they call him up it means they think we can win (ignoring injuries). The bullpen will be solid with the return of Owens and Martinez (hopefully back with his stuff). No concerns here except for keeping them fresh.

With Owens track record in the minors, not only was I surprised that was a 27 or so year old rookie, but in no was was his success in his small sample size a fluke. His ERA in 7 minor league seasons is 2.89, 12.35 k/9. Im excited about having him back next year, of course depending on his shoulder problems.

you know normally id say its too early to do this..but the way this year has gone the "wait till next year" slogan comes to mind.

2008 roster

treanor

baker

jacobs

uggla

ramirez

cabrera

amezega

boone/ conine(i hope for the right price he would come back for one more go around)

wood

willingham

ross

hermida

free agent CF/ De Aza

willis

mitre

olsen

sanchez(if hes back healthy)

nolasco

miller

lindstrom

owens

pinto

tankersley

gardner/ TBA depends on whether the front office brings him back

gregg

also left off but possible return based on price: BK kim

Ill even go a step further and put up my hope for the batting order opening day

1. Ramirez

2. Hermida

3. Cabrera

4. Willingham

5. Uggla

6. Jacobs

7. Treanor

8. De Aza/ other CF

9. Willis

The no. 8 spot could change depending on whos in CF

Is Justin Miller a FA after this year? If so, I can't see the front office giving him the raise he'd command. And if he has a terrible September to go with his terrible August, I'm not even sure I'd want him back, considering the other candidates for the bullpen next season. That money would much better be served going into a new catcher or centerfielder.

Not sure if De Aza comes back... he hasn't shown much at this point.... I expect (barring trades) a 4 man race for CF in Amezaga, Reggie, Carroll and De Aza

Not sure if Jake comes back... he's cheap and he's solid but is that good enough?

De Aza hasn't shown much? Seriously? He is way better than any crap we've thrown out there in CF, and while Pasta is a baller, he can't touch De Aza's hitting ability with a 10 ft pole....(oh, and he's not half bad defensively either, great instincts and speed.)

Jake, I agree he K's too much, but what else we have? We are not going to sign anybody (we're the marlins, come on...and I doubt we trade pitching for hitting, judging by this season's health) We don't need any changes offensively, except cutting Olivo's scrub ass.

Gaby I agree, he'll probably be in there in ST battling for a spot.

As for the bullpen, we should remain pretty much the same, except Benitez needs to go and Gardy and Miller time need to stick. Then we just to stay healthy and stop killing our pitchers, and with some luck, we'll be fine.

De Aza hasn't shown much? Seriously? He is way better than any crap we've thrown out there in CF, and while Pasta is a baller, he can't touch De Aza's hitting ability with a 10 ft pole....(oh, and he's not half bad defensively either, great instincts and speed.)

De Aza is hitting .263/.288/.364

bleh

why would Vanden Hurk be on team next year?

Because he's a solid young arm with good upside who got his feet wet (nearly drowned if you wanna put it another way) and should be better next year

Would you predict Hurk and Gaby both in the rotation? Maybe Nolasco in the pen?

For the second straight offseason I will be waiting for moves made to improve catcher and CF.

C- Treanor

1B- Jacobs

2B- Uggla

3B- Cabrera

SS- Hanley

LF- Willingham

CF- DeAza

RF- Linden

Bench- Cody Ross, Alfredo Amezaga, Random Catcher X, Aaron Boone, Jeremy Hermida

SP- Dontrelle Willis

SP- Scott "the Shocker" Olsen

SP- Ricky Nolasco

SP- Sergio Mitre

SP- Random Hasbeen

LR- Renyel Pinto

LR- Justin Miller

MR- Carlos Martinez

MR- Henry Owens

MR- Taylor Tankersley

SU- Matt Lindstrom

CL- Kevin Gregg

C- Treanor

1B- Jacobs

2B- Uggla

3B- Cabrera

SS- Hanley

LF- Willingham

CF- DeAza

RF- Linden

Bench- Cody Ross, Alfredo Amezaga, Random Catcher X, Aaron Boone, Jeremy Hermida

SP- Dontrelle Willis

SP- Ricky Nolasco

SP- Sergio Mitre

SP- Random Hasbeen

LR- Renyel Pinto

LR- Justin Miller

MR- Carlos Martinez

MR- Henry Owens

MR- Taylor Tankersley

SU- Matt Lindstrom

CL- Kevin Gregg

You havent seen Hermida for the past 2 months

C- Treanor

1B- Jacobs

2B- Uggla

3B- Cabrera

SS- Hanley

LF- Willingham

CF- DeAza

RF- Linden

SP- Dontrelle Willis

SP- Ricky Nolasco

SP- Sergio Mitre

SP- Random Hasbeen

LR- Renyel Pinto

LR- Justin Miller

MR- Carlos Martinez

MR- Henry Owens

MR- Taylor Tankersley

SU- Matt Lindstrom

CL- Kevin Gregg